UE2 - UT2kX Bulldog Replacer Mutator/Vehicle.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Hi all - I've got the basic SVehicle working in game, but could do with a little help on the coding front from someone who knows what they're doing in order to get the more complex stuff like rigging up animations for the weapon fire, driver positioning etc.

The vehicle will have a modelled interior, along with a slightly modified weapon to better fit the missile/rocket launcher behaviour (the existing one looks more like a minigun than a rocket launcher!)

Work in progress vehicle video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7uczGQCpA

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Quiet in here eh?

Here's some progress on the interior - elements from the hellbender are in place for scale.

Bulldog_Interior_01_by_JohnnySix.jpg

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Hi all - I've got the basic SVehicle working in game, but could do with a little help on the coding front from someone who knows what they're doing in order to get the more complex stuff like rigging up animations for the weapon fire, driver positioning etc.

The vehicle will have a modelled interior, along with a slightly modified weapon to better fit the missile/rocket launcher behaviour (the existing one looks more like a minigun than a rocket launcher!)

Work in progress vehicle video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7uczGQCpA

A coder is what I'm after, the modelling,sounds,animations side isn't an issue - just getting the more complex code things together is where I need help.

Stopping it from exploding randomly would be a start. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6yGAjNmj4

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
I think they both did it with kcar though , I'm looking at working it as an Svehicle, and Looks like whatever they did create has long since disappeared into the mists of time.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Cool man, I'll check it out.

I'm pretty much there with the basics, just having issues with errant bone rotation on the rocket pack/wheels - where things seem to randomly reverse or turn 90*. :p

The cabin is modelled now, and the camera looks out from the correct position, the driver sits in the right place, and the headlight/brakelight coronas are all lined up.

I've modelled up a dummy weapon to experiment with rigging for a rocket pack based off the one from the Levi - but I could definitely still use some help from a real coder. :D

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Okay, got it mostly working, right now I've got headlights (except two - perhaps there's a limit on how many you can have - the bulldog has eight) working, brake and reverse, the driver and camera position in the cabin are all working, but the gun is liking to turn the opposite direction to the one in which you're aiming! :D

Tried the code by UT2004Addict here (http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/wiki/amphibious-vehicle) to make it amphibious, though I'll probably do that from scratch so it's a bit more stable if I can find a programmer to help me out on the finishing touches.

Latest video of it in action :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uubb7aCZkQ0

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
good stuff I'm seeing, the engine sound is the stock one from the scorpion I take it? Might be cool to see if there is a way to create its own engine sound? Giving it a touch of added flair to it?

It's a pitched down hellbender sample - though if someone wants to record a beefy V8 , I'll be sure to add it. :D

I'll release a beta soon, once I've figured how to package everything into a nice neat .u file.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Cool -I'll try track the guy down.

I've figured the issue with the turret and the corona- seems for some reason the y-axis is flipped on the vehicle, even though it displays correctly, the pivot itself seems to be mirrored, meaning the corona are on the opposite side for the headlight they correspond to (not a problem normally, but the bulldog has asymmetric foglights) and the turret turns the opposite direction to that which it's aiming. :p

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Hey this looks real interesting. I'm glad to see this old vehicle back in action. Thanks for the props, Leon. As he said, we had our own version of it in development but unfortunately it didn't come to pass. It looks like you're trying to teach the old 'dog some new tricks.

As for the turret problem, that reminds me of a vaguely similar one I had with a program I was writing back in my college days. I was trying to write code for an incremend/decrement control in VisualBASIC v4.0 (that'll tell ya how old I am). When I ran the program and clicked the up arrow, the values in the display box went down instead of up. Now if I recall, it turned out I had to reverse the polarity on the equation for the control in order for it to work properly. It sounds counterintuitive, but it worked there, and it might for you. If you need some sounds I can help you out there. That's my forte.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Hey this looks real interesting. I'm glad to see this old vehicle back in action. Thanks for the props, Leon. As he said, we had our own version of it in development but unfortunately it didn't come to pass. It looks like you're trying to teach the old 'dog some new tricks.

As for the turret problem, that reminds me of a vaguely similar one I had with a program I was writing back in my college days. I was trying to write code for an incremend/decrement control in VisualBASIC v4.0 (that'll tell ya how old I am). When I ran the program and clicked the up arrow, the values in the display box went down instead of up. Now if I recall, it turned out I had to reverse the polarity on the equation for the control in order for it to work properly. It sounds counterintuitive, but it worked there, and it might for you. If you need some sounds I can help you out there. That's my forte.

I used vb 4.0 too - I started a course in programming back in 1995 (learning how to covert binary > hex > denary >octal was one of my first classes ) which I sadly bailed on to go on to do art instead. I used to make games back in the day on a Dell 286 with GWBasic (Never really liked Qbasic/QuickBasic for its lack of line numbers! ).

I remember the time I was in the library at the college (in the days before all machines were even networked, let alone globally hooked up to the 'net ) showing a mate some games, finding a bug in one and pulling up the code, and the library assistant dashing over and telling me off after seeing me scrolling through the code (presumably thinking I was hacking the machine.).

I think what I'll do with the pivot issue ( Wormbo gave me a hint in the coding forum that UnrealEngine flips its Y-axis for some reason ) is simply change the headlight corona (already done) and code the turret to invert its rotation ( not yet figured this part out, as I may need to subclass higher up the tree to make an inverted version).

Some sounds if you're up for it, would be very gladly received, I had a quick look around for some nice v8/truck/humvee sounds for the engine, but couldn't find a full set of start-up/shut-down/idle sounds, also a couple of new horns. :D