BT claims ownership of hyperlinks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
LOL

BT are cheap arses who want to get away with Microsoft-type shenangens

Doh!

/me realises he is a BT stock holder

bullet2.gif

"Have I shown you lately what my clan can do?
Cos I own you arse now by rights, We got family!" One Big Family - Embrace

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
How sad! Not only is the abstract obscenely vague, but the idea of anyone patenting something as fundamental as an "index" mark is ridiculous. That's really all hyperlinks are, is an index entry, or, like many programming languages, a pointer. Are they going to sue Borland and other C compiler manufacturers to license this "pointing" technology? What a crock.

On a mildly related note, most UK UTers would probably almost vote for it just to get BT to invest more money in their infrastructer ;)

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
<A HREF="http://www.cosmicmonstersinc.com" TARGET=_blank>
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com</A>

"A stalking ground without prey - a flash of superstition whimpering like a crippled animal -
Dogs of the Soul-Crusher - Pulling closer like the blue steel jaws of hell"
-- Soul-Crusher/WhiteZombie

"Blood on the stone I do not surrender - Wait'n for someone I do not remember"
-- Cosmic Monsters, Inc./White Zombie

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
SC: BT needs the UK more than the UK needs BT. Don't worry, everyone over here hates them in equal measure. (Almost ;) )

BT won't get away with this. I'm sure they don't want to fight US telcos, tech companies and the like over a patent. And even if they do, us lot in the UK will simply point out that the money they're using could be better invested in the UK's phone infrastructure. Either way, BT loses :)

bullet2.gif

Ah, a 1978 Chateau de Zaccix. The perfect accompaniment to any meal!

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
What I want to know is: is God going to claim copyright infringement on all the synthetic stuff?

BT must be mad if they think they can claim they invented the hyperlink. They'll just get sued by the guy who invented the signpost :).

bullet2.gif

"I wish to make a complaint about this here parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique."
"Oh yes? What's wrong with it?"
"I'll tell you what's wrong with it my lad. It's stone dead."
-Monty Python's Flying Circus

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR> What I want to know is: is God going to claim copyright infringement on all the synthetic stuff? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...thats brilliant :)

bullet2.gif

"Have I shown you lately what my clan can do?
Cos I own you arse now by rights, We got family!" One Big Family - Embrace