BU Podcast: Episode Two Now Available!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hey, hey, hey! We actually made anther one! Well, thank TWD for making this video. Don't judge him too harshly ;)

Once again, we do ramble a bit but stick with us! I think this is an improvement from week one. We will continue to improve.

Enjoy!

[m]http://youtu.be/KI-Uq8gMuTk[/m]

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I love the idea (and the topic, of course), but I think a "podcast" needs to have a tighter outline with a bit more control exercised over the parameters of the discussion. Otherwise I just feel like a mute in a crowd; not so much a podcast as listening to two guys just hanging out.

Try perhaps developing an outline of what you want to discuss. Not a script, but a skeleton of the talk. This will help with flow, cohesion and of course, staying focused.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk with my comments. I truly don't mean to...just trying to offer some constructive criticism.

Rock on guys!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Not jerky at all. We actually did better at having an outline in the first show. We realized that was an issue shortly after recording, but you can't change the past. We will try to do better on that one next time.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Diplomatic, as always Brizz. Again, it is great to hear like-minded aficionados, even if they are on a tangent. I think it reminds me of myself once I get talking Unreal.

:)

I look forward to part 3!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Because of my job I listen to a *lot* of podcasts (6+ hrs a day) and I change subscriptions around every couple of weeks. I like listening to new casts as they start to 'find their groove". One thing that is constant though is they all vastly improve throughout the first year and I expect the same thing here. It's especially encouraging that you accept ideas and criticism so well.

One thing I might suggest is to reach out into the podcast community and get help from them. Like anything I'm sure there are so many little tricks and helps that you just never thought of that they can suggest right up front.

Oh, and get yourself a logo, small webpage, and integrate into something podcatchers can use. Per-show downloads won't work for very long, habitual listeners want to be fed the show automatically. There's no reason this can't absolutely blow the hell up considering your guys standing in the community so a little extra work could light the fuse on something important.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
We have an outline we print out and have in front of us when we record. It includes the key news items, quotes, and discussion points. We follow it pretty well even though we might expound too long in specific points. Would it help if I made that document public?

On podcatchers I have set up proper itunes podcasts for my dj mix website in the past, but it just isn't as effective as YouTube. So for now our main focus is on building up the YouTube channel.

phillon

May 24, 2014
Great podcast and very good discussion. I don't share Carbon's sentiment though; I actually really enjoy the more open ended nature of the podcast. Essentially for me the podcast = two or more knowledgeable, experienced and passionate UT fans discussing the latest developments on UT4 and the community in general. It is a nice way for me to catch up with the latest happenings as well regarding UT4 development.

As to the direction of development of UT4, my perspective: I have been playing (and still play) UT since 99, massive addict, very experienced, game is always installed, adore the game, etc. I did play a good amount of UT2004 and UT3, but they were not as good as the original; original just nailed it. Dodge-jumping: not a fan, should not be in UT4; speed: take UT as base, add about 7-10% more speed = perfect; scale (playerpawn to arena): UT is perfect, just copy paste. In terms of movement: add wall dodge, I like it, makes sense and mantling I have no problem with. I completely agree though that 'auto-mantling' is a bit shitty, it’s like auto-aiming. I think there must be some manual mechanism introduced for conducting a successful mantle, BUT it should have a decent amount of tolerance so as to strike a good balance between the fact that you must manually do something to mantle and not taking away from the flow of the battle. Adrenaline part of the core game? WTF...no, just...no, it’s gimmicky and takes away a massive appeal of the game (a pure arena experience, no fucking levelling, special gear unlocks, bullshit…just you, your opponent, your weapon and your twitch skill); as a mutator? Sure. Don't think Epic would be so stupid as to make it part of the core game, so not too worried.

Something I do agree with though is that UT4 must strike a very good (almost want to say perfect) balance between 'hardcore technical pro-gamer elitist' and 'casual just about having a blast fragging fun', though to me that point is obvious to be honest and Epic knows this; UT never was 'super leet hardcore' (not even UT99), it was never about 'absolute perfect balance' between weapons even, it was about crazy fun, balanced yes, but not balanced to boredom...that was what quake was for (far more hardcore and much more conservative with balance/weapon damage, level design, etc.). In short: the 'hardcore tourney' side of UT was never its main point and is not even in the slightest what made UT the insanely massive hit it was and still is. So yeah, great balance between 'tourney level' movement, damage, tricks, etc. and 'casual over the top, crazy fun' movement, damage, tricks, etc. is the name of the game. Is it easy to strike this balance? No...but worthwhile things seldom are.

Great podcast, great chat, thank you. Also: reference to Loque...haha so true...so true, whenever he is in the match I always curse that fucker aim bot! We really do assign personalities to the bots of UT...man what a game.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Future reference: If you read a quote by someone and then have them silently talking about something else in video, it looks like I'm watching an old kung fu movie. I'm not saying don't do it. I liked it.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I barely knew "podcasts" were still a thing (largely because people have iphones or pads more than pods now). These days its all about livestreams (and you can always watch the live stream later as if it was a podcast). Have you considered going live at all?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I barely knew "podcasts" were still a thing (largely because people have iphones or pads more than pods now). These days its all about livestreams (and you can always watch the live stream later as if it was a podcast).
The concept is still a thing for sure. TotalBiscuit (CynicalBrit) still has a long running show.