Installing this crap is gonna be SOOO damn easy!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I cant believe I was so worried!! My one friend was even more scared than me, but anyway it's all in the damn manual! EVERYTHING from how to insert the CPU to Jumper settings, etc etc!!! This is gonna be so fecking easy!! :D
just thought I'd let you guys know er something :/

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
mobo i assume?

take close watch of these:

jumper settings: one false jumper and the whole board could fry.

HDD/Floppy cables - most new mobos and cables are one-way, but make sure anyway that they are facing the correct direction, incorrect placement may cause your system not to boot oy a device to be preminantly damaged.

Power - if its AT, black to black on the power cables.

and finally, if it wont post, DO NOT LEAVE IT ON, and do not try to reboot it more than once. turn off asap. check jumpers, connections. try another VC (i always keep a PCI VC around, because some mobos wont post with an AGP one on first boot/flash/clear.

anyway, have fun.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by FireSlash
mobo i assume?

take close watch of these:

jumper settings: one false jumper and the whole board could fry.

HDD/Floppy cables - most new mobos and cables are one-way, but make sure anyway that they are facing the correct direction, incorrect placement may cause your system not to boot oy a device to be preminantly damaged.

Power - if its AT, black to black on the power cables.

and finally, if it wont post, DO NOT LEAVE IT ON, and do not try to reboot it more than once. turn off asap. check jumpers, connections. try another VC (i always keep a PCI VC around, because some mobos wont post with an AGP one on first boot/flash/clear.

anyway, have fun.
ok so...what wont post?
can someone PLEASE explain WTF a jumper is/looks like etc? I've been hearing nothing but bad things about em, but I just cant figure out wtf they are or what they look like!

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Jumpers generally have 2 positions they can be put in. If there's more than two options for something, it will require several jumpers. There will be 3 pins on the motherboard. Putting the jumper (small piece of plastic with 2 holes w/ metal contacts which are connected) on pin 1 and 2 will complete a different circuit than putting it on 2 and 3, thus a different setting (the easiest way I know to explain it).

POST codes are the beeps your computer makes when starting up. If it won't boot, it will often have a code of beeps to give a hint to the problem. There should be a list of these in the motherboard manual.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by ILoveGuns
I cant believe I was so worried!! My one friend was even more scared than me, but anyway it's all in the damn manual! EVERYTHING from how to insert the CPU to Jumper settings, etc etc!!! This is gonna be so fecking easy!! :D
just thought I'd let you guys know er something :/

thats what I said when building my computer, it took me 4 months and help from one of my dads friends to finally finish :D