Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Wow, we just served the whole entire survivor team as they just got out of the safe room. I'd say they walked 10 meters before the last one died. I also figured the Hunter is easy to kill if he's close and missed once you've melee'd him. Dead Stop's are fun.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, the Hunter is an easy kill if he is exposed and close. Though I've seen many people underestimate a Hunter that isn't crouching. Case in point in a versus game last night:

Survivors were all badly injured, mostly in the red - one was dead and one was down - and there was zero infected activity at the moment. I pounced (as a Hunter) on one and was quickly pushed off. Much to my surprise, the one that pushed me went right back to bandaging himself instead of killing me. Instead of crouching I just ran up and swiped all three of them one time each, incapping the entire team. :lol:

There ARE times when a team is corner-meleeing a horde that, as a Hunter, you'd be better off trying to come in from the side and trying to melee damage a survivor as you'll be much less likely to be picked out as a greater danger from any of the others.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
If there's one lesson I'd love to teach random pubbers, it's that the Tank ain't invincible. Running into a molotov is a death sentence. Running up into an auto-shotty is a death sentence. Picking up a rock in the open is a death sentence. You gotta learn to use your teammates to herd the survivors apart then move in for the kill when everyone's occupied. Then the tank is an unstoppable, game-ending force.

Also, if I'm currently on top of a survivor, go for someone else and don't knock me off.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
If there's one lesson I'd love to teach random pubbers, it's that the Tank ain't invincible. Running into a molotov is a death sentence. Running up into an auto-shotty is a death sentence. Picking up a rock in the open is a death sentence. You gotta learn to use your teammates to herd the survivors apart then move in for the kill when everyone's occupied. Then the tank is an unstoppable, game-ending force.

Also, if I'm currently on top of a survivor, go for someone else and don't knock me off.
You forgot to mention that not attacking the survivors as a tank for more than 30 seconds will get you killed automagically. Or at least i think so since I've only seen it happen once.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I just played my first Versus match earlier this afternoon. I must say its certainly tons of fun. Knowing that the special infected are controlled by humans and are a lot less predictable in where they'll show up really heightens the tension and makes things more difficult.

Playing as the hunter is tough, especially if everyone sticks together like they should.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Wow, we just served the whole entire survivor team as they just got out of the safe room. I'd say they walked 10 meters before the last one died. I also figured the Hunter is easy to kill if he's close and missed once you've melee'd him. Dead Stop's are fun.

On No Mercy it's possible to wipe the whole team from the first spawn point, before they've even opened the door. 'Twas epic lulz, but something I wouldn't be surprised to see patched out...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Versus is the best thing I have tried so far. However as hal stated somewhere else the Auto Shotgun seems to be your best pick on that. I just find the sniper rifle to be useless overall. I picked it up for the whole evening on advanced and it was useless compared to say, anything else, probably even pistols.

It doesn't feel too right. I know I'm cheap, but I'd rather see it shot exactly where I aim, that would make a little more sense. Maybe it's the ping, I don't know, but this weapon doesn't feel safe at all compared to anything else.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I like the sniper rifle.

Its good for clumped up groups of zombies because it passes through an infinite amount of zombies. The shotgun is good for the same thing I suppose, but the rifle reloads a lot quicker.

Its mainly for support I suppose and picking off individuals from a distance; clearing rooms.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like the sniper rifle.

Its good for clumped up groups of zombies because it passes through an infinite amount of zombies. The shotgun is good for the same thing I suppose, but the rifle reloads a lot quicker.

Its mainly for support I suppose and picking off individuals from a distance; clearing rooms.
I don't find that it reloads faster at all. If you have the autoshotty and don't let it run out of ammo, you can instantly refire WHILE reloading.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
You forgot to mention that not attacking the survivors as a tank for more than 30 seconds will get you killed automagically. Or at least i think so since I've only seen it happen once.
You lose control of the Tank. If two players lose control, then the AI takes over.

Having that said, just about anything constitutes "attacking", from knocking around cars to tossing rocks. Play smart and it shouldn't be an issue.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I tried again to do what that guy did; run through Dead Air expert solo. I was able to make it to chp 3 where you run through the construction yard then the power plant and across the walk way into the airport.

Ugh! Talk about frustrating. I again reaffirm my position that it is purely luck if you make it.

The tank is the killer. One of several things always happened to me. The tank will spawn in an area I have not cleared of zombies yet so the zombies will gang up on me pinning me in place and allowing the tank to beat on me. Or the tank will spawn in an area clear of zombies but then the zombie rush event will occur and I get pinned in place still. Another thing is the tank will spawn in an area where I cannot get around him so he beats on me. And still another is the tank is really accurate with his cement block throw. You can dodge it like that guy did in the video, but you'd have to be lucky to be in an area with enough room and devoid of zombies.

Oh another fun thing that happened was the AI director put the witch right in my way a few times.

During the run where I got the closest to finishing it I met a surprise that killed me. The tank spawned around half way through the level and I was able to outrun it. However I made it to the second story in the parking garage and rounded the corner of the ramp to be placed pretty much face to face with the tank. Apparently if you outrun a tank they'll teleport in front of you. I know you can do that in Versus mode when the survivors get too far away, but I didn't know the AI could do that. I've never seen it do that. Maybe it only does it with tanks because during the barricade event a few special infected spawn, but I outran them and they never spawned in front of me.

I know I could get this if the level was laid out just right with that bloody tank.

I did discover a few things about the level though. One thing is the zombies are kind of stupid in some areas. In the construction yard near where the barricade you have to burn is, inside the building is a bunch of scaffolding. If you climb up to the scaffolding and go to the far right left corner, the one nearest the barricade, the zombies will just climb up the ladder, turn around, and fall back down. They cannot figure out how to go around that pillar and run along the scaffolding to get you. Witches can't do this either. So you just sit there and blast them all. Basically any position on the scaffolding on the far side of the ladder, as long as its along the left wall, the zombies will be too stupid to get you. So you can technically just sit there as a team and focus on the special infected first.

Another thing I discovered that makes the whole barricade event easier is that you can jump from the scaffolding, from the spot I mentioned above, onto one of the 'window' openings of the building. From there you can shoot the barricade and set the event in motion. Then jump back onto the scaffolding, run along to the other side, fall down, and have enough time to make it back to the safe room. You're pretty much invincible in there and can blast all the zombies. However, only a few of the special infected that spawn will come to you. A few will linger so you'll have to watch out when you leave.

Oh, I also found out the hard way that a tank can break through the safe room door. hehe

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've been wondering now, why do they only have 2 campaigns in Versus when there's a total of 4?
Also, can they stop the excessive witch/pipebomb spawn on FBU now? :)

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It's a lot of work making the campaigns playable for versus, since they have to tweak and make a ton of minor adjustments to the map design to prevent certain tactics. That, and some events like the plane crashing and van running through the wall would be odd for versus.

There will most likely be more maps and stuff later, considering their track record with TF2.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

Abso-****in-lutely. I don't mind so much if someone "steals" my kill when all the survivors are down, but I pisses me off to no end when I've got someone incapped and another infected breaks the hold or kills me instead of going to get the other three. We had a round won this afternoon: there were three down and a Tank broke my hold on the third (Smoker), then it died stupidly, and the lone survivor ended up helping the other three up.

I picked it up for the whole evening on advanced and it was useless compared to say, anything else, probably even pistols.

The Rifle is better than you think. It's not a spammy area-denial weapon like the auto-shotgun, but with its infinite penetration, it will take out stacked groups of infected in a heartbeat. It's also great to have one on your team in certain parts of the map that are open. You can pick off infected before they even know you're there or are able to touch you.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Hunting rifle also deals awesome damage between melee spam. The shotgun kinda overlaps with the function of your melee, while the rifle let's you pick off a column while quickly turning and meleeing those 3 on the other side.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
The rifle also picks of special infected really easily and its high dmg usually means it'll only take a couple shots at most.