UE3 - UT3 Terrain Error: "Invalid MaterialIndex"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Treeple

Dec 22, 2008
I have a map using a few different terrains. I've had this issue for a while, but now am trying to resolve it. Its not having an effect on the map itself, its just an annoying and unprofessional error when the map is built.

The error is:
"Terrain> Invalid MaterialIndex 1 - mapname.TheWorld:persistentLevel.Terrain_10"

I have looked at some other questions about this problem, some of whom say to uncheck the 'highlighted' option for all the layers, but this has not worked.
I have tried deleting all the layers (I am willing to repaint the terrain to get round the problem), but no luck there either.

Any ideas?

Treeple

Dec 22, 2008
Problem solved.

For any of those who have this problem (and may get to this page via google), here is how I eventually fixed it:

- Delete all layers on each terrain.
- Delete all terrain-layer-setups in your package.
- Delete all terrain-materials in your package.
- Re-paint your terrain with new layers/materials ;)

At least you don't have to make the terrain heightmap from scratch =)