Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Winners

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic announced the winners of the 2013 Make Something Unreal Live contest. Amazingly, top honors went to a game called Epigenesis that looks very much like Unreal Tournament 2003's Bombing Run. I could find a single video of the gameplay to show you what I mean:

Congratulations to developer Dead Shark Triplepunch who walks away with an Unreal Engine license for the game.

In a surprise move, the judges also awarded a license to the second place game, Polymorph, by developer Kairos. All finalists got a generous helping of hardware from the sponsors.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Lol when I made the April fools joke thread about the contest, I wasn't aware that there actually was one running atm, since I hardly check other news sources other than BUF and this contest doesn't seem to be mentioned previously.
It seems my joke thread did fit in the right time, LoL.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Yeah it's the UDK, because anyone who thinks modding pre-existing games is cool is a faggot. CookedPCConsoles. Gotta do it all from scratch son!

/s
um, okay?

My point is i never saw any announcement on any major gaming website, BU, or from any well known editor i've ever talked to.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
um, okay?

Yeah boi.

My point is i never saw any announcement on any major gaming website, BU, or from any well known editor i've ever talked to.
My point is that you never heard of it because it's UDK. And making a UDK game ALONE making a good one with a good team of talented artists/designers/programmers is near impossible. I quoted you directly but that was a mistake apparently anyways.

Most UDK games were UT3 mods in the first place.

Also, /s = /sarcasm, therefore the attitude in my previous post.

Slightly offtopic:

My other point was that Epic Games now include tools for cooking the engine files, in other words they strip out the editor files and heavily encrypt games files for faster loading times so there's no use anymore. They want you to go from scratch with UDK. And the game developers will always use the cooking tools for the PC version. All games have it (CookedPCConsole).

Luckily that was before UT3.

I'm not saying UDK is bad, but stripping editor files in new games is, and it's a developer choice that will just keep on going.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I'm not saying UDK is bad, but stripping editor files in new games is, and it's a developer choice that will just keep on going.
That reminds me. Long ago DICE said they wouldn't release mod tools for Bad Company 2 because it'd be too hard for people to understand/etc
Found out a few weeks back that a group has reverse-engineered the game enough to create their own mod tools

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It was another 'MSUC' with exclusive entry requirements - there was one last year too, but that was equally left under the radar.

It wasn't the same thing as the previous 'proper' MSUCs like for UT2003 / UT3.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That reminds me. Long ago DICE said they wouldn't release mod tools for Bad Company 2 because it'd be too hard for people to understand/etc
Found out a few weeks back that a group has reverse-engineered the game enough to create their own mod tools

Yeah, and thankfully for them that was a different game engine. For a game like Borderlands 2 it is impossible to reverse, you have to start from scratch. And it would suck badly.

I'd love to see partnerships for contests for games like these but it will never happen.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I was about to comment about how people got the editor working with BL1, but I believe it wasn't that hard to enable in the first place, so it wouldn't surprise me if Gearbox locked BL2 down more thoroughly

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Like I said earlier, it was stripped out from the cooking process for faster loading times, the first title did not have that. That's why. And it sucks.

Anything UE3 related has to be UDK these days.

Gearbox: Loading times > Modding.
There you have it.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Stripping the editor wouldn't affect loading times at all.

Stripping any editable content would have a colossal impact, however. At this juncture, I'd like to point out that UT3's content was also cooked.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I don't know who won the first one, but Red Orchestra won the second. The Haunted won the third. Lost Chapters won the Make Something Unreal Live (when only members of one non-university* course were allowed to compete..) - it'd be a hard job tracking down that entry. I gather it was pulled from the App Store days after public release.

*The particular course is run by a for profit higher education company who doesn't hand out a recogniseable certificate at the end of it.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Which was meant to be Infiltration, but some idiot with say pulled his strings.
I believe Tactical Ops was older than Infiltration for UT, besides the really old versions of Tactical Ops were a lot different, I think I still have the old version somewhere, believe someone found it a while back too. It was more of a mod still than a counter strike clone game.

The old version of TO was meant to be included with GOTY even but someone didnt include it in and then Tactical Ops made itself into a full game/heavy facelift.

Last edited: