Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
"We've been keeping quiet about our upcoming UT3 plans because we've found it's better not to say anything when we aren't sure of the timing of upcoming releases. However, as Mark hinted, we have been working on a large update and expansion to UT3, and we'll be starting to talk more about it soon."

Found this at VE3D

Most interesting for me is that's an expansion and "a large update". I'm curious about it! :D

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I seriously hope it will be not like this guy says:
A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable.

Otherwise it will be worse game for me............

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Translation:

"It could be vaporware or it could be done...uh...whenever! And it'll never be as good as we hype it to be. (Shhh...!) But ya'll hang in there!"

:stick:

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2219198 said:
Translation:

"It could be vaporware or it could be done...uh...whenever! And it'll never be as good as we hype it to be. (Shhh...!) But ya'll hang in there!"

:stick:
Yeah, hype sucks and when something is released it's usually an disappointment. I don't really care about any more content, fix the damn game. FIX IT. FFS

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
"We've been keeping quiet about our upcoming UT3 plans because we've found it's better not to say anything when we aren't sure of the timing of upcoming releases."
That's the way to do it. No hype, no expectations and no disappointments.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
No hype? We've been hearing it all over the place from Epic people, then again I guess its because we are in amongst it the people who arnt probably dont have a clue unless they heard it from a UT fan friend.

Id be happy if they kept everything totally under wraps until its out tbh, atleast then it'll hit and if its good it'll hit big, word of mouth will do the rest :cool:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yups 3 times and they rekon they are being quiet about it, we got no clue when its gonna be released it could be a year off (or even more :eek:) so you can guarantee it'd be mentioned more before then. I really hope they keep it to a minimum though, its not like Epic could keep it so secret we wouldnt know till we walk past it on the shelf in the games shop :lol:

I do like how this time its said as update and expansion, now I know people could take this the wrong way but to me this means they are working on fixing up UT3 as well as adding stuff onto it.

Im just not sure where I stand with what Epic says these days! If they start doing what they say they are doing/going to do, then this is good news.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
"A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable."

These words are so true. I was the biggest basher of 2004. But I see now it was a very good game and wish they would go back to that style of game.

shletten

Shletten
Jul 16, 2008
Canada\Québec
As for me, I have got to admit that I really miss Unreal Tournament 2004. I kind of like Unreal Tournament 3 very much but it really is lacking content: a great interface, many options that are disappeared, more game modes, more characters, more weapons and especially more maps! Seriously, the game feels totally empty and souless and the new story doesn't help, where the hell is the tournament spirit in all that?! The huge amount of content in UT2004 is what made it so enjoyable for me. I do prefer UT3's gameplay over UT2004 though, it feels much more violent and grounded and I really like that, I am also better at it and wish it was more popular but it doesn't feel like a completed game yet. Yet, there are still many modders, custom maps realease every weeks but still there aren't enough players to compensate... :(

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Well I still have UT2004 on my computer and I recently fired it up and started playing it again. And the game is beautiful. I don't know why when they made UT3 that they thought grungy was a better look but the UT2004 maps look great. Who want's to look and bland walls and garbage filled floors. It's like they thought "Hey lets throw dirt on the walls, floors and ceiling, that will make things look way cooler." And the bots seem to be stupider. I tried to like UT3 but when I go back and play UT2004 I can't kid myself and say UT3 is a better game. Not for me anyways and that just one mans personal opinion. I even think the characters in UT2004 look better.:mwink:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I went back and played UT2004 and I can't stack up to the better players even more than before. I got aggravated that I die a lot in UT3, but then I went back to UT2004 and I can't hardly even get a kill in that game.

UT3 went "grungy" because that is what UT's style always was. I'd rather that the UT series followed an uphill path from UT, not UT200x, personally. While UT2004 is a fine game and quite polished, the gameplay just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I've been playing it for 6 years now, I don't know. But anything they do to UT3 better not return the series back to UT200x style gameplay or I'll find myself a new series to love and cherish (if even possible).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The AI coder's giving us a hint. That's weird.
But then I'll remain optimist yeah. But TBFH I expect nothing from this so called expansion.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I went back and played UT2004 and I can't stack up to the better players even more than before. I got aggravated that I die a lot in UT3, but then I went back to UT2004 and I can't hardly even get a kill in that game.

UT3 went "grungy" because that is what UT's style always was. I'd rather that the UT series followed an uphill path from UT, not UT200x, personally. While UT2004 is a fine game and quite polished, the gameplay just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I've been playing it for 6 years now, I don't know. But anything they do to UT3 better not return the series back to UT200x style gameplay or I'll find myself a new series to love and cherish (if even possible).

I agree with you completely. UT99 and UT3 are just much more satisfying experiences, the movement has good weight to it, the weapons are all extremely powerful. 2k4 was a step in the wrong direction, but yea its all been said before.

UT3 is a great game underneath all of it's issues. It just needs some time back in the oven and some better maps and content. That's what I'm hoping for with this expansion. You hear that Epic? I haven't given up on you yet!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree with you completely. UT99 and UT3 are just much more satisfying experiences, the movement has good weight to it, the weapons are all extremely powerful. 2k4 was a step in the wrong direction, but yea its all been said before.

UT3 is a great game underneath all of it's issues. It just needs some time back in the oven and some better maps and content. That's what I'm hoping for with this expansion. You hear that Epic? I haven't given up on you yet!
:tup:! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.