FPS problems, please help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ctrlaltdelete

Sep 16, 2000
Visit site
OK first my sys specs:
900 mhz athlon t-bird
Nvidia TNT 2 Ultra
128 mb 100mhz ram
7200 rpm hard drive
Yamaha X-Wave sound card
Windows ME

Now with this, I was expecting to be able to play UT with perfect 30+ fps no matter what. However, when lots of people are on the screen my fps will dip as low as 8 or 9. I don't know what to do. I've made sure all my drivers are updated: I'm using Nvidia's detonator3 driver and directx8. Also, even lowering detail and resolution and unchecking dynamic lighting didn't help. Besides with my system I should be able to run the game with max effects on. Please help me here!

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
You dont say what resolution and color depth your playing at.

I would say with your system to get better than 30FPS average you would have to play at 800x600 or lower, 16 bit with dynamic lighting off.

Your TNT2U is almost 4 generations old and is holding your system back from really performing. You might consider getting a Geforce2 soon, they are available online for about $160 and they will really make you system fly.

Also, I have heard that the TNT cards work better with older drivers like the 5.33 detonator 2, I dont know if its because there are features in the new drivers that the TNT doesnt use or what but try an older driver and see if that helps.

Longshot KoJ

Jan 22, 2001
pub36.ezboard.com
hey guys, long time reader, first time poster :)

it seems to me here that the problem is via drivers, go and download the via 4 in 1's from http://www.via.com and install them, i bet that cranks the performance right up :)

btw its best to do a OS reinstall before doing this :)

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
I see nowhere in his post that he has a Via motherboard. I mean its a 50/50 shot I guess but its not going to make that much difference unless he has the 4.18 drivers.

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
"btw via drivers are up to 4.28 now"

Yea, I am using them but What I meant was that the only driver update that peformed really bad was the 4.18. His TNT is just limited in what it can do even with a 900 Tbird.

Longshot KoJ

Jan 22, 2001
pub36.ezboard.com
i disagree...i have an athlon tbird 1 gig and use a geforce 2 mx...but i have a nvidia TNT2 tvr model and it gives me way better performance than what hes getting...would still like to know what mobo he has :)