Rein Takes On Best Buy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
E

EdWinchester.SAS

If you make a game, that people want to trade in or swap for another.. well guess what.. you made a crappy game.. people bought it.. used it and decided it wasent worth keeping.. get over it.. wtf do marky boy wants.. that we pay 50-80$ for the game and then need some sort of lame ass subscription like WOW .. so to play our game we need to shell cash each month to play it.. wtf is up in his head.. not like those 20+ unreal engine 3 licences they sold this past 3-6 months doesent give him enough cash in his pocket, now he wants more money when 3rd party sells a license they own to another.. what a whining bastard.

fr4j0

Sep 13, 2002
Scotland
www.unrealgamers.co.uk
my 2pence :p

UT2007 for d/load in my eyes would be good thing - your details assigned to a cd key - a bit more control on cheating etc, and this would remove the 'resell' and the ability to play on a server with a pre-registered copy of the game. sorted... ;) Dropping the first time buy price and controlling (to a degree) copying.

fr4j0

:D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
jb said:
I would find serrious offense to this. In testing our ChaosUT mod I need to have two copies running from time to time. Espically if I am tracking down Listen Server bugs. I am not going to go pay full price for two copies to do this testing....

I don't disagree, and it would be within your rights to choose not to purchase games with that kind of copy protection.

Is Mark Rein applying for the chairman position at the RIAA or what? Sure, competition costs money but it's called a free market because it invites competition. If he doesn't like competing with the used market perhaps he should join the food business. Sure, Japan has some laws on used game sales he would like but I don't think "being like Japan" is something worth aspiring to.

UT2007 download only? Oh, great. Didn't they say they're approaching 30GB with their next-gen games? Internet connections seem to always be a step behind software sizes, just when it became feasible to download CDs in reasonable time games start coming on DVDs, just when you can barely download DVDs in reasonable time we get Bluray. I hope they'll sell it for thirty at most then and don't demand a freaking credit card or some other thing only US Americans have. Deliver less value, get less money. But since Rein seems to have caught a serious case of the RIAA insanity they'll think they're doing us a favour and demand we pay a tenner more for the download version.

I really don't see what would get anyone to download a legal copy for 50$ instead of an illegal copy for 0$ that takes just as long but has no copy protection to deal with.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
I don't think the developers mind. Frankly, large download times and file sizes are probably a better detterant to piracy than cd-keys ever have been. Filling a 50 gig blu-ray disc with oversized textures might actually be a dual use tactic.

Also, I can't remember if I was the first to mention it or not, but when I did I didn't mean to say I had heard anything about epic using a steam like system. I was just guessing. So I have to ask, have any of you heard that? I'd like to know. Because I can't remember if it had been reported and I think the only mention of steam in the article is by the journalist, not rein.

The more I think about it, the more I imagine epic might be able to get it to work. I'm not enamoured of online registration, but I also have to admit I can't imagine not having an internet connection for the rest of my life. And if epic is willing to release us from the cd-check with their first patch of every game, then hopefully they'll find a way for us to still play and patch the games after the first few months of sells has passed.

Last edited:

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Caravaggio said:
I don't think the developers mind. Frankly, large download times and file sizes are probably a better detterant to piracy than cd-keys ever have been. Filling a 50 gig blu-ray disc with oversized textures might actually be a dual use tactic.

You've never used BitTorrent, have you?

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005
The book analogy is awful. For one thing, books don't age like games do. Other than "collections" you wont find games more than 3-4 years old, while books will sell for many, many, years. A hit game has a shelf life of 4 years if you are lucky, a hit book has a shelf life of a few decades.

Same thing with movies.

Last edited:

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
not entirely true.. classic books will continue to sell, the majority of books have a limited shelf life in the long run. Different time table, but same process. And does that change the fact that publishers lose money from the legal borrowing of their media. A mass process that no other media industry is finacially touched by. Besides library's they are also hit by used book stores. I just find it humorous with the amount of bitching from these other industries, the book industry has the most hurdles. they even have books being dl on the internet.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Bang_Doll said:
You've never used BitTorrent, have you?
Well. Over the course of a month I've filled up a brand new 130 gigabyte hard drive with crap from various trackers. The largest one going of the 80 odd transfers I have on now is a japanese tv series of 17 gigs that azureus tells me will take over 200 days to finish, and that's only if I have it running 24/7. Though admittadly the ETA algorithm on this thing bites. I get an average of 20-30kb dl, so there are probably many that get a lot more, faster.

But most of those torrents are stuff that I'll put on discs right after. If I downloaded a 50 gigabyte game, l'd still need to keep it somewhere. I don't know, how soon will they have writable BR discs? All I know is that I have memories of being younger and not stealing a lot of stuff because it just took too long. Course I was on 56k at the time.

Probably shouldn't talk about that anyway. :p

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005
I see your point, but it's still a completely different industry. Books have an exponentially longer life than videogames, plus a bookstores have thousands of titles, a videogame store might have a thousand total. I can find all of my favorite books that I read back in high school 15 years ago still on the shelves, most of which were not on any best seller list or thought to be classics... How many of my favorite games from 15 years are still on the shelves? Zero.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How many books can you get from 85 years ago?

The point is that they follow the same model even though the timeline which they follow is drastically different.

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
How many books can you get from 85 years ago?

The point is that they follow the same model even though the timeline which they follow is drastically different.

Thats easy.

Several thousand. A quick Amazon search gave me 5,122 entries for literature written before 1930 available for sale.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How many of those were not titles being sold by people thorugh amazon, but through amazon themselves? And how many books were actually available 85 years ago?

badvermin

The one and only
Aug 5, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
How many of those were not titles being sold by people thorugh amazon, but through amazon themselves? And how many books were actually available 85 years ago?

Does it matter? My whole point was that books have a longer shelf life. I've already proved that point.

A good book will stick around for several lifetimes, games, not so much. Even hit games go away after just a few years to be replaced with a newer version, or the latest fad. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions (Tetris, Pac-Man), but most revenue from a game happens in a very short amount of time and then the title is discontinued never to be seen again.

This is really a silly/trivial thing to argue about. I'm done here. =)

Last edited: