Steam - just hot air or actually a driving force for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The Steam hate on this forum has always been completely insane. Is installing a game from a DVD and installing patches and incremental patches something people actually enjoy? I'm glad I never have to do that garbage ever again.

Nobody said anything about installing games from a physical medium. This may be new to you, but there's this cool invention they call a "web browser" that can connect to servers on the internet to fetch virtual objects they call "files" and store them on your own computer.
And here's the cool part: These "files" can be the same things that would be read from a DVD while installing games! Now isn't that a totally mind-blowing invention?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Nobody said anything about installing games from a physical medium. This may be new to you, but there's this cool invention they call a "web browser" that can connect to servers on the internet to fetch virtual objects they call "files" and store them on your own computer.
And here's the cool part: These "files" can be the same things that would be read from a DVD while installing games! Now isn't that a totally mind-blowing invention?

LOL, OWNT!

I do have to agree with the steam negative side in a way for this game, specially because its going to be the most modded game at that time. If the game is going to follow the same directory paths as the previous versions it will make modding much easier as it has been. Having to go through a long list of subfolders inside the Valve or Steam folder is a joke, it makes very difficult for a modder or tweaker to do things fast and proper. I'm pretty sure that there's people that feel this way about Steam's subfolder issues and is the biggest reason why I never bother buying UT3 as well.

Here's an example comparing the difference between the game's folder address that I think it would be so you can see what I mean:

C:\Games\Unreal Tournament 4

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\Unreal Tournament 4

Now, imagine yourself having to constantly install a lot of mods manually. And imagine yourself closing the window by accident and having to get to that folder again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

One of the biggest issue with steam is their constant updating, sometimes it happens up to 3 times a week. Every time an update happens it takes a lot of disk space that you might limitedly have reserved. Sometimes, I end up having to uninstall a game or other files in order to compensate for the space the steam's update took which I kept as the minimum amount of space for memory used in most games. This issue gets to a point that it pisses you off too much that you have to permanently uninstall something that you really need.

------------------------------------------------------------

And yet, the worse issue with steam is the annoying Launcher crashes. I have several games running from steam and each one of them give me constant crashes and errors due to their Launchers failing or not loading properly. In most cases, I would launch my favorite steam game and it will keep crashing because of steam not executing some driver(s) properly. This problem gets so bad that I have to restart the PC so that it works, but there's times that I would have to restart the PC again until the crashing stops. Heck, an estimated average for my steam games to crash before they get to launch properly is around 70%, and when they do launch and the game is running, there's an estimated average of about 30% that it will crash while I'm playing. lol ...yeah, it is that bad.

The only thing I like about steam is their discounts and advertising which makes it a little easier from going to a store and be disappointed for not finding the game you wanted to buy. Plus, the easy way to add friends to a list who you can chat with while playing or not. But that's about it, it gets to a time when you get really tired of its malfunctioning which makes you wonder what it would've been getting the game by other means.

I just hope that Epic realizes the ups and downs of the steam network and give their customers the choice of having the game installed with steam integrated or without it. I think that that would be a fair deal for us since we are the ones spending the money for something that we expect as a consumer.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
It takes two clicks to get to the local content of an installed game.

You can set Steam to not auto update if you wish.

If it's crashing that much then the problem is probably on the local computer. I've been using Steam for years on multiple computers and I can count on one hand how many times the launcher has failed to launch a game. (less than 5)

Steam's discounts are so awesome it's the reason why I have so many games. :(

I do like the idea of integrating UT4 into Steam but also giving users the option to have it standalone.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
A game can use Steam Workshop, integrate Steam features and not necessarily require Steam. This is what I would like to see.

Same. Steam is really convenient for multiplayer games and I use it all the time, especially for joining friends, but I would prefer it not to be forced in any way.

It should use Steam. For no other reason than pissing off the Steam haters on BuF :D

It's comments like this that make me want see the reverse happen just to see Steam fanboys go into a mouth-frothing rage.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for some people to accept that everyone can win. What's so bad about that?

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Give a choice.

There's no reason a game can't be run through Steam and as a standalone at the same time, with players choosing on install which they want to use. Planetside 2 does this without any issues.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I just bought a second copy of UT2k4 on Steam because I got tired of trying to track down my disks every time I needed a new install.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on Steam.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's comments like this that make me want see the reverse happen just to see Steam fanboys go into a mouth-frothing rage.

The same can be said about your comments. I also don't rage when a game isn't on Steam, I just think it's silly for people to bash Steam because they want a CD and a booklet with their game because IT WILL LAST FOREVER (it won't). Welcome to 2014, yo.

Last edited:

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
The same can be said about your comments. I also don't rage when a game isn't on Steam, I just think it's silly for people to bash Steam because they want a CD and a booklet with their game because IT WILL LAST FOREVER (it won't). Welcome to 2014, yo.

Like Wormbo said, no one is talking about physical mediums here. Why is it always brought up? It's completely irrelevant to the discussion since the new UT game isn't even going to be on a disk.

My only real problem with forcing Steam is that it restricts things to one medium and in some cases is required to play online. I wouldn't care about that if the Steam servers worked 100% of the time, but it's impossible for there to be no downtime. Given the choice, chances are I would use Steam since it's so convenient, but I would rather it not be forced. If it were integrated but wouldn't be needed to connect to servers, I would be fine with that.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Like Wormbo said, no one is talking about physical mediums here. Why is it always brought up? It's completely irrelevant to the discussion since the new UT game isn't even going to be on a disk.

It's always brought up because that's why people bitch about it. I just think Steam haters hate on Steam for dumb reasons and it would be funny to see people boycott a free game just because it's on Steam.

Steam.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Convenience is a good thing, but people also need to think little ahead. Some thoughts why relying on online authentication system isn't best approach:

- There's no 100% uptime guarantee.
- When online service is unavailable or shuts down, you cannot access your content.
- If account gets compromised, you will lose access to everything associated with it.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Convenience is a good thing, but people also need to think little ahead. Some thoughts why relying on online authentication system isn't best approach:

- There's no 100% uptime guarantee.
- When online service is unavailable or shuts down, you cannot access your content.
- If account gets compromised, you will lose access to everything associated with it.

:tup:

My sentiments exactly. Not that I don't like Steam, but UT is one of those games I like to have independent of Steam. And please, no more Gamespy login with this next edition of UT.

Bah_Mee

No one escapes us!
Yes of course put it on Steam! Its a great platform that ensures the highest amount of players will install and play the game. Plenty of free games on Steam with their own marketplace have been very successful.

Yay Fullbleed!

I hope its used with steam support, I also hope it isn't required to play but just another great option for more people to play!!!

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org

And Steam streamlining this process for you makes it a bad thing. Gotcha!

Steam is without a doubt, the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming, so the fact that anyone could not like it is mindblowing.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And Steam streamlining this process for you makes it a bad thing. Gotcha!

Steam is without a doubt, the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming, so the fact that anyone could not like it is mindblowing.

I love doing extra shit because it makes me feel nostalgic!

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Yeah, but his argument is that Steam isn't the only software that will automatically update your game for you. There are plenty of ways to accomplish it with little input from the end user such as how Blizzard updates their games. Well Starcraft (both) and Diablo III at least.

IMHO, I think the more choices the better. Allow the end user to choose whether he wants to do manual updates, use services such as Steam and have a solution for auto updates through Epic.

One thing about PC gamers is you can not satisfy them all, but you have the ability to give them all a choice to do it the way they want.