3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BOiNG

Games for your mum
Jan 22, 2008
Oh noes! Just as they were that close to releasing :)

3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has commented on the shut down, stating: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

I don't see why so many people are sad over this news. It's not like 3D Realms released anything noteworthy in recent years, so it's not like we're loosing a publisher that was bringing us consistently good games.

The saddest thing about this announcement is that we wont be getting any more classic 3DR vapourware announcements to make us laugh :(
I was hoping to continue the Duke Nukem release day jokes with my grandchildren.

Still,they shall be remembered for eternity for managing to lead on the vast majority for over 13 years.

dnfk.jpg

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
actually, they say Apogee is still alive. So, I 3DRealms' "IP" is returning to Apogee.

This is where I am confused.

It says on some sites (Wikipedia amongst them, but other sites say so too) that Apogee is the legal name of 3DRealms. (Another hint is that the copyright-notice on 3DRealms.com was always Apogee... ...never 3DRealms. The site is down currently, btw)

So are they the same company or two different companies.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
It's like running the longest marathon in history only to be struck dead by lighting near the finish line.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Anyone even remotely interested in seeing Duke Nukem Forever published needs their head examining.
This game has been the laughing stock of the games industry for as long as I can remember and no amount of hype is going to save it, even if it was put on the shelves.
Time to move on I think.

Lruce

BOiNG

Games for your mum
Jan 22, 2008
It's like running the longest marathon in history only to be struck dead by lighting near <--:lol: the finish line.

Except that in this case, there is some dude driving ahead of you in a car who keeps painting finishing lines all the way down the track, once you get anywhere close to the last one.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Holy crap. No matter what you think of Duke Nukem Forever 3D Realms (aka Apogee) shutting it's doors is possibly the biggest blow the game industry has taken in quite some time. I'm still finding it a little unbelievable, personally!

Why is it such a big blow? They haven't developed/released their own game since 1997 - they've published and produced games, yea, but as a dev studio they haven't really...done much. All they've got is the Duke Nukem history.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
This is where I am confused.

It says on some sites (Wikipedia amongst them, but other sites say so too) that Apogee is the legal name of 3DRealms. (Another hint is that the copyright-notice on 3DRealms.com was always Apogee... ...never 3DRealms. The site is down currently, btw)

So are they the same company or two different companies.
Apogee was resurrected by 3D Realms as a separate entity. They are working on mostly mobile games iirc.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Anyone even remotely interested in seeing Duke Nukem Forever published needs their head examining.
This game has been the laughing stock of the games industry for as long as I can remember and no amount of hype is going to save it, even if it was put on the shelves.
Time to move on I think.

So... skip DNF and go ahead with Duke Nukem 5? Or never ever build any FPS game like Duke Nukem 3D was?

I think you should pull your head out of ass. DNF is not a laughing stock, just like Daikatana wasn't, or Limbo of the Lost for that matter. They are good examples on how terribly things can go out of hand. Sure, of the customers of the game industry it might be a laughing matter. But not for anyone taking the game industry serious.

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
Kinda funny,You know,once I saw someone who was "Anti-Duke."Didn't hear much of his Bitching and Rambling but I did over hear him saying "Duke shuld B SURIOUSZ!" How?If Duke was serious,Duke 3D would of NEVER been made.And I do believe that the DNF devs were smoking some goooooood **** before switching from one engine to another to another to another to another.But I digress,I along with the very few here that actually have an APPRECIATION for games other then Unreal and Quake (oh I'm just waiting for the hate mail now lulz.)