Beppo should..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for GB updates in the blackfoot studios forums?

But on a short guess I'd say GB will either go the same way as Inf did for 2.9 (i.e. take its time until it's finished) or he way Sky Gods did it. Call me pesimistic, but I'll believe in an Inf sucessor when I play it - not when someone announces they want to make the ultimate realism military simulation (or put such a text on their games box).

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Well, I left the team this summer because I won't have the time I would need in order do a decent job on a new project. That is, if there ever will another Sentrystudios project. Time will tell I guess. The team isn't dead, but it's been put on ice. What the team needs is Beppo or a coder with his skills. Without that, it will remain on ice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a brand new and shiny version of Infiltration (or whatever Sentrystudios decides to call it) sometime in the future. If I have to wait until I'm 80, I will still play it. Infiltration was and still is still the game I've played and loved the most and I'm proud og having played a small part in the release of the 2.9 version. But that's all in the past. Right now I'm looking forward to trying GB. I think it's gonna be awsome :)[/FONT]

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Didn't blackfoot studios run out of capital and fold or something to that effect. It was effectively in the same state as Sentrystudios was. On ice until further notice.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
I'm sure if they add a nickel plated m4, rocket propelled parachutes and "accelerator suits" they'll get some funding...

I love the gaming industry..

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
GB is taking the exact same path as infiltration, except maybe that inf did get released...
I've learned to live with it, no game is ever gonna be a closer attempt at delivering a realistic combat experience than infiltration. Especially if you take its engine limitations into account...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Uh, I've been away for a while... What the hell is GB?
GB is Ground Branch, a title planned to be developed and released by Blackfootstudios (links to their forum are in the O/T section and this thread..), although it appears to take a INFesque (or worse) path since the planned predecessor Sky Gods was chancelled recently and the head of BFS took a nice job doing Sims for the Armed Forces (or so).

And yes, it's definetly been a while :D

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
It's a shame GB is over, or near being so. Maybe Beppo can spare some time now to code the next Inf.

I've been playing ARMA2, seeking a coder to help me code the clunkyness out of the player movement. It feels like he's a giraffe walking around in the kitchen. If that works then all i need is a DTAS gamemode.

Last edited:

-RoMe-infers

Nov 12, 2003
Paris
Visit site
I am with you on this one ZEEP. ArmA 2 could be the best CQC sim. But it's definetly not ,at the moment.

Lets prioritize objective on what to change to make ArmA 2 enjoyable on CQC:

-More fluid stance change.
-Better weapon collision system.
-Higher step level so that stairs are not your worst enemy anymore.
-Better grenade system.

That would be all for me. Oh god, thats not so difficult to mod i guess..

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Making DTAS for Arma 2 is probably one of the easiest things to do in Arma 2. I can probably do it in less than 20 minutes, and the only problem will be the randomization, as you simply don't want to have people start on top of a building that they can't climb off of... Though you could just start them with a limited duration invulnerability so that they could jump down (which would also be rather easy to do).

The biggest problem with DTAS in Arma 2, though, is that most areas are going to simply suck for it. I pretty much gave up on random objectives in attack&defend missions, since even when trying to handpick the locations to make it possible for attackers to win, and giving the attackers an MH-60s for transport/support, attackers still seem to lose all the time. I also made a version where attackers can call in massive smoke artillery to just about anywhere they want every 35 seconds but hadn't got a chance to see if that actually does good for balance and gameplay while keeping things realistic. Also the objectives I make are a little more than "control an area", instead they are usually to destroy something that is not easy to destroy with rocket launchers so that you pretty much have to go up there and place a satchel charge to blow it up and win.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Still, a lot of possibilities for DTAS in ARMA2. The randomization part including checking for "no-go" locations such as rooftops can be done, not too hard of a job. The objectives can be various..

The CQB and infantry part, which i would like to emphasize on for such a mod, will def take the most work. I think my first steps (if i was coding) would be to disconnect the way ARMA2's animations play out the movement. Too often i want to slightly move but the animation takes over and causes the clunky bumps.

The ACE2 mod does too many stuff to the game overall. It's all over the place. I don't care about x armored vehicle, x heli, x plane. I want the basics, the minimun for starters, but done right. I don't know coding in ARMA2, not yet, to make a start myself. The post i made in the BIs forum looking for guys with this project is already 10 pages gone i guess without too much interest. They just don't know Infiltration, i forgive them.

Prowler

"Building Better Worlds"
Jul 6, 2000
Canada
I'll teach you a trick to the BIS community zeep, if it is in the Arma 2 section your suggestion or what have you will get ignored unless it is groundbreaking. But if you post in the Arma 2 Editing section then you might get somewhere.

And I don't think you appreciate what ACE truly has to offer until you try it out for yourself. Here is a list of features that will be provided for the BASIC ACE2 install http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Features_of_ACE2

All other features will be included in the optional ACEX addon
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Features_of_ACEX

I'm not sure what else you may be referring to as being "all over the place" but I feel that ACE2 is going to enhance the overall experience for the better.

I do however agree that the infiltration concept of DTAS would be a very welcome addition to Arma2. Comparing to something like Domination, DTAS would be a very simple thing to build. But simplicity is often the best in certain situations. Complete Randomness would allow for different tactical situations to be used or even hilarity.

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
The main problem with the DTAS randomness in Arma 2 is that 99% of the areas are simply bad for placing an objective on them. Placing an objective in the middle of the valley, on top of the hill or just in some random open grounds would give absolutely no chance for attackers to capture it, as defenders can spread themselves all over the place sniping any attacker that comes near the objective while they're being pretty hard to detect (as they can be pretty much anywhere, while attackers have to come to the objective). However I am working on spawning a city in one of the airfields in Chernarus which will be more suitable for DTAS and other missions, but then again it'll be that much harder to place stuff randomly there unless you pre-define all possible locations manually. In any case, even a non-random DTAS-style game can be a lot of fun and have quite a bit replayability (think America's Army using Arma 2's realism and map size, giving you that many more options).

The thing with ACE2 is, that instead of fixing what's wrong with the game, they just add a lot of stuff to it, which is simply not as important to people like us who really just want better realism and could live with less features/units/etc. The biggest example here is them not finding a more creative way to handle stamina (and I've suggested a few) and just make you black out after running too much, which is pure BS. If they would've spent the time working on fixing the realism first and adding features as a second priority, I would've been much happier, but it seems like realism is far from their top priority there, especially after you look at some of the features on the list.

-RoMe-infers

Nov 12, 2003
Paris
Visit site
Maybe give 1 or 2 Humvee to attacker. If the obj is on open ground, it could be very useful as cover, fire support.

I build an AAS map like that, with assymetrical equipment for both teams. Russians had 4 'cars with guns' and fast respawn, whereas Us forces has two UH60 with guns only and longer respawn. It was nice to see Us forces arriving on the town by air, where russians, already there for 1 min, had set up a defense in town. You then could see unguided rocket flying around Us Helis, before they land. Oh yes, that was nice.

Very few vehicule with no weapon except guns could be the answer to that 'bad objective location'. Plus, there could be smoke grenade, and smoke arty.

@I checked again ACE2 features: The good thing is they will maybe fix the grenade system.
BUT CQC wise, the rest is simply speeding up some anims. Thats it. It misses the more fluid stance change and weapon collision system. Sadly I think that even with ACE2, in a house, you will feel like an elephant.

P.S: The amount of work that ACE2 delivers is still amazing and really enjoyable. The only thing i'd wish for is that they'd fix CQC before creating cool new features.

Last edited by a moderator:

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
In my experience, vehicles are more like a "death box" than help, and can't be used for much more than transport. They make it easier for defenders to detect your approach giving you even more of a disadvantage. Unless you have heavy vehicles, and even then if they have good AT your heavy armor turns into "death boxes" again. All in all balancing is not impossible, but it takes a lot more than just saying "I think giving this side X vehicle or Y weapon should help".