new weapon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
hi all,

Im going mental at the moment with my new ideas, i want to practice a bit of coding (for practice, seee "learn"). I am a bit crap to say the least, and i was wondering if there was a site that has any decent tutorials on it. Chimerics are good, but they dont explain everything i need, and i have some pretty funky ideas to try out.

TIA

DrWinky

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
how funky?

first of all you need to make sure you have the tools to make your weapons. WOTgreal and UT Package Tool allow you to open up and export other UT .u package files. This way you can look at the code that makes other weapons out there similar to what you want to do work and get ideas. (note do not use anyone elses code without their permission and giving them credit in your readmes etc.) Next if you want to make new weapon models download Milkshape 3d. I personally have made nine new weapons using Milkshape 3d for the models and animation and tweaked new agent X code to make them work. If realistic weapons are what you want to make I highly suggest downloading the agent x source code by Jon Bartram available at www.planetunreal.com/agentx. but if you want to make really out of this world weapons I'd say open up the code in Unreal 4ever tournaments weapons or those weapons at WOD's website.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
where can i get these things of which u speak?

hi,

Where can i get these tools. I already have milkshape, and i have a few models made up (sort of). Im looking for skinning tutorials and some different tutorials for the overall fabrication of the weapon, as im sure ill screw up somewhere.

DrWinky

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
where the tools are

WOTgreal which can export meshes (models), scripts(.uc files) textures and sounds is available for download at www.wotgreal.com
UT package Tool does similar things as wotgreal, but as far as I know does not have an option to export everything in a package (all meshes, textures, classes etc) like wotgreal but sometimes I prefer to use it as you can look at a single class in a ut .u package without having to decompile the whole thing first. It is available at http://unreal.acordero.org/UTilities/

Unfortunately I haven't really been able myself to find any weapon making tutorials for ut. I don't really know anything myself about coding except that modifying existing UT weapons by changing default properties and using new models is fairly easy. At planetquake.com there is a hosted website called polycount that has tutorials on using milkshape to make and animate new weapons models for halflife and quake. making and animating weapons models to import to ut is a very, very similar process. As for skinning i use Milkshapes built in texture editor. Unfortunately I'm fairly new to skinning also so I have not been able to skin the models as nicely as I would like. I have heard that a program called chilliskinner may be useful for this but I don't know how to use it.