3Dbuzz top 10 finalist so far

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Aldgazar - Evan Slaughter
axeman137 - James Scott
chronos78 - Lee Renaud
DanteAlighieri - Vytautas Katarzis
genthly - Michael Gmur
Hyrage - Christian Philippe Guay
Ignotium - Samuel Méndez
Setheran - Thomas Browett
sklare - Kevin Cytatzky
tophatbrim - Jonathan Armstrong

so these are the 10 finalist for the 3dbuzz contest that were revealed in the last show, sorted in alphabetical order (nicknames).

as you could see, some awesome maps like those from Plutonic, Zixxer and Luv_Studd didn't make it, dunno why :(

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Look I don't want to slam anyone but I don't get how DG's map and Luv_studd's awesome DM-Gutter was beaten out by DM-Ebb and DM-Citadel in particular. Those maps need an awful lot of work and there is no way I could see the community playing them more than some of the other entries. Something just isn't right. And yeah Zixxer's map definitely is better than some of the levels that were picked. I just don't understand what those judges were looking for. Some of the entries didn't even follow all the rules and yet they still made it to the next round. I don't know about this content seriously. Some of the maps have awful framerates on MY SYSTEM which is pretty damn powerful and that is not something that is acceptable imo.

And how does Arise and Marauder not make it into the top 10 when Ebb does? Are you kidding me? Man this is one messed up contest when I look at the stuff that made it in and the amazing maps that didn't. And Velocity is really a great solid level ... with a little bit better flow and the loss of all those portals which really hinder both the pace and flow of the game it could have placed higher as well. Honestly if I was one of these LDs I would seriously protest and ask for a review of the critieria. When you know in your heart your level is really better than lots of others then you do really need to press the issue for a satisfactory answer. Now I know why so many other LDs just leave these contests alone. They are pure BS.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I wanna know how Axeman's map (DM-Xenon) got through.

1) It was made and finished way before the contest was annnounced.
2) It uses custom meshes.
3) I don't recall a thread on the forums.
4) I think he would have asked me if it was ok to enter it into the contest (I made the layout).

???

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I wanna know how Axeman's map (DM-Xenon) got through.

1) It was made and finished way before the contest was annnounced.
2) It uses custom meshes.
3) I don't recall a thread on the forums.
4) I think he would have asked me if it was ok to enter it into the contest (I made the layout).

???

I thought it used some custom materials ... yeah its a great level but considering that it breaks the rules it should not have made it ... and you are right that since it is your layout it would have professional of Axe to ask you if you minded him putting it in the contest. What did I say above ... now you know what I mean when I say there are some real problems with how this contest is being run.

Edit: Here is the forum thread:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=168100&highlight=DM-Xenon

He does acknowledge using one of your old 2K4 layouts ...

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
WTF? It had to have been some kind of a technical thing... :con:

how about no?

Performance => Top notch, no hitches
Custom Meshes => None, only meshes included with the game
Custom Textures => None, only textures included with the game
Gameplay => Top notch, marauder is awesome and feels like the best 2k4 map possible for the ut3. Gutter, great decayed city combat, awesome pathing and everything. Focus Great maze like gameplay and great Z bombat
Visuals => Marauder colors are so gently and subtle, Gutter great and awesome kick ass visual style in the way of defiance. Focus, great caves, great sun effects, great vegetation

Seriously, some of the maps that made it have awfull performance. I mean, i play on medium setting at a medium resolution to get +60fps MINIMUM on every map, on these maps kick my guts to 15 fps. performance? performance my nuts. One of the maps even had the "lighting need to be rebuilt" message all over it, i mean come on! :mad:

I know that i should be happy cause i made it to the top 10, but i don know why i just cant accept these results.

Calibrah has a less than desirable performance, and it passed
And Xenon from axeman had one custom static mesh that used 5 maps and a cubemap with custom maps (UNLESS he submitted a modded version w/o the custom content)

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
That one with the lighting that needs to be rebuilt would be Citadel which has a poor layout and doesn't get good frames at all.

Which map is yours StatooS?

I think this may be a different version of Xenon as well. I am going to check it out and compare it to the original. I'll report back later.

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Which map is yours StatooS?

I think this may be a different version of Xenon as well. I am going to check it out and compare it to the original. I'll report back later.

My map is DM-Nimius, under the Ignotium alias

and i think that axeman did not post his version

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm just still trying to wrap my head around how Plutonic's level wouldn't have even made it into the top ten. It's Plutonic for Christ's sakes. He was making incredibly awesome maps back in the days of Unreal. He made levels for the UT2004 retail package.

I tried Luv_Studd's and Zixxer's maps too and fail to see how they wouldn't have cracked the top ten. Looking at the levels that did make it, I could only figure that it HAD to be some kind of technical reason since there were a lot of unusual requirements for the contest.

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
My map is DM-Nimius, under the Ignotium alias

and i think that axeman did not post his version

Oh right right ... I don't know how I could forget that man ... sorry ... and yes your map was definitely a map worthy of being in the top 10 even if its play style doesn't suit me and I don't play it. It is still technically very good and has a good layout although it is punishing until you really get the hang of it.

Well DM-Xenon is definitely a different version from the previous release back in April ... maybe he did remove all the custom content. It is not like Axeman to try and dishonor the rules of a contest. he is a good dude ... I am sure the full story makes sense.

Edit: One thing that I spotted that was different is that the AXE signs are gone and they have been replaced with the stock Liandri Robot signs. So if that is all that was custom then this was definitely legal ... I'm certain there are other changes as well but since he didn't update the readme with any new information its hard to tell even after playing through. Another good thing is this version is also PS3 compatible so if AXE wants the file he can pm me.

Another thing is that all these maps should cook for the PS3 with no issues if they are using only stock assets and no custom materials so if a map gives warnings about not being able to compile material or a staticmesh error then it is good chance that the map is not completely following the rules. And I found this issue with White Realm. The judges need to check into these kinds of things as well and use that test as an easy verification tool.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe 3DBuzz decided to make judgement calls on spotlighting some lesser known mappers instead of just handing out all the top 10 to professionals? (I honestly don't know, just speculating.)

As nice as the maps that came out of 3DBuzz' contest may be, I have a hard time classifying a lot of them as old school. I kind of envisioned more HOLP-style maps. Not that I mind either way, but when you're producing maps comparable to the retail content I don't think you can really call your map old school anymore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Calibrah runs great for me, but ugh! Plutonic's map is truly a sight to behold, and not in the top ten? Sucks.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Well a contest is a contest and if it open to everyone then you have to judge it fairly and not say "well this guy has been around so lets give the new mappers some encouragement by choosing their stuff" ... it just is not fair to everyone who has worked to create something really good and not slap some crap together. There are prizes involved and so you have to do the right thing and award the best content regardless of who created it.

As far as HOLP style I think you missed the discussion about what their definition of old school is in this particular contest ... what it meant was merely using only stock assets and not making any meshes with an outside program and import them into the level.

Now after doing some testing and looking at maps I have to give my take on what the top 10 are in no particular order:

- Marauder (that this was excluded is a crime. The map is excellent in every way ... the flow is great and the visuals are excellent ... a great skybox with a cool hovering craft and you are telling me Ebb is better than this level? Absurd I say.)

- Xenon (if it didn't break any rules)

- DG-1on1OutofGas (it is the most unique looking of all the maps and combined with an excellent flow should have been picked ... it shows what you can do when you are really creative ... there is no other level in existence in the UT universe that resembles this level)

- Steam Temple (just an amazing level ... incredible in all its detail)

- Calibrah

- Gutter (another level I am just stunned was not chosen ... it is definitely one of the most fun, best looking, and tightest maps around ... maybe the dead end helmet pickup costs it some points but man that is a minor flaw when you consider all the other elements of this level)

- Arise (one of the best small levels I have ever played with great flow and no dead ends at all ... also this has a great skybox ... what are those judges thinking)

- Focus

- Nimius (not my type of map but it is very technically well done with nice visuals and a solid theme ... great for people who love low grav levels ... definitely deserved to be chosen)

- I'm not certain about my last pick. I like White Realm, Orbital-Decay Lite and DM-Botanica so yeah this last one is up in the air.

And btw All of the levels I chose also work fine on the PS3 with the exception of Calibrah and the author is aware of that and will be working on making one that plays better. Also I don't know about Nimius as I am not really into low grav so I didn't bother to cook this level. It should cook with no issues though so Ignotium you may want to make this available to PS3 users at some point.

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah Anuban, I'm not saying anyone does or doesn't deserve anything, just that there may have been a problem on 3DBuzz' part communicating the spirit of the rules and/or judging criteria. That's a snafu, but it is their contest and their rules and their prizes to hand out.

I just hope in the future that if they want to do another (and I hope they / someone does) that any sorts of problems may be sorted out.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Yeah Anuban, I'm not saying anyone does or doesn't deserve anything, just that there may have been a problem on 3DBuzz' part communicating the spirit of the rules and/or judging criteria. That's a snafu, but it is their contest and their rules and their prizes to hand out.

I just hope in the future that if they want to do another (and I hope they / someone does) that any sorts of problems may be sorted out.

it is definitely their contest no doubt but if they are not going to be fair then the contest will lose all credibility with the better mappers and in the future there will be contests with lots less high quality content. When really great content is not fairly rewarded then there is definitely a major problem.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I felt very confident in my maps design, I can run it at a good framerate with a high of 120 and an occasional drop to 50. That is on a very good system though. I know that my maps layout wasn't exactly as satisfactory as it could have been, the lighting was a bit dark and a few things could always have been better, but still I think my map was and is superior to a few maps that made it.

Oh well though, this is talk from a biased standpoint. At least there will be another contest which I can give a shot at