Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
did you ever read the book?

Is it really any better than the movie? For someone who thought the movie wasn't very good, mind you. I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus. Not sure what Anus saw in the movie that made it that great. The guy being an idiot going off with no experience or training and killing himself doesn't help.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I am suprised as to just how accurate the movie is to the actual events.
word.

I had to read the book in high school.
but of all the books I've ever been forced to read for any school work, in 16 years of doing so, Into the Wild is probably one of my top 3 favorites. Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, and Krakauer's.

it's like a small-scale epic, or a personal odyssey. except knowing that it was true made it 1000 times better than if it had been the exact same story but fiction.
Is it really any better than the movie?
yes.
although the movie is pretty great in its own right; as adaptations go.
The guy being an idiot going off with no experience or training and killing himself doesn't help.
nah, it's not like that.

sure it was kind of silly of this kid to do what he did, but the spirit of the journey and the character study is truly compelling. if you've read the book, you'd know that this kid actually had a pretty good plan in mind and was more or less prepared for his little undertaking.
he was doomed by mother nature's folly, something that he could only have seen coming had he known a lot more about the area he was traveling in.

but it awakens a feeling and an emotion that every person must have at one time in their life. it's a very cool trip, something that we all wish we could sometimes; cut the ties to our responsibilities and petty attachments to the creature comforts of the 21st century, set out on our own and explore our limits, get in touch with a state of mind that 99% of humans today have forgotten. get away from ringing phones, computer screens, ATM's, hell get away from money and people and material crap.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
if you've read the book, you'd know that this kid actually had a pretty good plan in mind and was more or less prepared for his little undertaking.
he was doomed by mother nature's folly, something that he could only have seen coming had he known a lot more about the area he was traveling in.
Well there have been studies into how everything went down and there were a bunch of simple things that he overlooked that could have saved his life. For example, it's pretty common knowledge, at least as survival training goes, that you store that meat by drying it in the sun. He let all of it go to waste when it rotted. Also, I don't really remember how the movie went, but he got poisoned toward the end by eating some kind of plant, right? Well apparently knowing the difference between those two similar plants was basic training too iirc.

but it awakens a feeling and an emotion that every person must have at one time in their life. it's a very cool trip, something that we all wish we could sometimes; cut the ties to our responsibilities and petty attachments to the creature comforts of the 21st century, set out on our own and explore our limits, get in touch with a state of mind that 99% of humans today have forgotten. get away from ringing phones, computer screens, ATM's, hell get away from money and people and material crap.

Yeah, I wish I could do the same, but keep the computer screens part. :lol: It did tickle my adventurous side, I won't lie, but the guy was really unprepared.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
sure it was kind of silly of this kid to do what he did, but the spirit of the journey and the character study is truly compelling. if you've read the book, you'd know that this kid actually had a pretty good plan in mind and was more or less prepared for his little undertaking.

It's adorable that you think this way. The kid was an idiot, flat out. He had a good plan in mind, but still, despite his hitchhiking travels, was inexperienced and not very knowledgeable about what he was doing. If he had gone for a month and died, it would have been a fluke, but as it was, it was surprising he lasted as long as he did. And is it really so much to ask to know about the area you're trying to live off the land in?

So this whole task is because he's created this idea that he has to get away and that only nature and separation can bring "true" knowledge. And while he comes to some realization later that this is the stupidest thing ever, there is never, really, the awareness that modern life isn't really that much different from the more "natural" life, only the details have changed, really, and the distractions are different. There are laid back people who live with technology and laid back people who live in nature and stressed as hell people with technology and stressed as hell people who live off of nature. The separation of the two as binary opposites is an understandable, but stupid, idea. I'm going to quote a section from Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities, a painfully odd book that is glorious and smart.
In Maurilia, the traveler is invited to visit the city and, at the same time, to examine some old post cards that show it as it used to be: the same identical square with a hen in the place of the bus station, a bandstand in the place of the overpass, two young ladies with white parasols in the place of the munitions factory. If the traveler does not wish to disappoint the inhabitants, he must praise the postcard city and prefer it to the present one, though he must be careful to contain his regret at the changes within definite limits: admitting that the magnificence and prosperity of the metropolis Maurilia when compared to the old, provincial Maurilia, cannot compensate for a certain lost grace, which, however, can be appreciated only now in the old post cards, whereas before, when that provincial Maurilia was before one's eyes, one saw absolutely nothing graceful and would see it even less today, if Maurilia had remained unchanged; and in any case the metropolis has the added attraction that, through what it has become, one can look back with nostalgia at what it was.

The idea here being that the look back at what was is the pastime of the foolish because what was never was, but is only an imaginary nostalgia and what is is not worse, but is only the perception that the past must have been better and therefore the present must be worse. It is this logic and knowledge that is never gained by the poor, ill-fated kid who merely pieces together that solitary living is lonely and doesn't quite make it to the idea that the stuff he grew to so hate was just stuff and that it is people who matter most and there are people that matter to you and people that don't matter to you and there are people that hurt you and people who help you and all of the things he was "escaping" were really just incidental to the idea. The idea being the important thing.

Oh crap, this is movies watched and I'm getting all annoyed about pseudo philosophy in people who get themselves killed doing stupid things.

Rewatched Iron Man 9/10 The plot holes become pretty apparent (Jeff Bridges kills tony...why? He creates weapons, sells them and doesn't object until AFTER he's been killed), but it is nevertheless fun, funny, smartly crafted and a great, great ride.

Taxi Driver
7/10 I'm ashamed to admit that I had never seen this before. There were so many great plot elements that were fantastic, the creation of a new New York and a new American character and the fractured sense of self that comes out of that and the need to control that in some way--manifest variously through the constant working, the buying of guns, working out, then using the guns. Unfortunately, this idea of controlling our surroundings and our fractured world is an insane one, as we cannot truly, and this pushes Travis over the edge and then, hilariously, he's billed as a hero by this desperate, silly system. All that was golden. What was annoying is the primitive cinematography and the glacial pacing and the sound. Look, I know it's frowned upon to criticize great ideas, but I'm a form+content person myself.

~Jason

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Also, I don't really remember how the movie went, but he got poisoned toward the end by eating some kind of plant, right? Well apparently knowing the difference between those two similar plants was basic training too iirc.
I've read various articles on the topic and found a variety of reasons for his exact cause of death. some saying it was the poison and others that it was more about starvation; the poison having just slowed him down.
Yeah, I wish I could do the same, It did tickle my adventurous side, I won't lie

It's adorable that you think this way. The kid was an idiot, flat out.

blah blah blah blah blah

Oh crap, this is movies watched and I'm getting all annoyed about pseudo philosophy in people who get themselves killed doing stupid things.
ok yeah, listen to yourself :p
you're reading into this a little too far.

my only point was about the spirit of adventure, the exploration and the discovery in solitude. it's a cool story regardless of the outcome and the fact that the kid wasn't an expert. he almost made it, you know, despite overlooking some fundamentals.

I'm not in any way praising him like what he did was some achievement. but the book is a good read and thought provoking enough to keep it above average.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
ok yeah, listen to yourself :p
you're reading into this a little too far.

I completely am. It's a fun read and the movie was gorgeous, but I get overly annoyed when the moral is nature is the best and you need to get away from the poisonous city (or, likewise, sci-fi movies whose moral is we have overstepped our bounds and should not have meddled). I think it's a silly, overwrought, ridiculous and harmful way of thinking. The book glorifies the kid too much, even though he was interesting, and I think the fact that it was nonfiction keeps people, a little bit from realizing that it was a terrible idea. I'll stop talking now.

~Jason

Is it really any better than the movie? For someone who thought the movie wasn't very good, mind you. I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus. Not sure what Anus saw in the movie that made it that great. The guy being an idiot going off with no experience or training and killing himself doesn't help.

In my opinion "the book" is almost always better than "the movie" (two big exceptions, if you ask me, are The Godfather and Fight Club). There are just some aspects of a story that you can't fit in two hours of running time. For example, something a character does in a movie adaptation might seem entirely stupid in context of a film as compared to what often has better reasonings behind it as dictated on paper, although this is only in regards to "clean" book/film crossovers...and I haven't seen the film in question because I hate the star ;).

Still, I've seen movies with crappy book origins and vice versa, so you never know what you're missing if you discard one version due to dislike of the other. So it pays to give the book a shot if you don't like the movie and otherwise, cus you never know. Especially if the version you weren't so happy with does include concepts that were at least somewhat fascinating.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Up-7.5/10

Stunning animation from Pixar (again). These guys certainly know how to to this stuff well. A great little story full of whimsy and a lot of other emotion. As usual Pixar live up to their previously high standards.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I think it's a silly, overwrought, ridiculous and harmful way of thinking.
and I think it's silly and ridiculous to think that getting away from all the chaos is a "harmful way of thinking."

because that couldn't be further from the truth.
so this kid was a little hasty and bit the bullet for it, oh well.
that doesn't make the idea of getting back in touch with nature and shutting out the distractions of modern society a bad thing.

I would go as far as to say that we need more people who think like that.
the only difference is that we want people to be better prepared when they go on their little camping trip.
I think the fact that it was nonfiction keeps people, a little bit from realizing that it was a terrible idea.
you're wrong.

no one is ignoring the fact that it was dumb for him to go into this adventure under-prepared. the reason the book has become such a staple is because of those very lessons. however, you cannot throw out baby with bathwater.

people enjoy the book for the adventure.
it has nothing to do with glorifying less-than-stellar decisions on the part of the kid. now take your own advice and shut up about it :p it's a good book.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Batman Begins - 9/10, Yeah I've seen it before. Anyhow, unlike The Dark Knight this is actually Bale's movie whereas The Dark Knight is Ledger's movie.

I gotta say though, Liam Neeson is awesome but the character he's playing isn't crazy enough to get peoples attention.

Great dialogue etc. Only thing I can complain about is casting Katie Holmes as Rachel, she's good looking sure but the acting... not so much. It's sad that The Dark Knight gets so much recognition when Batman Begins gets practically none.

None the less, looking forward to the third installment and Inception (Christopher Nolan + Excellent actors = win)

Gangs of New York - 7/10, I didn't find the story very interesting but Daniel Day-Lewis really nailed his role.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Ghost Ship- 5.5/10

Pretty average. Story just doesn't hang together that well. Soundtrack music is interesting in places and then questionable as far as choice of style of music in other places.

The Hurt Locker - 9/10

Really dug this one. Been a while since I watched a movie with real suspense in it, the last one of this caliber being The Dark Knight. It's similar in the sense that every major sequence in the film plays like a powder keg (literally), where you're on the edge of your seat waiting for the unthinkable to occur. There's no tricks or gimmicks to this. Sure it's all done documentary-style (popular phrase nowadays), but done so in a way that isn't exploitative...where the story is told in long shots with scant editing between them, removing any sense that this is a true "actioner". I never had any reason to think any character was safe, and like Dark Knight there is a real feeling that anyone can die from one sequence to the next...even if the logical part of my brain was trying to tell me otherwise. Only thing else from this past year I can think of that came close to this was the first half of District 9, where there's really no way to tell where the movie is going...even though the genre is familiar territory. I ****ing love movies like this.

Strangely enough, I can't even call it a war movie. Because it isn't really. That's probably because movies that are considered "war films" come with the standard kind of "war film themes". The Hurt Locker does not have this though, and seems uninterested in exploring war beyond the point where it involves the main characters. Yes...there's a theme in there beyond the suspense alright, and if it's anything than it's the idea that some men can typically only do one thing well.

Thrallala said:
Batman Begins - 9/10, Yeah I've seen it before. Anyhow, unlike The Dark Knight this is actually Bale's movie whereas The Dark Knight is Ledger's movie.

I gotta say though, Liam Neeson is awesome but the character he's playing isn't crazy enough to get peoples attention.

Great dialogue etc. Only thing I can complain about is casting Katie Holmes as Rachel, she's good looking sure but the acting... not so much. It's sad that The Dark Knight gets so much recognition when Batman Begins gets practically none.

It's certainly true that Batman Begins is the only Batman movie that is entirely devoted to the character. Kinda sad when you think about it. The four that came before were clearly more interested in the villains, and to an extent the same could be said about The Dark Knight (until you actually examine the movie's running time; the amount of screen time the Joker actually receives is quite low. He just stood out because so much was riding on the movie after Ledger's death, added to the fact that the last time we saw Joker on then big screen was 1989).

I do seem to remember Batman Begins being a quieter release than the other movies (even the bad Joel Schumacher ones), and made a note of it at the time (2005, right?) when I saw it. I think it had more to do with the fact that it was not advertised as much as other Batman movies and, as a reboot in a time when reboots had not yet totally caught back on as a sure thing in Hollywood, didn't have the backing it should have. It was kinda like everyone was nervous about promoting it too much after Batman & Robin, and the fact that Nolan was not necessarily a big name (and neither were any of the actors; great actors, all of them, but besides Neeson, who was popular because of Star Wars, the biggest names were probably Oldman, Freeman and Caine). Sort of like a big experiment for the studio. See if they could catch lightning twice. Obviously people did love it though, since the draw for Dark Knight was so huge. Dead actors can only be counted on for so much.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Batman Begins was great until we reached the villain's evil plot. The idea of microwaving the sewer system just induced a fit of the giggles and ruined the atmosphere.

A better plot (in all senses of the word) could have made it a really great movie. As it was, it languishes at very good (no mean feat but actually somewhat disappointing).