Doom 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Predcaliber, Don't be rude to Balton and BoBo, u kinda asked for it.

And u are contradicting yourself:
If it was up to me, I wouldn spend 50% of the time developing a new engine, but just to improve the engine a bit more, and spend the rest of the time makeing maps/weapons/playability better.
Thats what they did with UT and still u don't like it? And u also don't like them developing new engines? U should stop playing games :p

Every new game costs about 50 Euro's (I recently bought Soldiers Heroes of ww2 for 45,=) In my opinion prices like that are ok. Far Cry for example was developed by quite a big team, spending a couple of years on it. They need to make some money once their product hits the market. Selling their top product for a budget price isn't gonna make that money. Neither will releasing their top product in a period when gamers in general won't buy (i.e. Summertime). Sure they wait a bit then, nothing wrong with that, it's called Marketing.

|__>PrEdC/\LiBeR<__| bashed his head on the keyboard to say:Go **** your mama :B

Oh what's this, a grand champion of the internet gracing us with his e-presence? Oh damn, looks like we're in for it now my fellow internet goers!
No but they will know that when games like farcry comes out they aren't getting that much selling records, so they decide to wait a bit longer.
Game sales are not strictly related to OMG DOODS IT USES THE PIXEL SHADER 3 TECH HURRRR MUST BUY. Try again champ.
no
ut2k3 is absolutly one of the greatest dissapointments of my life.
I'm sure epic gives a HUGE heaping pile of chunky placenta over what you, a single person thinks. Not to say Epic isn't a decent company, mind you.
and today the games with their great engines like farcy looks cool, but they are absolutly not worth $50.

Again, graphics do not make a game, they are merely part of it.
its of course my opinion, but I think there are much more older games that deserve those $50 way more than those games. :(
It is my opinion that you need to do and realize the following:

A) Learn to spell and use correct grammar.
B) Realize the world isn't going to suck you off just because you think it should.
C) Graduate from the third grade and pick up the new text of insults.
D) Learn that spelling your name with slashes and brackets and finger paintings done with your own feces will never make you cool, despite how much you hope it will.
E) Consume vast amounts of glass. Darwin is waiting, chief.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
BoboThePenguin said:
Yep, they're releasing a demo :)

Hmmm no news about it here:

http://www.doom3.com/

You'd expect it though.

I've seen someone mention another big site for doom3 news, I'll edit this post.

Which site did you get the demo news anyway?

Checked newdoom, nothing yet.

Ok, found something here:
http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/faq/#engine

Q3test was great! Any chance of a DOOM test?
Apparently there will be no test before launch. id Software has opted to not have one this time around.

No idea when the previous update was.

Last edited:

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
i think the game is worth $50. The brains needed for the type of programming algorithms to achieve visuals & audio alone speak for themselves. Unless you are a programmer and have intimate specialization in that specific area, you'd have no HL2 or D3. Guys like that don't come cheap in the first place. Saying that a game like D3 isn't worth $50 shows lack of appreciation on the sheer magnitude of smarts it takes to apply science, math, programming, and a whole slew of other things (you ever tried to write up drivers that go across multiple OS platforms and HW configs?).

You may yourself not want to shell out that $$ for the game, but it is worth that much for the technology (gameplay aside).

Last edited:

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
Todd Hollenshead said:
7-14-2004 10:19 PM CDT

A few bottles of champagne later (so excuse the typos)....

First of all, thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory notes on the GOLD announcement. I speak for
everyone at id when I say I wish I could respond to everyone personally, but hopefully this general note
can convey how much we sincerely appreciate the sentiment from everyone out there waiting for the game.

A few people have reminded me of some details omitted from my initial update:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be
available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.
More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release
the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's
done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Demo: our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo. I
don't have any information to share regarding any specific content, but I don't believe that we have
ever disappointed in that regard in the past. We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this
probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on U.S. store shelves.

Last, but not least, the id Store: we will have copies of DOOM 3 available, but only after we get them.
I'm sure that some of the hardcore game retailers will get them even before we do. Check our website for
updates on this. We certainly appreciate everyone who has helped to make the id Store a huge success this
year. By the way, more DOOM 3 T-Shirts just arrived, so those popular items are back in stock and will be
available this week.

I understand that people have lots and lots of questions. We're working on pulling together some form of
an official FAQ, but even though we're done we still have several responsibilities that are urgent as the
game heads for retail. Please bear with us on this.

I know I owe you those preparation tips, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

The latest .plan update. So to sum up: Linux almost immediately after release (OS X much later), a demo after the full release, and an faq/tip list (hopefully regarding hardware) tomorrow(?).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Unreal 1 took almost 5 years to develop. Unreal Tournament took another year and a half. In effect, since Unreal 1 is 98.5% of UT's codebaase, you could say that Unreal Tournament was 6 and a half years in the making.

My reference to HL2 has to do with rlease dates and nothing more.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
whoo beeb, the man with the balls ah? making fun of peepz grammar

who you think you are? you are all proud of him?

if you want to have a discussion, than have one, and dont make bull**** out of it, specialy you beerbaron.

you peepz say that I dont have arguments, the most things ive heard so far from him are insults too me and stuff about my grammer.

wel before you trying to instult me agian, let me explain what other peepz just said, a reply like beeb did wasnt absolutly necessary too me, and a bit short-sighted I think.

Balton said:
please do mankind a favour and go for the darwin award
You said I dindt had an argument, how about this one then?

_Zd_Bee_ said:
Predcaliber, Don't be rude to Balton and BoBo, u kinda asked for it.

Oh what makes you think that?
and besides, I meant it sarcasticly with the emoticon.

And u are contradicting yourself:

Thats what they did with UT and still u don't like it? And u also don't like them developing new engines? U should stop playing games :p

UT is absolutly no new engine compare the Unreal engine.
Cmon, Its an improved unreal engine.
Unreal: 1998
UT:1999

UT2k3 is an whole other chapter with a complete new engine, wich has nothing to do with the original UT.

Every new game costs about 50 Euro's (I recently bought Soldiers Heroes of ww2 for 45,=) In my opinion prices like that are ok. Far Cry for example was developed by quite a big team, spending a couple of years on it. They need to make some money once their product hits the market. Selling their top product for a budget price isn't gonna make that money. Neither will releasing their top product in a period when gamers in general won't buy (i.e. Summertime). Sure they wait a bit then, nothing wrong with that, it's called Marketing.

like I said Its what I think,not a fact but new games like 4 xample agian Farcy, you play it once, maby twice and than you are finished.

are you sure you want to spend your $50 at it?
Well I wouldnt, but thats what I think :)

beerbaron said:
Oh what's this, a grand champion of the internet gracing us with his e-presence? Oh damn, looks like we're in for it now my fellow internet goers!

bull****, youre just saying some stupid stupid stuff

Game sales are not strictly related to OMG DOODS IT USES THE PIXEL SHADER 3 TECH HURRRR MUST BUY. Try again champ.

yeah thats why most new games have a great engine but are way too short or dont offer really much.

I'm sure epic gives a HUGE heaping pile of chunky placenta over what you, a single person thinks. Not to say Epic isn't a decent company, mind you.

you are a ut2k4 player arent you?

Again, graphics do not make a game, they are merely part of it.

yes and thats why I think when teams are building on new engines too long their time to improve the other elements will be extrodanary decreased.

A) Learn to spell and use correct grammar.
you dont have to tell me
B) Realize the world isn't going to suck you off just because you think it should.
bull****, makes no sense
C) Graduate from the third grade and pick up the new text of insults.
I was not insulting, except the only line with the emoticon so it was ment sarcasticly, but I am sorry, peepz didint understand that.
I think you are insulting right now.
D) Learn that spelling your name with slashes and brackets and finger paintings done with your own feces will never make you cool, despite how much you hope it will.
1 oh I am sorry, I am not doing things because others dont think its cool
2 the name is in his original state, mind your own business when it comes to my name, cause you dont know a thing about it.
E) Consume vast amounts of glass. Darwin is waiting, chief.

oh now youve hurt my feelings r something

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Pred, one thing you do not want to do around here is insult long standing members of the forum (even if they insult you first). It won't count towards you and will make you look like a troll, you should consider lurking for a few months.

Also, I agree with what you are trying to say about Doom 3 and how it will not have the same effect on the industry as when it was supposed to be released last year.

Id software works like this : carmack spends all his time creating a great looking engine while the rest of the team work on the game. The game content gets a lot more attention than you'd think.

And Duke Nukem Forever is a different game by a different team. Do not compare apples and oranges. And yes I understand that this game too will not have the same impact it should have if it gets released soon after it being 7 years late (I think).

Now, go and rest a while.

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
Doom3 was in development forever, but they never made false promises on release dates. HL2 was in dev since HL, and they are quick to release all sorts of release dates that never come to fruition (games included...where is TF2...a-holes). I still think HL2 will be great, but when they start to go Derek Smart on us is when I lose a little faith.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
|__>PrEdC/\LiBeR<__| said:
Oh what makes you think that?
and besides, I meant it sarcasticly with the emoticon.
Ehm lemme see, You and your contradicting arguements maybe?

UT is absolutly no new engine compare the Unreal engine.
Cmon, Its an improved unreal engine.
Unreal: 1998
UT:1999

UT2k3 is an whole other chapter with a complete new engine, wich has nothing to do with the original UT.
Really? Read up on the material and u see it's still the same,but improved engine.

like I said Its what I think,not a fact but new games like 4 xample agian Farcy, you play it once, maby twice and than you are finished.
are you sure you want to spend your $50 at it?
Well I wouldnt, but thats what I think :)
Well what would u spend for it then? and if u don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think the price u are willing to pay for a game depends on your age/income... If you're a 15 year old kid (which I suspect) 50 euro's is alot of money, it still is alot when you're 26 but a bit easier to spend I guess..

bull****, makes no sense
Exactly, so don't act like it.

Oh and really ask for a namechange ;) :p

Last edited: