Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I've seen that the Jackal had a similar background story - the weapon was new; it's better than all the other guns.
I just find it funny that months ago the bullet weapons were hitscan, everyone screeched they were OP/imbalanced/notTribes/etc but they were OK once swtiched to projectiles despite being nastier at range than the hitscan versions ever were

BTW what's your username in T:A?
Killien I think, haven't played more than an hour in the past month

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Just to sum up what happens most of the time when using the Plasma Gun VS air targets.

jSEAJ.gif

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Ugh. That explains a lot to me too.

FYI, Hi-Rez are doing it deliberately. When one weapon in theory costs £7 or an entire month of dedicated grinding to unlock (less with the 'bundles, but of course you end up spending more), of course it's going to be better than the existing stuff.

Invisible players + one hit kill explosives (Jackal) - absurd, as a base defender you cannot defend yourself against it. I resorted to being a Technician and staying within sight of my turrets, so either I died and my turrets got the Infiltrator, the turrets died and I got the Infiltrator, or they got the objective they wanted in the first place.

Now we have the plasma rape gun which is absolutely tearing up Arena.

Note how the classes with bundles also have to be unlocked first, which puts them out of the price range of a normal gold pack buy if you didn't do it with XP.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1.0.942.1 patch update
Weapon/Balance Items

Increased damage on Brute’s Heavy Spinfusor by roughly 7%.
Modified the Pathfinder's Light Assault Rifle so that it has an increased projectile speed and fall-off begins at a greater distance (buffed). Projectile speed now matches that of the Soldier’s Assault Rifle.
Reduced the collision size of Raider’s Plasma Gun projectile by roughly 40%. The weapon’s damage and rate of fire remain the same.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue that impacted the ability of the Shrike to fly vertically.
Fixed an issue in which the First Win of the Day bonus was not being awarded in some scenarios.
Fixed an issue that would prevent a player from deploying deployables.
Recently earned badges are now shown correctly on the profile page.
Several bug fixes and cleanups on the menu UI.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Bug additions:

Players will frequently not be able to place deployables without respawning or visiting an ammo thingy.
Firing sometimes just doesn't happen when you press the left mouse button.

*sigh*

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The worse problem with the Plasma gun is solved, but I'm still ranking up quite much more than I usually would with it.

It rapes heavies. Period. Heavy Spinfuser +7% damage buff 2 shots raiders fighting in narrow indoors (doesn't have to be direct hits), that's pretty much the only true nemesis I faced so far.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Throwing knives are my new thing. Totally cool if you can nail someone from long distance with one, even if it doesn't kill him. I guess it's the principle.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Maybe we should get a name list going with all the BuF players in this game? Playing at 140 latency is actually not that bad, I've found, so Europeans and Americans can play on US East no problem :)

Throwing knives do splash damage. This confuses me to no end.

It's really just a balancing matter. The knives would kind of suck without the splash damage.

I'm glad they nerfed the plasma gun. I didn't even see it ingame prenerf, but it seemed really overpowered in the trailer.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Throwing knives do splash damage. This confuses me to no end.
Shoulda played before bullet weapons were switched to projectiles.
People were screeching left and right that hitscan was OP and shouldn't be in Tribes, but were perfectly fine once changed to projectile but were even deadlier than when they were hitscan
The cone of fire on the hitscan was so large you could land maybe 3 shots out of 30 even if you feathered the trigger

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I use the Technician, and the SMG they carry can dish out a lot of hurt very quickly. Spinfusors and similar don't give me any problems because I can just get out of the way of the shots, but the rate of fire on the SMG means it's really good at nailing airborne targets.

32 shots in 1.5 seconds, 80 damage each = 2560 damage or enough to take down any non-vehicle with a single magazine. Add turrets and grenades into the mix and the 30% reduction on reload times and it's nasty. I use it to take down Shrikes a lot of the time.

A weapon like that would be completely useless in Tribes.

It should also not cost you your stealth - would be pretty effective against Brutes and Juggernauts who can't hit you at point blank range without taking a big smack of damage themselves. It's also good for snagging defenders.