Mass Effect 3 "exclusives" are starting to pop up.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
so can anyone just say whether or not they think this is worth playing?

as most of you know I loved ME 1 and 2, pretty much equally, but for different reasons.
but now there's so much heresy and flak surrounding the third installment that I honestly have yet to decide if I want to play it or not.
even just to see where the story goes.

I can't figure out who to trust this time :lol: the rhetoric is so hyperbolic on all sides it seems people either love or hate ME3. and so much of it is based on expectations and pure fanboyism that I'm finding it difficult to get any kind of fair snapshot.

can someone provide a simple, fair-shake review?

How about: It's hard to explain without spoilers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
so can anyone just say whether or not they think this is worth playing?

as most of you know I loved ME 1 and 2, pretty much equally, but for different reasons.
but now there's so much heresy and flak surrounding the third installment that I honestly have yet to decide if I want to play it or not.
even just to see where the story goes.

I can't figure out who to trust this time :lol: the rhetoric is so hyperbolic on all sides it seems people either love or hate ME3. and so much of it is based on expectations and pure fanboyism that I'm finding it difficult to get any kind of fair snapshot.

can someone provide a simple, fair-shake review?
A better question is "is the game worth $60?" and I think the answer to that question is a resounding "No."

The game is fun, the combat is yet again improved slightly and the weapon feel a little bit better this time around, but it suffers from many of the flaws of ME2. Chances are, if you thought ME2 was the better game, you will love the pants off of this one. Areas are slightly larger than in ME2, the Citadel feels like a place even if it isn't as well done as ME1, etc. If you liked ME1 more, you are going to be just as frustrated with this game as you were with ME2. They did at least add a few features back in from ME1, like you can have grenades now (why that was ever removed......).

Dialogue involvement is far worse, planet scanning is still there and just as mundane, you start basically without a crew... again, the side missions are confusing ("earth is literally being destroyed, let me help this lady on the Citadel") which bothers me far more than it did in ME1...

But, like I said, the game is fun. I think it's worth buying, I just question WHEN it is worth buying. If you add in the fact that the From Ashes DLC is really required to have a complete game, you're looking at $70 for a finished product right now, and I can't really say it's worth anywhere NEAR that price. When I'm done I may sell my copy on and wait for it to get down to around $10 for myself, but that is what I also did with ME2 and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Still, the "From Ashes" thing kills me. One of the worst decisions Bioware has ever made.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I've been enjoying it, but it is a fairly flawed game. I think the biggest impact on my early opinion is that the first missions are really not very good and that there are some really painful graphical issues and very low resolution textures where there really shouldn't be (i.e characters that are consistently viewed up close).

The side missions are nonsense and detract from the overall game experience. I did one last night that basically boiled down to 'I'm going to travel to the complete arse-end of the universe to save two slum-dwelling civilian nobodies' - in the middle of an intergalactic war for survivial where billions are dying every day. Come on Bioware, context, please!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'd say it's worth it. They made upgrades matter again (you choose the pro v con), the combat feels better and the plot moves well (I'm probably about halfway or so, so I can't say how it ends, though). I like the side missions much better, too. There are still a few moments where they don't make sense, but largely they seem to actually matter (and the galactic preparedness is a good gimmick--it makes each small thing you do add up on the larger scale). Planet scanning is still in, but if you complain about it, you're a little bitch. Instead of scouring the entire planet for resources, you're spending 3 seconds finding the white dot (like uncovering hidden bases in ME2 planet scans). I love, however, the little avoid the reaper minigame when trying to find more resources.

From what I've read, From Ashes is pretty worthless, with the revelations from the Prothean character adding up to precious little, so it seems easy as hell to just skip (I did). The only thing that strikes me as a big deal is the flow of conversations. It doesn't come back to you for every single exchange (in other words, you'll choose an option and sometimes that will be the choice that dictates the next 2 or 3 back and forths with a character). It doesn't feel like I've lost control of the conversations (almost all choices in all the games don't matter), but it is noticeable. On the same note: your choices matter a whole lot more. You are really given a lot of juicy opportunities with your choices that seem to actually matter.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Planet scanning is still in, but if you complain about it, you're a little bitch.
:(
I don't know anybody who liked planet scanning. The only opinion other than "it flat-out sucked" was that, yes, it sucked, but at least it didn't take as long as driving the mako around on empty square planets.

In other words: Why wouldn't they bring it back?:lol:

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd say it's worth it. They made upgrades matter again (you choose the pro v con), the combat feels better and the plot moves well (I'm probably about halfway or so, so I can't say how it ends, though). I like the side missions much better, too. There are still a few moments where they don't make sense, but largely they seem to actually matter (and the galactic preparedness is a good gimmick--it makes each small thing you do add up on the larger scale). Planet scanning is still in, but if you complain about it, you're a little bitch. Instead of scouring the entire planet for resources, you're spending 3 seconds finding the white dot (like uncovering hidden bases in ME2 planet scans). I love, however, the little avoid the reaper minigame when trying to find more resources.
I find it ironic that you complained about the side missions in ME1 and don't mind the side missions in this game. I have exactly the opposite problem (didn't care about them in ME1, drive me nuts in this game). so far, at least half of my side missions have been stupid fetch quests. There have been at least a couple of missions where I have literally walked into a room on the Citadel, pressed one button and then watched a 5 minute cinematic that completed the mission. WTF?

Planet scanning is still mundane and boring, it's just less mundane and boring than it was in ME2. Also, the mouse sensitivity in it is HORRIBLE, at my current sensitivity that makes shooting functional (but not perfect) I move about an inch of screen space by moving the mouse across my entire mousepad. Yuck.

It is nice that the plot is moving, though. That aspect of it is, so far, WAY better than ME2.
From what I've read, From Ashes is pretty worthless, with the revelations from the Prothean character adding up to precious little, so it seems easy as hell to just skip (I did).
That's fine, but it's not really worthless if you are interested in the lore of the games. It's not that he adds a huge, branching, interesting storyline to the game, it's that his recruit mission contains a lot of information about the Protheans, enough so that he simply should have been a part of the main game and not a stupid DLC. Without question, you are missing a significant piece of the game with that not there.
It doesn't feel like I've lost control of the conversations (almost all choices in all the games don't matter), but it is noticeable.
I feel like it's a LOT less control. It feels like you are picking cinematics to watch, not affecting the conversation. In the other games the dialogue options didn't change much, but at least there were enough of them that you felt like you were controlling the conversation. Of course, it got progressively worse because ME2 was closer to this than ME1.
On the same note: your choices matter a whole lot more. You are really given a lot of juicy opportunities with your choices that seem to actually matter.
Like what? So far I haven't had to make any earth shattering choices other than ones that either gave me or didn't give me war assets...

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I had to make a decision that at the time implied I had to choose to back one or another race in order to gain their allegiance, at the expense of the other.

In reality it didn't make any difference; the game played out so that I got both anyway.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I find it ironic that you complained about the side missions in ME1 and don't mind the side missions in this game. I have exactly the opposite problem (didn't care about them in ME1, drive me nuts in this game). so far, at least half of my side missions have been stupid fetch quests. There have been at least a couple of missions where I have literally walked into a room on the Citadel, pressed one button and then watched a 5 minute cinematic that completed the mission. WTF?
Multiquote fun. It drove me nuts in ME1 because in that game, you're literally chasing after someone and racing against time. In this game, even though, yes, Earth is being destroyed, it's understood by everyone involved that you're playing the long game, and while faster is better, there is no clock where an hour + or - really matters, it's all about getting everything you can. So the fetch quests are to bring in materials that help the war effort and the only time you're doing anything to the likes of checking up on a loved one, its because you were on a bigger mission when you happened to find a recording. This makes much, much more sense to me and its why I like it better.

Planet scanning is still mundane and boring, it's just less mundane and boring than it was in ME2. Also, the mouse sensitivity in it is HORRIBLE, at my current sensitivity that makes shooting functional (but not perfect) I move about an inch of screen space by moving the mouse across my entire mousepad. Yuck.

Yes, if you hold down the RMB it moves slowly, which is why you don't do that, tapping it only every once in a while to check the position. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 seconds to find any of the scans.

That's fine, but it's not really worthless if you are interested in the lore of the games. It's not that he adds a huge, branching, interesting storyline to the game, it's that his recruit mission contains a lot of information about the Protheans, enough so that he simply should have been a part of the main game and not a stupid DLC. Without question, you are missing a significant piece of the game with that not there.

That's a shame, but my understanding was more that he is mostly ignorant of anything important to the game. It does annoy me that they left him out, but not enough that I'm willing to cough up $10 for him. The game is full enough that I can't be bothered.

I feel like it's a LOT less control. It feels like you are picking cinematics to watch, not affecting the conversation. In the other games the dialogue options didn't change much, but at least there were enough of them that you felt like you were controlling the conversation. Of course, it got progressively worse because ME2 was closer to this than ME1.
I understand how you feel, but most of the choices in ME1 were fake choices anyways. You would pick a meaningful arc to the conversation and then everytime Shepard talked it would kick it back to you even though all you would ask was something like: why? It was silly. It's a definite change, one that emphasizes a kind of a third person distance rather than a tighter control over the character, but it doesn't seem out of place for me or like I've lost any real control. This one is going to vary a bit from person to person.

Like what? So far I haven't had to make any earth shattering choices other than ones that either gave me or didn't give me war assets...
I've enjoyed all of the main plot bits, from Udina to Mordin to the Rachni. I've also enjoyed that the Quarian mission keeps letting you make a choice and then completely ignoring it (depending on your choice). It feels appropriately frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, the game is imperfect (seriously, Bioware, HIRE SOME BETTER ANIMATORS), and falls prey to a lot of the problems that Bioware tends to repeat, (including some false choices, which one of the things I said above is) but I think it is probably the best of the series.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It drove me nuts in ME1 because in that game, you're literally chasing after someone and racing against time. In this game, even though, yes, Earth is being destroyed, it's understood by everyone involved that you're playing the long game, and while faster is better, there is no clock where an hour + or - really matters, it's all about getting everything you can. So the fetch quests are to bring in materials that help the war effort and the only time you're doing anything to the likes of checking up on a loved one, its because you were on a bigger mission when you happened to find a recording. This makes much, much more sense to me and its why I like it better.
I don't know. I guess what bothers me is that, at the beginning of the game, Earth is basically overrun. When you leave, it's like "Get the council to come help us or we are doomed." Then, as soon as you leave, Hackett is telling you to go to Mars, and the side missions really go downhill from there. Some of them are as dumb as scanning a planet for a flag (and to get to that planet you have to travel to another system and fly to another solar system almost running out of gas and scan a planet). Many of them are A LOT better than that, but they all feel out of place to me so far. The main plot missions are decent, but even several of them feel like a reason to go somewhere rather than a meaningful part of the plot.
Yes, if you hold down the RMB it moves slowly, which is why you don't do that, tapping it only every once in a while to check the position. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 seconds to find any of the scans.
I don't hold it down and it is that slow, so imagine how slow it is holding it down :)
That's a shame, but my understanding was more that he is mostly ignorant of anything important to the game. It does annoy me that they left him out, but not enough that I'm willing to cough up $10 for him. The game is full enough that I can't be bothered.
I probably wouldn't recommend paying the $10 for it. If you don't care about the backstory to the series, you're not going to care much about the character or mission. But it DOES have a lot of good backstory and it is a real disappointment that it is not part of the game.
I understand how you feel, but most of the choices in ME1 were fake choices anyways. You would pick a meaningful arc to the conversation and then everytime Shepard talked it would kick it back to you even though all you would ask was something like: why? It was silly. It's a definite change, one that emphasizes a kind of a third person distance rather than a tighter control over the character, but it doesn't seem out of place for me or like I've lost any real control. This one is going to vary a bit from person to person.
I realize that, but it FELT like you were controlling the conversations more, especially on your first play through. I don't think it makes the game terrible (and I honestly don't think the game is terrible), it just detracts from the overall feel of the game because it is too different from both of the previous games.
Don't get me wrong, the game is imperfect (seriously, Bioware, HIRE SOME BETTER ANIMATORS), and falls prey to a lot of the problems that Bioware tends to repeat, (including some false choices, which one of the things I said above is) but I think it is probably the best of the series.
Well, like I said, I have mixed feelings about it. I think it comes down to which of the first two games you enjoyed more, because this game is a lot more ME2 (and, in some cases, even further down that road) than it is ME1. So far the plot missions and a handful of the side missions have been WAY more interesting than anything else in the series, though, which is good. The missions aren't as much "run from point a to point b getting in some firefights and have a big battle at the end and the mission is over". So I definitely enjoy playing the game, I just don't know if it's as good as I wanted it to be (seeing as I preferred ME1 over ME2).

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
So the fetch quests are to bring in materials that help the war effort and the only time you're doing anything to the likes of checking up on a loved one, its because you were on a bigger mission when you happened to find a recording.

That's not really true at all. Whilst it is true in some of the more significant missions (i.e the missions with past characters returning), the real side missions make no sense. I go back to the previous example of 'travel across the entire galaxy to save two civilians' scenario. I've played an awful lot of those, and they seem to have no relevance in the plot or game in any meaningful way.

You can also use the keyboard. It's still a bit tedious though, there are a lot of systems to cover.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
That's not really true at all. Whilst it is true in some of the more significant missions (i.e the missions with past characters returning), the real side missions make no sense. I go back to the previous example of 'travel across the entire galaxy to save two civilians' scenario. I've played an awful lot of those, and they seem to have no relevance in the plot or game in any meaningful way.

Really? Because I've come across only one of those in the first 25 hours of my first playthrough. The rest of the fetch quests has largely been about finding particular artifacts to return to particular NPCs on the Citadel.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
On a more positive note, I'm loving how organically the team member recruiting is so far. That aspect feels a lot more like ME1 than ME2. The Prothean mission feels like part of the plot, and running into people along the way flows nicely. Too bad the Prothean mission costs money.... :(

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

I honestly don't know what you're referring to. The side missions are almost all rescuing a helpful squad or fetching an artifact. Some of the artifacts are merely symbolic, but the vast majority of them help the war effort in some way. What I found especially helpful was that they actually say WHY it was helpful or not within the game.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
On a more positive note, I'm loving how organically the team member recruiting is so far. That aspect feels a lot more like ME1 than ME2. The Prothean mission feels like part of the plot, and running into people along the way flows nicely. Too bad the Prothean mission costs money.... :(

The video I linked above dealt with that didn't it? Or was it just a character?