Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Yeah, I agree. My main concerns were that my university frequently do checks on the net to see if your work is your own, and so I'm always thinking that they'd come across an unwatermarked photo and despite having the originals etc. they may think I stole it from someone else.

At a training course, this guy gave a great tip to use with copyrighted images.

What he does is add a prefix - "pf-" for his initials for example - to all the pictures he's made for a web project. That way all he has to do to find a stolen picture is to type something like ^pf-* filetype:jpg in Google and click on the images link.

You could do something similar on top of the watermarking.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Spontaneously edited and uploaded. :O

Littleflowers.jpg

Hats.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on what the thin lines can be in the bottom shot?

Both of these are amazing!!!!!:):):):) You should be very proud. As far as the stuff happening in the second shot; just take that as magic. I think it really adds to the shot.:tup:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Ive heard the production of the D40x has stopped. Does that affect my chances of getting one?

It probably means Nikon has or will be replacing this model. It also means that there will be a small price drop.

I believe the D60 was the upgrade of this model, however after looking at reviews that compare the two models, the D40X produces better image quality.

As a first time DSLR buyer be sure that when you make a purchase that you are getting the "kit" version and not just the camera body. Otherwise you will need to purchase a lens separately. There is usually a $100 price difference.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
A couple of mine from yesterday:
[SCREENSHOT]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2856557996_f2c0f2d6e6_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2856557610_8efc5ebfcc_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Ladybower Dam in the Peak District:
[SCREENSHOT]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2792815327_0b49041b42_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/2792864019_a7f1559ccd_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Sheffield Cemetery. Nothing great, but here's a few. :eek:

Nice shots man. Try processing them Im sure theyll give some great results :tup:

@ 007MIKE

Ill keep that in mind for sure. Thanks a lot man :)

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
BBA, thanks heaps for the kind comments. :)

WaitForTheRain, I have a film camera but scarcely use it - when I do though, I'm amazed by the results! It might be that I'm paying more attention to the setup and the location when shooting with film, but compared to digital it's in a whole different league. You'd have to spend time by the computer, to get your digital work looking as good.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I don't edit any of my digital photo's at all, as I think that people just overedit their photo's to the point where it becomes digital art rather than photography

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Couple of photos made while making myself familiar to my new camera
[screenshot]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2122/img0059lm5.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1571/img0076wb9.jpg[/screenshot]

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
My main concerns were that my university frequently do checks on the net to see if your work is your own, and so I'm always thinking that they'd come across an unwatermarked photo and despite having the originals etc. they may think I stole it from someone else.

I wouldn't worry, most photos on the net are very low res, so as long as you've got the original full size file with the EXIF then there'll be no doubt it's yours.

Lovely b&w work by the way...nicely composed and a good conversion.

Ive decided to get a Nikon D40 guys. Do you think think its a good SLR choice to begin with?

It's a decent camera, and you're right that the D40X has been discontinued..it's been replaced by the D60. Don't forget that the D40 only focuses with AF-S lenses..so it won't work with older Nikon lenses. This shouldn't be a problem though, all new Nikon glass is AF-S and there's a large range of lenses to choose from.
What BBA says is true though....you'll be better off with a D80...it has better handling and features.
Now the D90 has been released, prices of D80s should tumble as retailers clear out their stock...although Nikon's site is still showing the D80 as a current model. (I'm selling mine, along with a Nikkor 18-200VR and Sigma 10-20 if you're interested ;-) )

Anyone here do film based photography, or are you all into digital?

I regularly shoot with a Nikon FE2....It's my carry-around-all-the-time camera because it's so light.

Anyways, here are a few shots of mine from last year...I was having a go at that Hasselblad square black and white look.
The second shot down looks like the horizon is off, but it's not. The bridge is leaning away from the edge of the frame because of the distortion caused by the 10mm wide angle lens.

longexposureatcomportaah5.jpg

longexposureincacilhastt5.jpg

guinchorockshc8.jpg

Deviant Art and website

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
I'm ill. The next few photos, I think, convey that sunken feeling I had. :( Was going for a Terry Richardson look generally, with some of my 'own' style slapped on in the latter shots.

Terryrichardsonlike4.jpg

TerryRichardsonlike1.jpg

Terryrichardsonlike3.jpg

Terryrichardsonlike2.jpg

And two very different tomato compositions - one's a plain old 'commercial' image while the other, some artistic junk. :p

Tomatoes.jpg

Tomato2.jpg