Janeane Garafalo owns the **** out of some word twisting Neo-Cons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Is this the face of Fiscal Conservatism?

Teabagger01.jpg

Teabagger02.jpg

Teabagger03.jpg

Teabagger04.jpg

Teabagger05.jpg

Teabagger06.jpg

Teabagger07.jpg

Teabagger08.jpg

Teabagger09.jpg

Teabagger10.jpg

Teabagger11.jpg

Teabagger12.jpg

Teabagger13.jpg

Teabagger14.jpg

Teabagger15.jpg

Teabagger16.jpg

Teabagger17.jpg

Teabagger18.jpg

Teabagger19.jpg

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
You obviously haven't a clue what the tea parties are really about. They aren't just about taxes dippy they are about getting back to the constitution and obeying the law it provides. Other then allowing the federal government to take more and more power away from the states and the people. The entire point of the tea parties is to actually return that power to the states and people. Get a clue.

If ANYONE, not just those people who participated in those "tea parties", is upset about how the government is run or wants to have a particular say in what is happening, there is a wide range of things they can do including, but not limited to: voting, writing their representatives in Congress, funding a political-action committee which has more push than just one person, etc. It's not like these avenues have mysteriously disappeared. A sincere, heartfelt, well-thought out and well-written letter to your personal Senator(s)/Representative(s) may honestly do the most good. But they still can share their opinions with their duly-elected officials.

Tell me James Colonist had that same liberty, and then you can tell me calling them "tea parties" wasn't a farce.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
BTW, BBA, if you were really concerned about the Florida recounts, you would realize that bush won the state when the newspapers finally completed their tallies. Also, it wasn't Jeb Bush who stopped the recounts, but the US Supreme court. If you're gonna rant, please be informed. I know people get all up in arms about Bush losing the popular vote and still winning the election, but it's happened 4 times already and it'll happen again.

That being said, to call the Tea Parties a protest of fiscal policy is absolutely absurd. To even say that the majority were protesting fiscal policy is absurd. While there were certainly a good number of folks there for that reason, it was a hodgepodge of racism, a right wing reaction against losing the house and presidency (and the policy changes because of it), and a good dose of simple stupidity.

The very idea of the tea parties is absurd and shows a lack of rational thinking on the part of the organizers. The original tea-party was a semi-spontaneous act against taxes which the people felt were unfair because they were unable to vote for their representatives. Not agreeing with a tax policy because you are in the minority is so far from not being represented it's not even funny. Additionally, the majority of the crowds protesting increased taxes are actually seeing DECREASED taxes as they make less than $250,000. The republican party certainly should be credited for the effectiveness of their propaganda that they were able to convince people that they were being taxed more when they actually will see a noticeable decrease.

Obviously not all of the people (or even the majority) are not protesting on the basis of race, but it was a freakishly significant portion. What reeks, however, is that there was not attempt on the part of the protesters to try and organize and unify. They let people run around with ridiculous, backwards, racist signs (LOADS of them) which unfortunately means support. If you refuse to try and oppose something like that, you unfortunately become associated with it. Was the COMEDIAN wrong? Hell yeah. She exaggerated significantly. But I would argue that racism played as large a part as fiscal responsibility or states rights. If states want to assert their authority, they can simply refuse the money. They don't, so they have no leg to stand on.

~Jason

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
If ANYONE, not just those people who participated in those "tea parties", is upset about how the government is run or wants to have a particular say in what is happening, there is a wide range of things they can do including, but not limited to: voting, writing their representatives in Congress, funding a political-action committee which has more push than just one person, etc. It's not like these avenues have mysteriously disappeared. A sincere, heartfelt, well-thought out and well-written letter to your personal Senator(s)/Representative(s) may honestly do the most good. But they still can share their opinions with their duly-elected officials.

Tell me James Colonist had that same liberty, and then you can tell me calling them "tea parties" wasn't a farce.

But fish, throwing around symbolic terms in an attempt to give weight to a tiny crowd of angry white people trying to pretend they represent a majority is so much easier than actually doing something about it. This way they can all feel like they're accomplishing something while not actually making any sacrifices at all.

There was a lot of harping about a "silent majority" around the time of the lulz parties. In Atlanta, where Sean Hannity himself came down to rally the troops, they couldn't top the attendance of the Braves game. They couldn't even muster 1% of the metro population.

People are, of coursed, entitled to their opinions. But as has been said, if they really had a problem with the government, there are avenues to change that. In fact, we just had one a few months ago, and surprisingly enough, the people made their decision as they always do. The hardcore, die-hard right immediately began confusing "losing the election" with "tyranny". Seeing people at these rallies holding signs about "no taxation without representation" when they just got done electing representatives not six months ago was pretty hilarious.

But then, history is quite often abused and perverted for punditry. See also: "Obama = Hitler", coming from people who have absolutely no clue what Hitler was about.

Well, some might say they do, to the point where in some respects they are mirroring him. But we're smart and we learn from history, yeah?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Billy, if you know what a neo-con is, why do you consistently use the term wrong in every thread you post about neo-cons in? You ALWAYS act like EVERY Republican is a neo-conservative, which is not true.

Also, let me remind you that we are on track to have a national deficit this year of over $1.8 TRILLION. That is FOUR TIMES more than the deficit last year, and that is ALL Obama spending. Why does it bother you that some people would be concerned about this?

The whining about "tea parties" (which are really just concerned citizens protesting) is monumentally ironic, since for the last 6 years neo-libs :)rolleyes:) have been protesting and whining and having protests about the war on terror. At the most basic level, neither of these things are different, and it's ridiculous to act like the protests taking place now are wrong but those protests were fully justified.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The whining about "tea parties" (which are really just concerned citizens protesting) is monumentally ironic, since for the last 6 years neo-libs :)rolleyes:) have been protesting and whining and having protests about the war on terror. At the most basic level, neither of these things are different, and it's ridiculous to act like the protests taking place now are wrong but those protests were fully justified.

First: lol at neo-libs

Now, the protests have not been against the war terror, but the war in Iraq. There has never been anything remotely close to evidence that Iraq was engaged in terrorist activities and the only enclave of training was located in Kurdistan. While I concede that most of the war protesters were/are idiots, they were much more unified and accurate in their protests than this whole silly tea party business. It was essentially a Fox News publicity stunt that they practically sponsored.

If the protests were on message (ie: didn't call themselves tea parties, didn't spout silly nonsense about not being represented, weren't plagued with ridiculously racist posters and slogans, were actually about the increase in deficit spending) and if they weren't essentially the self made news of a 'news' organization that's as classy and respectable as MSNBC (ugh), well then, they would have something. As it was, it was more of a circle jerk of a vocal, tiny minority that lashed out at all things not republican instead of conveying frustration with the current economic situation and the government's reaction to it.

Also, if you were to call the anti-war protests a joke and essentially nutty democrats circle jerking and spouting bland, ineffective anti-republican nonsense, I would agree with you.

Just because both sides do stupid things doesn't mean we shouldn't call them on it and refuse to respect their silliness.

~Jason

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
It's funny, I went to a tea party and never saw any signs like the ones posted here. It's also funny how so many of you believe all the crap the liberal media feeds you.

Bush, yea he spent too much money, but Obama's going into overdrive; spending, borrowing and printing as much and as fast as possible. If you can't understand that there's outrage over that then you're truly blind.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Wait, what is the crap we're being fed here? What liberal propaganda is being spread? I see posters made and held by protesters at "Tea Parties" and I listened to a bunch of the rhetoric being spewed by Fox News and it was all over the place. I also listened to a bunch of silly people trying to compare 'we, the minority, don't like it' to "we, the citizens of this land, have no ability to represent ourselves in any way." Look people, spending too much money is bad, I get it, but that wasn't what the boston tea party was about. It wasn't about spending at all, but taxation that the people felt was unfair partly because they were whiny little punks and mostly because they had no way to participate in their government's decisions.

People gathering to protest an increasing debt I can support, but these "Tea Parties" were fundamentally flawed from the outset and these flaws were only compounded. But of course, I only know what the liberal media feeds me...

~Jason

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
See here once again everyone falls for it. Instead of discussing the important issues of the day like reducing spending you have been reduced to discussing the merits of the actual protest. Maybe they were racist, maybe it was all a big publicity stunt by fox news, maybe it's odd that only now conservatives get off their buts. Who really cares? Why are you all wasting time and brainpower on such a dead end? Once again the powers that be have succeeded in distracting the public's attention from the important conversations.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I agree, spending is the core issue here.

pieFY09.gif
Fiscal Year '09 after accounting for quirks in the government's way of representing things (not including secondary costs incurred via the military in military spending, including social security in the budget even though it's not funded by income tax, but rather the separate FICA system).

Official Government version, for reference:

FY09_deception.gif
CBO FY'08 numbers.

Explanation of how chart 1 was derived, since people will demand it so they can immediately dismiss it out-of-hand. Heavy explanation of source variances down at the bottom.