Devastation: Mission Sequence Listing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Revenga

Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
In my opinion the Krall are more likely to attack the Skaarj, since they don't like to be pushed around by them (see Bluff Eversmoking (first Unreal) translator messages by the small prison cells somewhere at the center of the pillar the village is standing on). Brutes are (litterally) dumb creations of the Skaarj and I don't see why they should attack them, since they don't have the brains to even think about it. I see them as living robots, so to speak. ;) Also, I have an idea for the Krall, making the Krall - Skaarj war more logical. The Skaarj experimented with some new technoligy (which we, as team, have to define yet of course :)) and also start to test it on the nearest 'intelligence' around (no Nali this time), the Krall. They used their Krall Elites as gineaepigs, but underestimated both their new technoligy and the Krall. These new Krall Elites (name of course needs to be defined, maybe something like Skaarj-Krall = Skall) group together with other Skall and Krall/KrallElites and start a huge campaign against their formal rulers. Also, the Skaarj can have a secret weapon in store for the Krall, an even stronger Skall that doesn't have any memories of being a Krall. Only these nasties don't only kill Krall, but don't discriminate so Skaarj aren't save around them. :D So they just transport them offline (since they must be half-mechanical in order to get them hating Krall) and then drop them off on the battlefield and turn them on from a distance, preventing the Skaarj getting killed and more Krall being annihilated. :D

Also the Insectiod could be a product from the type of technoligy used to make these Skaarj-Krall creatures, just a thought. :)

Revenga

Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
Also, to go further on the Skall, the second type (the type that doesn't discriminate and only tolerates other of it's kind) can also be an early product of one that is produced in the lab.

OK, here comes my short story:
During this war with the Krall (or maybe something else if that's decided), the Skaarj are working on a new type of Skall (or whatever) and this new type is the first of it's kind. An idea of what kind: the kind that is not easily killed and this is not because of it's huge health or size. Regen-batteries and energy-absorbtion from energy-bases projectiles (like shockprojs). Recharging makes them harder to kill, and makes it for them easy to kill you. :D Think of directly linked energybased weapons on their limbs or linked staffs (Krall) which become more powerful when more energy is available to disperse. This new type of creature (which can also be a suped-up Skall, see my post above) is then scheduled for production to be used in the war. Only, for the sake of the mod, the Skaarj made some crucial mistakes: underestimating their own technoligy again making silent communication possible between their newly created kind. This new species so to speak doesn't have any memories of what they were before (like Krall, Skaarj, Brute, Nali, Pupae, Slith or whatever) and can't believe that the Skaarj are their masters. They silently team up and during your own escape, the base is suddenly attacked from within. The next-gen labrats slowly take over the entire facility and doing so, you primary enemy will slightly change from Skaarj to this new species, with in the end maybe some ultra-prototypes which were set free by attacking force.

One more note about this new species: they only 'trust' each other and hate everything else. So you have Nali, Brute, Skaarj and Krall-like creatures fighting alongside each other as they were the same species, because of the forced memoryloss the Skaarj induced. :D

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
After reading this I must agree with you. In this case a war against Krall and Skaarj would be very diffrent and very intresting. :D

I think the name should be changed to Skraall (Sounds like Scral) instead. :D
Or just give it a nickname like. "Green Krall" *rofl.*

The cool part with the Kralls is that you can shoot their legs off and they are still attacking/moving. :D
That means with a new mutated version of them it could be even more fun and harder to beat them. I vote a YES on this kind of war.

Revenga

Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
Thnx for supporting the the Krall-Skaarj war thing, but 'green-krall'? I was more thinking of red-colored energy, looks meaner in my opinion. Green maybe a good idea for the first Skall or Scrall (personally I would go for Skall, but maybe something like CyKrall or Saikrall is even better). I already have a skin for the Krall-type of this new species. It's still a WIP, but well finished enough to post I think. :)

EDIT
Sorry, but I can't get my WIP of the Skall (or whatever) uploaded, but it's only 30 kb big! :rolleyes: Maybe you guys now some other way, since I am not that experienced with forums. ;)

Last edited:

Madd_Cracker

scrawny pale dude
Sep 11, 2005
unitedstates
profile.myspace.com
I could really use an explaination on the story thus far so that i know what i should be mapping. Here is a concept for the sahara desert base i did, its not quite finished but the idea is there. tell me if im on the right track ok?

Attachments

• Top copy.jpg
    Top copy.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 18

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
Skall sounds stupid. Becouse it means "will" in swedish.

Like "Du skall göra något" = "You will do something".

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Some cool ideas, and it leads me to a few changes of the end (remember, I said I had the end worked out? Now it changed a little. I'll go into more detail when I get home).

McT, Skall (or "will", in Swedish) might actually work out. The Skall have the "will" to fight back against their creators (unless there's a different Swedish word for the noun "will"; then it would sound kind of silly). But maybe I'm not seeing this: where does the "Sk" come into play? Are the Skall biomechanical crosses between Skaarj and Krall?

Madd_Cracker:
The concept looks good. Add some bombed-out buildings around the facility and use the rest of the mission chronology, and you're good to go. Explanation:
Observation Facility #214 ("Lonestar") was once the scientific center of (enter city name here). The TWC (Third-World conflict) destroyed the city around "Lonestar", leaving only the shells of bombed-out buildings. Surprisingly, the Facility itself was relatively undamaged. Since the TWC, "Lonestar" has fallen into disrepair, sporting an odd balance of old and new technology both inside and out. There are rumors of a secret underground EMTO complex, but the EAM denies these claims.

I'll post the mission chronology (from the e-mail) soon so you can get a better idea of what's going on.

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
Skall = "Will, shall, must, have to".
But it can also mean "bark".

So maybe it could work. But I don't know.
Maybe give it a experimental name like SK34. haha. :p

-

Madd_Cracker I missed your pictures. *doh* Nice ones. :D

Revenga

Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
Well, first of all, Skall was my primary thought of the Skaarj-Krall creature, but when it turns out to be an alternate on the Krall, an alternative name could be better. Experimental names are indeed a good idea, like with the super-secret experiments (which can become the end bosses), they are more individual and we can call them by numbers like P-09 (Project number 09) or something like that.

Another thing, Madd Cracker, nice drawings, keep up the good work! :D I can see your picture, but I can't upload it. Can you please tell me how I can upload my WIP in this forum? Maybe it sounds a bit noobish, but then again, I am still kind of a newbie with forums. :D

Madd_Cracker

scrawny pale dude
Sep 11, 2005
unitedstates
profile.myspace.com
bond, sounds good i'll check my mail asap.
mcterry, the hybrid stuff sounds really cool. I don't think names are even necessary code names for the project/experiments usually sound cooler anyway, take nemesis from RE3 for example.
oh and revenga i've been using image shack (http://www.imageshack.us/)
all you have to do is post the forum link it gives you and your set.

Last edited:

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
If I could draw half as well as you...well, let's just say I would be a lot better than I am now. :)

Okay, I put up the chronology. And a little heads-up: Almost everything I sent through e-mail about content and stuff like that should be here on the forums now. I don't think it's a risk talking about this in public (since not many people besides us visit here).

Revenga

Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
McTerry said:
In that case I have to accept "Skall" or even an experimental name. =)

I'm glad 'Skall' is slowly being accepted by everyone. :D

Anyway, better late than never, thnx Madd_Cracker for the link to fileshack. My finished Skall-skin, normal form, since he can also be overloaded, dead and recharging himself :p, I just put in on the site, together with some other WIPs. Dead means that his visor is offline, recharging means his visor is flashing (quickly turning from extremely bright to normal and the other way around) and overloaded means he has red energy flowing all over his body. :D

First I wanted to post the image here, but then I realised everyone could see it... and when it's a creature you don't meet in the beginning of the game, I think it's better to wait for the Private Forums for this kind of WIP. :)

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
That sounds very intresting. :D
If you need help with the concepts for the HUD later then I'll could give it a try to add some ideas. :D

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
I'm curious...how will you get the various skins to work depending on the Skall's current state? I know it's possible using separate skins for each, but that's a lot of filesize for one feature.