Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bagenholt

No fake teeth please!
Oct 29, 2008
England
Okay, I must be dumb, so someone enlighten me.

Besides being able to load the game on another game and not having to keep track of your disks, what's the big "YESSSS" for? What's the big advantage that I need to unistall, download, and reinstall?

I've used steam to purchase and install other games, but I don't understand what the big advantage if you already own the disk version of the game (notice I said "big" advantage. I can see all the small perks, but what really makes it worth going through all the hassle?)

All I've heard is achievements... Why are you guy's getting boners over it?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Okay, I must be dumb, so someone enlighten me.

Besides being able to load the game on another game and not having to keep track of your disks, what's the big "YESSSS" for? What's the big advantage that I need to unistall, download, and reinstall?

I've used steam to purchase and install other games, but I don't understand what the big advantage if you already own the disk version of the game (notice I said "big" advantage. I can see all the small perks, but what really makes it worth going through all the hassle?)

auto update is a big one for me. Also, not having to worry about losing my box is another big benefit. YESSSSS.

~Jason

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
All I've heard is achievements... Why are you guy's getting boners over it?

The biggest benefit on steam is finding friends to play with.

Very helpful for frag bu. Once I see half my friend list start playing UT 3 all I have to do is join game from steam, no server browsing etc. Very quick and easy access to online games.

And hopefully with the steam integration more people will start playing and give gamespy the middle finger.

Also not sure about UT 3 but achievements in TF 2 are actually a good thing, earning them gives me cool unlocks towards weapons for each class (at least those that are currently updated like pyro, medic and heavy) unlike 360 where all those achievements don't do squat except show a number on my gamer tag, what can I do with 9490....NOTHING.

Last edited:

EggSuckingLeech

Jul 27, 2004
I have UT3 installed from when I bought it. I also have Steam games - interesting distribution mechanism but beyond that I see no benefits. I don't really understand the big deal so somebody fill us in.

Also, I never really got the point of achievements in a game like this - is that it?

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I have UT3 installed from when I bought it. I also have Steam games - interesting distribution mechanism but beyond that I see no benefits. I don't really understand the big deal so somebody fill us in.

I'll say it again, just differently. One of the biggest benefits of steam is community, TF 2 has one, L4D has one. Now with UT 3 steam integration the once lost and forgotten community will hopefully play the game and be able to find games with ease. (w/upcoming patch)

And with this most of my friends that don't have UT 3 that are on steam will see me or other people playing and may end up getting the game and joining in.

Last edited:

Bagenholt

No fake teeth please!
Oct 29, 2008
England
Also not sure about UT 3 but achievements in TF 2 are actually a good thing, earning them gives me cool unlocks towards weapons for each class (at least those that are currently updated like pyro, medic and heavy) unlike 360 where all those achievements don't do squat except show a number on my gamer tag, what can I do with 9490....NOTHING.

Then what do the achievements do for the PC version?

Bagenholt

No fake teeth please!
Oct 29, 2008
England
I'll say it again, just differently. One of the biggest benefits of steam is community, TF 2 has one, L4D has one. Now with UT 3 steam integration the once lost and forgotten community will play the game (w/upcoming patch)

Do you hang out on irc channels?

EggSuckingLeech

Jul 27, 2004
How does Steam create a community? I saw your prior post and it sounds like you are not a user of xfire or irc - the mechanisms I use to find friends playing online.

EggSuckingLeech

Jul 27, 2004
So let me cut to it and ask directly. Sir_Brizz and Hal both said "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!" and I know they have been around the UT block as long or longer than I have. Fill us in for why this is significant news because I don't understand the value behind the reasons posted so far.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
I would agree that probably the biggest benefit of Steam is the community. After getting TF2, and then again with L4D, I very quickly got a big list of friends on the "Steam Community", whom I play with frequently. Though because UT3 wont be that closely integrated with Steam Community, and you will still have to log in using those damn GameSpy IDs, I imagine it wont work quite and nicely...

I'll probably register my key with Steam, but leave my regular installation alone for now. But it will be good to then have the fallback option incase something happens to my UT3 case.

I use Steam quite a bit these days, but my biggest issues have always been the forced "Steam/SteamApps/" install dir, and ofcourse that you have to log in to steam every time you want to play, which means no offline fun.

Bagenholt

No fake teeth please!
Oct 29, 2008
England
Well just to celebrate the release I'm buying a new mouse to frag the **** out of you guys :p
See you all there lmao

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
So let me cut to it and ask directly. Sir_Brizz and Hal both said "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!" and I know they have been around the UT block as long or longer than I have. Fill us in for why this is significant news because I don't understand the value behind the reasons posted so far.

Because, XFire and IRC, as opposed to Steam, do not game-community hubs make! :eek: