A couple of questions about UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHateFactory

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
First of all: What are reasonable settings for UT and my system? I'm using a 300mhz K6-2, TNT2,and 64MB of RAM. Games (especially bot games) start out sort of laggy at first, and loading a level takes a while. Loading the game takes even longer due to the opening movie.

So far I'm using 640x480 with 32bit textures and high detail on people and world.

Second: Since I suck at multiplayer games (and UT is no different) I've decided to try and run a server instead of play myself. I got a dedicated going, but nobody joins. I leave it on for hours, nobody plays. I made sure I had maps and such loaded, and it's your average 4v4 CTF with medium sized levels and the single rocket fire mutator so I don't think people were purposely avoiding the game.

The best thing I can't think of is that maybe my router is causing trouble. The port 7777 isn't blocked by the firewall, but our IP actually goes to the router, it assigns our computers and the three computers go through it to the internet. Is this causing the problem?

And yes, I know that having other people use the ADSL line while the server is running makes nightmares. I plan to run the server while nobody's online.

Thank you.

Spaceman

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
First go down to medium detail and that should help a lot. You really don't have enough RAM for high detail. Turn off detail textures. If that does not help then drop down to 16bit color.

Did you make sure that the advertise server box was checked. If it is not then no one will see your server.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
Also I dont think your system would be able to handle 4vs4 that well.

bullet2.gif

If you have any problems with what I just said then I welcome you to click here.

TheHateFactory

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
"Also I dont think your system would be able to handle 4vs4 that well."

Why?

I'll try turning down the detail from high to medium. Where do I turn off detail textures?

I saw another thread that talked about disabled D3D prechache and changing cache size from 4MB to 20.. Should I try either of these?

Fireseal

You don't really have the system to run a server, and only if you have a T1 dsl will people start seeing good enough pings to join. Its good and all that you want to start your own server, but I'm just letting ya know why you may not be getting the amount of traffic you might have thought. Oh, as far as your system goes its your processor and ram that's hurting ya. You should have at least 128megs to run any server, and a higher powered processor like a pII or III always helps.

bullet2.gif

What is the average flight speed of an unladen swallow?

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
i can hold 10 ppl on my listen servers
i gots p2 350 and 64 meg ram
my frame rate goes from 35 to 15-20 thou (ouch)

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Status
Not open for further replies.