Official Site/Forum Issues Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Thats just bashing, as the name of this thread clearly says Official Site/Forum Issues Thread which is made sticky and is on top of everything and i noticed the last post was made today also reporting a similar issue.

Secondary, the first reaction to me was clearly one that pointed theres something wrong with the forums, and only in the second reaction it was clear a change had been made. So after reporting an issue i reacted on what was written in the second post and not to go start searching on the forums to look for another thread to go post answers elsewhere.

Third, i am fucked up ill beyond believe and the only thing i did was, i noticed there is something broken on the forums and decided to report it, as i support these forums from my end as good as i possibly can. And since i am ill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year, and need to go to the emergency room on montly bases, i have better things to do than reading every thread made on these forums.

Third addon, And if you ever read post made in the Unreal and UT section than you would have known my condition isnt great. A fast calculation i spend over 35000 hours on Unreal and UT(which i dont even play) on my websites, posts, and mainly creating the S3TC textures for mentioned games.

cool story bro?

My point was simply, you did not notice the news post, and that furthers the point I was making by whatever small amount. Also, I'm helping you by pointing it out, you can make your suggestions and discussion where everyone else is discussing the same thing. ;)

Fourth,

The existence already is what i pointed out, which is aside that people do post newly found materials, the site is also used to track down info from the past. And that does not neccesary mean that a post is being made. Threads are also being read without posting and thereby serving an important purpose that goes beyond posting. Which in turn means that info can be posted elsewhere.

Regardless how you put it, or for what reasons you do it. If the forums are merged than any chance of decent use will become history.

People can still read and find stuff just as easily in the other system.

Fifth, My sites draw 500 gig per month and this is going on for years and years. People complain abot the lack of players in the servers for both Unreal and UT. Still, the downloads point theres still quite a bunch of players, and maybe invisible, but they are still there. If you only count posts your stupid, posts do not actually count what is being read.

Sixth, there is a whole group of people that still work on the games Unreal and UT. Effectivelly the team for Unreal working on patch 227 as well as me providing the S3TC textures is an efford to renew that game to nowadays standards. Its by far the largest project in the world. And if i live long enough and able to finish the project we will try get Unreal and UT on the map in cooperation with the largest game magazines in the world and GOG and Steam who will go provide the bandwidth(which is roughly estimated by me to 350 petabyte per month after release). Ruining one of the important forums for those games will also partially ruin those plans. So the least i am not amused.

And if you like to scream, that is something i can do as well: ITS NOT ABOUT THE F******* MONEY, ITS ABOUT THE GAMES, WHICH IS WHAT THIS SITE DEALS WITH, OLD OR NOT.

Seventh,

What are you talking about, my personal thread in UT has 23 pages but has 64420 views. That thread started 3 years ago which means it has an averidge read of 412 readers per week or 58 readers a day.

While the tread you talk about started a couple a weeks earlyer as mine and has a staggering 62 pages but only 32677 views. And while your thread entire StarCraftII covers, my thread is just one thread next to tons of others.

It wouldn't ruin any such plans, it would only further them. If your post was at the top of the games section then it would get even more views and discussion that than, maybe even twice as much. :D

So what's the problem again?

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Well my site does draw 500 gig a month, why would BeyondUnreal go down with such a host? And in that respect, what you might forget to concider is this. You can always rent a site like that for a year, and move certain stuff to to it, just to see how long it will held up. I mean its that much cheap that you could do that experiment.

And the other thing to concider is, while they are cheap it does not mean they dont run serious business. At the end, the larger a host becomes, the cheaper they can work and offer cheap hosting without loosing quality. And as i said, the hosting is that cheap you can take several accounts and spread the risk per game.

In reality that is doable. And of course i dont know any specifics from this site but the main problem with shared hosting is the limited CPU use where they keep a strict finger on.

The TOS from almost any host is to cover their asses in case they want to boot a client. And for the most part you can set TOS aside except indeed CPU use. But as said, its that much cheap you can simply test it seriusly for a year.

Their is more to running/hosting a site than bandwidth/storage as I am sure you remember not too long ago when you used to run scripts to calculate file names/sizes/dates that put a huge strain on the server your site(s) were hosted on and you had to do something about it. :eek:

Not trying to attack you, but as the admins here have said; not everyone can host sites on shared hosting.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
well when i active dynamic light on my UT99 its runs ok only for a while.. after 2 min or less appears this critical error msg.. doesnt matter map or model i use... Help me please..
DynamicLError.jpg

:violin:
I think you'll have better luck posting this on the UT board. This one is just for site issues.

Diehard

Their is more to running/hosting a site than bandwidth/storage as I am sure you remember not too long ago when you used to run scripts to calculate file names/sizes/dates that put a huge strain on the server your site(s) were hosted on and you had to do something about it. :eek:

Not trying to attack you, but as the admins here have said; not everyone can host sites on shared hosting.

Bit late, but that still deserved an answer.

You are correct on that, it was a big issue at that time. I had to take that script ofline due to the stress on the servers CPU it took. And i am far from a website maintenance expert, so i can only gues what happened.

Fact is we both started using that script and on your site it was running just fine. On my site i noticed it took ages till the website pulled the list of files, while yours it happened in a blink of an eye. My website was running php4 and also has the possibility to switch to php5. Not being a professional i never dared to switch to php5 because i could not oversee the effects it might have.

The script i used was the old version for php4, while yours is version 5. I have no idea, as said i dont know too much about it, but that might have been the reason.

The reason i thought it was the old version rather than the website, is because the CPU is not capped. Dispite its not allowed to exceed a certain limit its not being capped, and i asume the CPU would have been able to simply run it flawless, unless the old version is buggy on the reasources it eats. As said, all theoretical, and i cant claim its not because of low cost host.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Haha, that is awesome. It happened because we lost a big chunk of forum data between 2006 and 2008.