Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I'll give an update on how things are progressing here: I finished remaking Flux now. Although I used Glowing Angel's remake as a base I had to redo about every single aspect about the map to get the scaling as right as possible, and that took quite some time. I'm sure the lighting will probably be incorrect (mainly in terms of lightcolor and/or saturation), but that's almost impossible to do correctly because the lighting in the PS2 version, on a tv screen, looks VERY different than it does on a pc monitor.

Right now I'm looking into DrunKenobi's Coagulate port. He did a really good job on porting these maps, but the first thing common people will notice is that the lighting in terms of color isn't varied well enough. Nitpickers such as myself will notice that the entire second floor needs to be about 32 units higher. Fixing that right now.

Here are some screenshots from Flux:

Attachments

• Flux01.jpg
    Flux01.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Flux02.jpg
    Flux02.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Flux03.jpg
    Flux03.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 67

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
That's really damn awesome :tup:

As for the Coagulate port, I think the only problem it has is the lighting. The corridors with the Flak Cannon and Thigh Pads had purple lights in the PS2 version; and that's it anyway.

Sorayama isn't that different: the lighting being a bit on the bright side and the elevators that kill you.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Does anyone know some decent ps2 emulator btw? Which would ps2 UT run at so I can get it?
I am interested about these models as well, all are skeletal ones anyway. I wonder why they didn't port the skeletal ones to ut as in form of patch later, as in with half life blueshift came the high definition pack which enhanced the models to high poly ones etc. Or someone need to convert the special warboss models and skaarj ones.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
Great job on Flux, it is looking nice. I had forgotten about that map but, as soon as I saw those shots, memories of me playing it online with the DC came rushing back. Such a cool map that I somehow forgot about.

As for my progress on StormFront, I'm almost done with one flagroom. I'm currently working on creating the hall outside of the base. (Not much yet, but I've been busy with other projects along with college.)

For anyone that missed it: The Sega Dreamcast turned 9 last week on the 9th! I played a few DC games to celebrate and I plan to work on StormFront some more this week.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks a lot, guys! ^^
I just discovered that the file is small enough to be included as an attachment. So here you go! Hope you'll like it :)
(maybe I should better post this in a level design subforum? :con: )
As for the Coagulate port, I think the only problem it has is the lighting. The corridors with the Flak Cannon and Thigh Pads had purple lights in the PS2 version; and that's it anyway.

Sorayama isn't that different: the lighting being a bit on the bright side and the elevators that kill you.
The lighting errors (and the elevators, of course) are the most apparent ones. There really are a lot of things that aren't correct in the maps, mainly textures and lighting (the floor texture in Coagulate is wrong too, for instance, and don't get me started about Brickyard ;) ). And the Z-axis scaling in Coagulate is one of them. I noticed it by coincidence, when I saw that there was a trim missing in one of the curved staircase halls. It was when I added the trim that I suddenly realized the rest of the entire hall wasn't right, and to get proof I counted the number of steps each staircase had. Officially they have 18 steps, while the ports have only 16.

It's easy for me to compare all the differences because the television is right behind me. A simple turn of the head is sufficient to spot the rights and wrongs.

Attachments

• DM-Flux.rar
    173 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
No problem :)

I shall be accepting constructive criticism anytime. :)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I did a match in Flux yesterday against a super Rampage (just like in the PS2 UT). Bot went everywhere and he was really strong overall.

The map seems to be identical to the original, and I think any improvements are needless at this point. Where did you get the info about Flux's author? (Pancho)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

When I first did my remake a couple of years ago, I sent a mail to Cliff Bleszinski to ask him who was the author. Back then I believed that you needed the original author's permission to port a map. Cliff kindly responded by giving Pancho's e-mail adress and the latter person told me that "I could do whatever I wanted with it, I just had to make sure the credits were there".

I kinda suspected it could've been either Pancho or Cedric Fiorentino since they always made visually impressive levels that stood apart from the rest of the bunch.

I wish I knew the names for the other maps as well.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I did a match in Flux yesterday against a super Rampage (just like in the PS2 UT). Bot went everywhere and he was really strong overall.

The map seems to be identical to the original, and I think any improvements are needless at this point. Where did you get the info about Flux's author? (Pancho)

super Rampage? What bot is that?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It's just the blue Warboss. It's called Rampage in the PS2 version. Challenge Ladder pits you against four boss battles.

First is in Phobos against Damien - an PS2-only model, is a human who resembles that guy with red hair shown in the UE2 tech demo.
Second is in Flux against Rampage.
Third is in Malevolence against Dominator - another PS2-only model, it's a green mean Skaarj.
Fourth is just Hyperblast with the green Xan MK2.

There was an official UT wallpaper which shows the four bosses, and was used as the Challenge Ladder's loading screen.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Never seen that loading screen/wallpaper, however I would like to try the ps2 UT. Any decent emulator that can run anything from ps2? :(
I remember trying it once and it didn't work.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Ah that one, I thought they were all robots in the picture, it's hard to see thanks to the lighting and all.

Cyberia-Mix

Aug 20, 2008
I just discovered that the file is small enough to be included as an attachment. So here you go! Hope you'll like it :)
Omg man you just made my day. :D

I was looking for such a remake for ages and was just about to plan on starting one myself.
Great to see some people also caring about the console maps after all these years. :)

About the map... I could compare on my PS2 right now lol, but from what I recall I don't remember the skybox textures were panning so fast (I believe you took care of that lol), and the lighting seemed a bit less coloured (but I guess it's all about TV settings anyway
biggrin.gif
).
Overall it really feels like strolling in the original. Definitely, definitely a great job.
And nice you could find the author's name as well. It's a pity a few of them are known.

> Btw, I also remade Spirito some years ago.
Not exactly identical to the original (among other things, I made a skybox and added a flak - I thought that map needed one lol), but I could tweak it a little for you guys if you're interested. :)

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
You know a lot of the dreamcast levels were ported to the rocket arena mod in their entirety? You've got the whole collection of dreamcast exclusives at your fingertips, perfectly scaled, just as in the originals. The only thing they are missing is pickups.
If you just run through and add pickups we have a lot of new official content to play with.

But in any case you've done an awsome job with flux!

Has anyone done speulchure? that level was nice. I actually started a conversion and pretty much finished the center room with the shield belt. It's sitting on my hard drive right now but i haven't ever gone back to finish it because it is such a pain to keep running the whole length of my house just to cross reference my map with a TV screen.

@last post: Plz let me see this remake of yours! :D

Last edited:

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
You know a lot of the dreamcast levels were ported to the rocket arena mod in their entirety? You've got the whole collection of dreamcast exclusives at your fingertips, perfectly scaled, just as in the originals. The only thing they are missing is pickups.
If you just run through and add pickups we have a lot of new official content to play with.

But in any case you've done an awsome job with flux!

Has anyone done speulchure? that level was nice. I actually started a conversion and pretty much finished the center room with the shield belt. It's sitting on my hard drive right now but i haven't ever gone back to finish it because it is such a pain to keep running the whole length of my house just to cross reference my map with a TV screen.

@last post: Plz let me see this remake of yours! :D
Seriously? Do you know if they are included in the bonus cd provided with the Totally Unreal pack or should I download the mod? Because I can't remember them being included in the bonus cd. Adding the pickups is easy.

Thanks! Both for pointing that out and for your comment on the effort I put into Flux :)

Didn't realize up until now that Sepulchre was an exclusive as well. Totally forgot about that one.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
What?! You have TotallyUnreal? Wow! That's very rare!
And it is included in UT:GOTY bonus CD for sure. So probably in TU's bonus CD as well (any S3TCs there? :D )