(360/PS3) Dark Souls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/09/hands-on-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/

Other notes:
-GFWL
-locked at 30 FPS
-locked at a rendering resolution of 1024x720

Also I heard that in online play you'll be kicked out if the framerate is lower than 15.

GFWL - Sucks but I can deal
Locked at 30 fps - Played LA Noire at locked 30 so no big deal
Locked at a rendering resolution of 1024x720 - what the fuck does this mean? Is that texture and asset resolution? If so I guess that is fine but if that is screen resolution then you can piss right off. That would look so damn blurry.

Also if getting kicked out is true, then a majority of poeple will get kicked out of blighttown right? Since the PC version shares the same slowdown problems as the console version I would expect that to be the case.

Picking up the console version at a cheaper rate than the PC version is sounding better and better everyday.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486141
Basically playing the game on something like 2560x1600 will make it look all blurry and shit

Getting kicked out of online is true - only after 30 seconds of FPS lower than 15.

Blighttown has been fixed though according to the devs (there are still minor framerate problems throughout the game, so not steady 30 FPS all the time).

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486141
Basically playing the game on something like 2560x1600 will make it look all blurry and shit

Getting kicked out of online is true - only after 30 seconds of FPS lower than 15.

Blighttown has been fixed though according to the devs (there are still minor framerate problems throughout the game, so not steady 30 FPS all the time).

Yeah I caught that screenshot after I posted.. good god that is fucking vaseline right there. Screw that business. Playing like that would give me a headache for sure. With any luck the modding community or perhaps the devs themselves will patch it so the game runs at a higher native res. Some posts indicate the port was done by the same guys who ported Sonic 4 Ep 2 to the PC, and it had the same upscale issues till people flamed them to hell to get it fixed.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Got the PC version. Although I talked to one person who played it with keyboard and mouse, I really think you're going to have such an easier time with a gamepad for this one.

At the very least the game is no worse than its console counterpart. In fact, it's arguably better since some areas that had bad framerate on console run smooth here! The problems people are going crazy about don't phase me (I mean GFWL is essentially Xbox Live and the upscaling doesn't bother me because I'm playing windowed mode), but yeah even I'd be hard pressed to say this port is...par. It's playable, and it doesn't crash (in fact in terms of performance things are swell), but yeah...

Still, for a rushed PC port from a developer that usually is console-only this isn't terrible. If you bought Arkham Asylum or Darksiders or any of those ports and play with a gamepad, get Dark Souls. There's nothing quite like it on PC.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Apparently a modder fixed the resolution issue in few minutes already.

Not exactly. He had been working on it a week or so up to the release. Thread for comparison http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

The upscaled blurry visuals is what is keeping me from buying this game, and after seeing what the mod accomplishes, I would pick it up in a heart beat. The only problem is that people are reporting fluctuating framerates, controller support that is hit or miss, and even some hardcore crashing.

People this is why I wait for sales. 50% off or bust at the moment.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've only played the first 15 minutes, but I would say wait for a sale.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
By sometime afterward you meant the day after?
Yes...

Now, I've played 15 minutes more and I just don't get the love for this game. The combat is really shoddy. The difficulty comes from 9/10 times the guy does not do what you tell him to do. I got killed by this little monster guy because every time I would turn towards him and attack my guy would swirl around in a loop and hit a wall next to the monster guy. Finally, I found a large sword. I could not hit crap with this sword. I tried using my shield. It did nothing.

Is this why people were saying they were so frustrated? They can't control the guy and so they die every ten seconds? What is going on here?

I can't even bring myself to play more than 15 minutes at a time. By the end of 15 minutes I'm totally fatigued. What do I do...

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
First off, are you playing with a gamepad? If not, then play with a gamepad. This game is not KBAM friendly.

Secondly, the lock-on button (R3 or pressing the right-analog stick...or 'O' if you're insane and still using KBAM) is one of the best tools in your arsenal. Remember how focused on Z-Targeting the N64 Zeldas were? Dark Souls takes that combat and ramps it up.

Also be wary of your stamina bar. Spamming attacks instead of timing will result in you doing shit because you drained stamina.

So yeah, lock-and-block + strict stamina bar. Those are the first two important parts I'd focus on if I were new to the game.

^What he said.

What I'll add is that every weapon has two general moves and also its own style. You can also two hand, which changes your combat style dramatically. There are also two ways to counter enemies; riposte and backstab. There's also jump attacks. You need to learn how to perform these, believe me. And it's always better to play the game more defensively at first.

I actually think this game (and Demon Souls) has some of the best, faultless controls I've ever experienced in a game. Every button action is deliberate and dependable so long as you are comfortable with how the scheme works. Screw ups in combat, as I see it, come down to panic and general user error. You have the same moves and the ability to perform them from the first moment you get to control your guy to the very last fight in the game.

Brizz, you also have to factor Equip Load into the equation as well. Everything you take onto your guy/gal adds weight and comes with certain penalties. You might move slower, have your ability to re-dodge lowered, or in worse ways basic moves will eat more from your stamina bar.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm playing with a controller.

I didn't even realize there was a lock on button. I suppose I will give this a few more tries to get it.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Also I'll add that this guy made a great newbie guide telling you tons about how to play.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21w40cHQdE[/m]

Also (possible spoiler):

after getting out of the asylum, don't go into the fatally obvious cemetery unless you want to make a quick grab for some decent gear. Up some rather inconspicuous stairs is where you want to start.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So I played for another half hour.

With the lock on, I did much better. I love the riposte, makes you feel like you're doing something cool :)