Bulletstorm Demo Arrives

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Don't talk to me like I know nothing about creating things in UED. I take offense to your insulting remarks. I'm not a professional mapper but I have been involved with a mod project for every PC UT.

Then you know exactly what I am talking about. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The whole point is that UDK is out of the picture, don't bring it in.

UDK is a good development tool, clearly, a whole game engine for INDIE developers, if people would be up to pay additional cash for mod support or an editor for Bulletstorm, yes, it would be silly, somehow (at least we would have it) but why would anyone remotely compare BS mod support to UDK?

That's what epic has been doing - moving modders to the UDK (at least they're trying). There's a few lines dropped by the community manager:

"We want you to play the game the way we designed it"
"We're making up that the skillshot system isn't included in the editor for more dramatic emphasis" (How does that make any sense?)
"There is no mod support for Bulletstorm, HOWEVER, blah blah UDK, blah blah blah please use it, good luck."

None of these clearly convinced me that UDK was relevant, or should be a new solution to keep modders away from their on-coming products.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
That's what epic has been doing - moving modders to the UDK (at least they're trying). That idea is overall retarded, as it suggest that people will ruin their precious games if they include mod support.
Frankly I think it's ridiculous to suggest the UDK is a bad thing. It opens the doors to a lot of people who think they have what it takes to make a game but don't have the financial backing for it.

That said, modders still need a purpose. There is still plenty of reason to have en editor with a game if it is felt there's demand for it. Most UDK started from modding a game. People need inspiration or something to start from. You shouldn't be concerned that Epic/whoever isn't going to include an editor just because the UDK exists.

Edit: You edit your posts way too much.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I intended to say their idea of moving modders to the UDK is bad by the way they've been doing it. I've added a few quotes in my previous post. I really, really hate the whole subtle idea of moving modders away from their products so they can force people into developing for the UDK.

I know they've spend a lot of budget into the UDK, Mark Rein's AAA jerk attitude toward an Indie dev. It's clever that they don't want to leave it as is, they want increasing numbers.

At the same time, the industry is likely doing the same thing.

Crysis 2 did NOT get mod support, but the leaked BETA version DID!! Can you believe that sh!t? I have the CryEngine 3 installed right now on one of my Hard Drives and the retail people will NEVER have it. I can make maps for Crysis 2, with a torrented version of the game. Now all that's lacking is an excuse labeling "Oh, we didn't ship the game with the editor and never will release it because the players can't jump in the editor." I toyed around the editor, it's fully functional.

Instead, Crytek is going to release their Cryengine 3 to the public (around this summer I heard), just like Epic Games, aiming at the indie community.

Now now, are the UDK and Cryengine 3 bad? No, they're not, what's so bad about it is the way studio developers/publishers completely remove their traditional mod support in their games at the same time.

There's a lot of profit to make there, apparently. Modding for games is barely going to be existent anymore.

You want to make a map for a game? Better work in the video game industry, son.
Or buy StarCraft 2. :gonk:

Edit: You edit your posts way too much.

Oh good, something we both agree on.
You haven't seen my previous 17,124 posts (more if you count the crash), then.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
if a game isn't worth it's price, yes, i'd say it has no value, at least to the people who wouldn't buy it at that price. Because if they would buy it, then it would have value.

An editor makes a great game (e.g. UT) even better. but if the game isn't great, or at least not great enough to be worth it's price on its own, then its less likely that a community is going to gather around and pick up the slack (And it's not going to have as good of an effect).

I'm not saying it makes a bad game good. I'm just saying that it adds value to the product. Take a solid game like Killing Floor. It supports UED and the community behind it has generated an amazing amount of content. Content = playtime = value. That's all I'm trying to say.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I'd rather have an editor(or some way to extract code) with a game than try to tool around with UDK
In UT2004 I made a handful of silly things. A few vehicle tweaks, some weapons, a bit of textures/mapping and just goofing around with the content

I wouldn't even know where to start with UDK because I have no clue how I'd be able to get those into something playable

An ingame editor I see as a fully stocked auto shop complete with a few vehicles to tinker with. Gimme enough time and I could come up with something screwy
UDK feels more like the same shop, but all I get is blocks of metal and told I have to build the cars first

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Crysis 2 did NOT get mod support, but the leaked BETA version DID!! Can you believe that sh!t? I have the CryEngine 3 installed right now on one of my Hard Drives and the retail people will NEVER have it. I can make maps for Crysis 2, with a torrented version of the game. Now all that's lacking is an excuse labeling "Oh, we didn't ship the game with the editor and never will release it because the players can't jump in the editor." I toyed around the editor, it's fully functional.

The leaked version was a developer build. So I wouldn't exactly call the editor that came with it mod support. How would developers make maps without it, after all?
So what we're seeing with Crysis 2 is pretty much an unfortunate event imo. I agree that it's kinda sad that they didn't ship the game with an editor but then again - they didn't include the editor with Crysis Wars but patched it in later on. Chances are they might do it again this time around. (Of course, they might also choose not to.)

Don't get me wrong, though. TBH, I bought the game to play around with an editor. The game itself is fun but my main motivation was Sandbox 3 so I understand why people are upset. I am one of those who are hoping for a patch that includes the editor (though hope is slowly dwindling to a halt, I'm afraid).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

Hammertime!

1236681958_hammer-time.gif

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Played the demo, some thoughts:

1) The demo seems to crash to desktop the first time I launch it. Works fine the second time. Could be my rig needing a restart but this isn't cool.
2) The default control scheme feels like someone was drunk when they did the button layout. I can understand wanting to put sprint/slide/vault on space bar (it does feel nice there), but considering I usually play with shift as sprint/run this feels incredibly weird. I tried putting it on shift and that felt weird when I tried to vault something. Also, who's the genius who decided to conflate use and reload into the same button? I understand this was a console port, but is there a reason they couldn't map a button on the controller map to multiple commands instead of merging everything like this? The game would feel a lot more keyboard friendly if I had discrete buttons for vault and use.
3) Game automatically picked the highest resolution. Nice touch there.
4) Gameplay is fun. Need to play more and get used to the weapons. Highest score I managed to get is around 5k :( I'm not good with thinking on my feet for high scores I think.
5) Did this game really need iron sights? Seriously. Actually, do they really matter a ton? I'd love to map RMB to the charge shot (again, why is this not plain alt-fire on PC?) and MMB to leash or kick and forget about the aim button if I can.

Overall, I'll be getting this. Eventually. It looks like a solid experience, but it's very obvious the PC experience was an afterthought. At the bare minimum I was expecting something that controlled like Borderlands and this falls short of that. If I have to pause and think about which button I need to press to sprint or vault or pick up the Gatling gun off the stand that's a problem.

This doesn't feel like a game worth the $60 EA/Epic are asking for. I feel like a hypocrite for not immediately rushing out to buy it after playing the demo I've been very vocal about, but we're approaching 2 months after release without the traditional post-release patch and the demo was incredibly late. There's a fun game inside, but the craftsmanship feels a little lacking. I know Epic is capable of better so I think I'm going to wait a little longer before sinking any money into this one.

EDIT: Went back to the demo and played through the echo a couple more times trying to get a control scheme I liked. I ended up meeting the game 1/2 way and left most things in the default locations. But I still cannot find a place for charge shot that feels natural to me. Am I the only one with this problem?

Last edited: