UNBIASED Quake 3 vs Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badmojo

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
I've been playing a LOT of both of these games in the past weeks (well, I've only played a lot of Quake 3 in the past day or so, but I've been playing Quake3demotest and Quake3test). For a little background, I've been playing FPS games since Wolf 3D and am one of those people that gets twice as many frags as everyone else or, at worse, ends up in the top 3. In UT, I was ranked second in Assault last week. None of that matters though, because being a "good" player in these games basically only requires good hardware, knowledge of the maps, and reflexes (about in that order). Also, I know there are many better players than I, but the point is... I'm trying to appeal to both the hardcore gamers and the general gaming populace. Here's what I think:

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS - UT is a *much* more polished game than Quake 3. Period. It has all the options -- maps, mutators, mods -- you would ever want in an FPS except Team Fortress. Quake 3's CTF feels unfinished, mainly because you can't tell who has the flags and captures and the like -- they aren't prominently displayed like in UT. UT's CTF, Domination, Assault and other gametypes all have all the proper information displayed onscreen and it's obvious that Epic's spent major time on each of these game modes.

1. DEATHMATCH - This is what matters to people that read these forums. To be absolutely honest, I am addicted to Quake's rocket launcher and railgun. Nothing is as satisfying as getting multiple "excellents" or "impressives" in a row. Also, UT's RL feels very slow and weak compared to Quake's. Come to think of it, I do think the Quake RL is overpowered but who cares... it's a damn fun weapon to play with. UT's secondary attacks are cute and do add an extra dimension to combat in the game, but I personally prefer the fast paced action of Quake. Also, UT's RL is very weird to use after playing Quake for a while because I think the UT rocket's bounding box is much larger than in Quake, so it explodes when you fire near your feet much sooner than in Quake. I still haven't adjusted to this difference so it's a major issue for me. To be fair, UT's gameplay is basically comparable to the Quake series - it's pretty fast, very fun, and has enhancements that make the game more fun for high ping people (like the rocket spread shot, easy-to-aim flak cannon, etc.).

2. TEAMPLAY - UT absolutely kicks in this area... and Quake's teamplay modes feel like an afterthought. Many companies would've packaged Assault, Domination, etc. as separate games and UT has it all in one very nice package. If you want teamplay, go straight to UT.

3. GRAPHICS/MODELS/SKINS/MAPS - UT. Quake's models look from ugly to uglier. UT's models are very nice and varied. In general, Quake still is stuck on the dark orange/brown dungeon feel of previous Quakes and UT follows Unreal's tradition of colorful and vibrant maps. UT also features some very beautiful maps like their mountaintop monastery map, speeding train map, ship map, etc. Some of these maps aren't quite as playable as others, but they are varied and interesting. Quake is still twisted dungeons -- but they're still very fun and very playable dungeons.

CONCLUSION - I really, really like UT. It's a fantastic game and many, many times better than Unreal ever was. In spite of this, I think Quake 3 is (still) my game of choice. I personally prefer its faster pacing and, like I said before, I have fallen in love with the Quake RL and railgun. I think I would recommend UT to anyone new to people new to FPS games, people that are into teamplay, or people who prefer a more tactical game. I think 70% of people that are interested in playing FPS fall into this category. For the 30% of us who want an immediate adrenaline rush via deathmatch (including myself), I would recommend Quake 3.

SUMMARY - UT is the marginally superior game, but continue playing Quake 3 if you enjoy the Quake feel, pace, and weapon balance. I like Q3 better but I'm going to recommend UT to people that are undecided.

------------------
Badmojo

[This message has been edited by Badmojo (edited 12-05-1999).]

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
I think i will have to agree with your analysis. The "feel" of the quake weapons has always appealed to me although over all i would have to take UT/Unreal over Quake3 anyday. NOt to mention how much easier it is to edit with unreal.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
I also like to think that I would be unbiased here.

I really, really wanted to like Q3a. But, it just gives me a "been there, done that" feeling. I've seen the dungeon maps. I've seen all the weapons before. I mean really, what's so different about it? It even sounds the same as earlier Quakes. And please, don't get me started on the inane "honk" sound, when you cause damage to someone.

The weapon balance is what I find incredible with UT. I find myself switching weapons, in mid-battle. I've never seen a game, that makes that a viable strategy. The alt-fire, and many combos, puts the weapons over the top.

Maybe when good mods do eventually come out for Q3, I'll be more in to it. But until then, I'll be spending my time with UT.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Okay here is what I think. I am the minority these days. I haven't been playing FPS's since Doom or what not, in fact I always hated FPS games. WHY, You ask? My personal (please note I said my personal) opinion was DM is stupid, you just run around and mindlessly slay everything around you. ANyway, January of 99 I was in EB and saw a game that promised a true Team based multiplayer experience. But it was FPS. I was reluctant to buy. But I had just got my first computer and wanted to see what all this fuss was about playing online. SO I gave it a shot. My friends Tribes changed my life forever. Here I am 11 months later still playing it and enjoying it. Why cause its so much deeper than a standard deathmatch. You have to really depend on your team mates to do their job or you WILL LOSE AT THAT GAME. That to me was fun, 10 guys playing 10 guys, not to get the highest frag count, but the common goal of smashing the other teams defenses and runnin home with their precious flag. All the while trying to keep yours at home.
Now then that being said, 11 months of Tribes and it is now pretty stagnant for me. So I began playing demos of other games (Q3A and UT). Nothing including UT, could give me that same feeling I had in TRibes. Q3A was just a DM which really didn't impress me and UT's demo CTF was well boring. SO I held out and read reviews and posts from folks like you. Finally after hearing all the hub-bub about how UT rocked with all the different Team Modes, and how Q3A was the King of the DM world I made my choice. And man oh man I am happy I did. UT has given me that giddy feeling again.
Bottomline, If you are an old school DM master Q3A is probably your game. If your fairly new to the scene, like me, and started when all this squad based online multi playing became the wave of the future, then UT, hands down, is the game to get. I think both games are rockin, in their targeted genre. I hope you guys get my points I have made, I am not much with words. LOL. Oh well enough rambling. Laters

bullet2.gif

Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

Badmojo

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
Getfried, thanks for the post - I couldnt' agree with you more. So you think UT is up to Tribes' level of teamplay? I've never played Tribes but after reading your post, I'm interested. The graphics look at little dated but that shouldn't be a problem at all if the gameplay is as good as some people are saying.

ASmurf

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
Wait, you're comparing UT-final with Q3-test?Regardless, UT seems to have more options and all, but the Q3 engine seems to be better. I get better fps with all the same params and it supports OpenGL.
In other words, UT kicks *** if you can run it kick-*** . Q3 kicks *** for most any decent computer.

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Mojo, Not yet. The potential is there, then again I haven't seen any clan CTF matches played for UT yet, so it is possible. IMHO, Nothing can compare to Tribes as far as team based gaming goes, NOTHING. Its just a tad bit stagnant these days. UT is my game of choice until T2 comes. UT is ALOT faster than Tribes (until you learn how to ski and learn all the routes) and its "definately prettier". Only time will tell how good it really is for team play. So far so good though IMO.

bullet2.gif

Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
Lanik, I've been posting different versions of my Q3 opinion all over the 'net. There's a reason a lot of people have used the same basic formula for that opinion. Because it's so true.

I've read a couple online reviews of Q3, and all say the same thing. No innovation.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

Status
Not open for further replies.