2010: The Year of The Corporations?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

grapist

Aug 26, 2010
Until the economy turns around this will constantly happen. Corporations ALWAYS cut costs, even in the most important departments (safety) of their business. This, combined with using their right hands to jack off politicians, leads to these exact problems.

I can't honestly understand being Republican or Democrat anymore. The system is so painfully broken with no one willing to change or speak out. The Democrats can't even celebrate a minor success while the Republicans seem to press the placebo button for a food pellet.

Flying spaghetti monster bless America.

Because America controls Hungary now.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Felt like posting this. :D

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh1bR7P3ZE[/M]

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
This is typical BBA bull****. Blaming some right-wing conspiracy that the bottom line trumps all. Fact is that many small companies worldwide cannot always afford to keep their businesses afloat due to overwhelming costs directly related to government regulation. While I cannot speak for foreign businesses, I do know many small businesses here in the States wrestle with OSHA requirement all the time, and that it is a struggle to maintain compliance and be able stay in business, much less make a profit.

Large corporations tend to see a breakdown in communications up and down the chain-of-command, which may lead to direct violation of safety regulations. While these direct violations are serious business (no pun intended) they rarely come to be due to malicious intent.

I can only imagine that in other countries that may or may not have strict safety standards or proper enforcement of those standards, the possibility of such a tragedy is greatly increased. It usually has nothing to do with political ideology.

Speaking of BP, as Pine did, it is rather ironic that the top recipients of BP political contributions over the last 20 years has been members of the Democratic Party. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Fact is that many small companies worldwide cannot always afford to keep their businesses afloat due to overwhelming costs directly related to government regulation.
And now w/ Obamacare we'll be seeing even more jobs getting exported to China. It's already starting to happen.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with America? Considering it DIDN'T HAPPEN in America? Just a thought.
It's the evil neocons everywhere!

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Yeah, because other countries don't have parties and people that are conservative. I am sure nothing will come out about inspections being ignored etc. :rolleyes:

Regardless of any oversight or lack thereof, an expert could probably take one look at the containment system and see whether it was built to last or not. The question is whether they knew how much it sucked and were just hoping something bad wouldn't happen, or if it was just pure ignorance. Neither is really an acceptable excuse though when you've got a gigantic lake of toxic sludge sitting right next to a town and a river. My point is that looking at this disaster as a left vs right thing doesn't make any sense if you don't know the specific circumstances and who was involved. Other countries' social and political strata do not conform exactly to the American model; this is a mistake that a lot of Americans seem to make.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
This is typical BBA bull****. Blaming some right-wing conspiracy that the bottom line trumps all. Fact is that many small companies worldwide cannot always afford to keep their businesses afloat due to overwhelming costs directly related to government regulation. While I cannot speak for foreign businesses, I do know many small businesses here in the States wrestle with OSHA requirement all the time, and that it is a struggle to maintain compliance and be able stay in business, much less make a profit.

Seriously?

Nobody should be making ponds full of toxic sludge capable of destroying a town and a river if their company doesn't have the technical and/or financial resources to comply with regulations and safeguard it properly. That's what government regulations are for. I would not be surprised if the long-term environmental damage caused by this disaster is more than this company could possibly afford to fix... you're saying that an increased burden of regulations that probably would have prevented it would have been WORSE for them? Not even to mention the innocent victims of the disaster. When you deal with projects this dangerous, the potential cost of a disaster far outweigh the immediate costs of oversight and prevention.

To compare to the BP disaster again, they obviously would have saved themselves a lot of money by making the upgrades that proper government oversight would have required. The problem is that people and corporations tend to be very shortsighted when it comes to safety vs profit. This has been abundantly true in the past and obviously still is. THAT is why government oversight and regulation are good for all parties involved, except greedy corporate executives and their political stooges. Let me reiterate though that I do not mean that in an "American right vs left" sense at all.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Seriously?

Nobody should be making ponds full of toxic sludge capable of destroying a town and a river if their company doesn't have the technical and/or financial resources to comply with regulations and safeguard it properly.
So if I run a business and all of a sudden a new flock of regulations comes along that I can't afford to comply with I should what, Close my doors? Seem pretty reasonable. :rolleyes:

I would not be surprised if the long-term environmental damage caused by this disaster is more than this company could possibly afford to fix... you're saying that an increased burden of regulations that probably would have prevented it would have been WORSE for them?

He is saying the regulations cost the business more than they can afford. Yes, the clean up if something bad happens costs more, but that is hardly the point.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Seriously?

Nobody should be making ponds full of toxic sludge capable of destroying a town and a river if their company doesn't have the technical and/or financial resources to comply with regulations and safeguard it properly. That's what government regulations are for. I would not be surprised if the long-term environmental damage caused by this disaster is more than this company could possibly afford to fix... you're saying that an increased burden of regulations that probably would have prevented it would have been WORSE for them? Not even to mention the innocent victims of the disaster. When you deal with projects this dangerous, the potential cost of a disaster far outweigh the immediate costs of oversight and prevention.

To compare to the BP disaster again, they obviously would have saved themselves a lot of money by making the upgrades that proper government oversight would have required. The problem is that people and corporations tend to be very shortsighted when it comes to safety vs profit. This has been abundantly true in the past and obviously still is. THAT is why government oversight and regulation are good for all parties involved, except greedy corporate executives and their political stooges. Let me reiterate though that I do not mean that in an "American right vs left" sense at all.

Without knowing all the information concerning this incident, any conclusions will be ones that are jumped into. You do not know if the company in question met Hungarian regulations or not.

Your comment about people and corporations being shortsighted when it comes to safety versus profit is too generalized, as any decision made in business is a risk. Risk is generally mitigated to an acceptable level in regard to costs versus safety. Depending on government regulations, certain levels of safety are not negotiable, but in the case of Deepwater Horizon, the US Government signed off on the safety protocols and equipment. The point I am making is that while government regulations can at times be ridiculously intrusive and expensive, there are other times where government regulations and oversight fail.

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Yeah, because other countries don't have parties and people that are conservative. I am sure nothing will come out about inspections being ignored etc. :rolleyes:

It was inspected.

"Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban acknowledged that authorities were caught off guard by the disaster, telling reporters the alumina plant and reservoir had been inspected two weeks earlier and no irregularities had been found."

And to be honest. Who gives a ****.
All the people will get new homes that are red toxic sludge proof.
As for the people that died. Well that's sad. Butt they were going to die anyway. Now their family's get big bucks.
They can go out and buy new chickens.....In a bucket :D

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
"Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban acknowledged that authorities were caught off guard by the disaster, telling reporters the alumina plant and reservoir had been inspected two weeks earlier and no irregularities had been found."
I bet the Prime Minister has stock in the company!

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Pretty defensive for someone who "had nothing to do with it"

What? Sorry if I was offended by the idea that if a company can't afford new rules thought up yesterday they shouldn't be in business. Maybe I find something more important than the rules thought up yesterday that didn't even begin to take into account there cost to enact.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
BBA is right guys. We should just abandon all technology and live in the woods to ensure that such a tragedy can never occur again.

gaysvote.png

Is that what I said? Nope, read again please.

chris_hansen.jpg

Last edited: