CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The biggest problem with "hardcore" mode is that using any gun besides the M4 becomes absolutely pointless and actually rather dumb. When power is no longer a concern due to 30 health, ease of use is the only thing that matters when choosing a gun, and the M4 is tied for first place in this category with the Skorpion. The Skorpion has lower recoil and is easier to use silenced, but the M4's bigger clip, longer one-shot-kill range, and strength through walls make up for it.

Actually, the biggest problem of all may simply be that the people that play it actually think its hardcore and takes skill that somehow doesn't apply in normal mode. This is totally false but no one listens! Evar! I've tried to argue my points on several occasions, and unless the guys are normal mode players playing "hardcore" mode for the lulz, they get all defensive and won't listen to a word of it. It's annoying, I tell ye. D:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I try to understand why this game is so popular, and I came up with the only conclusion that FPS gamers like the RL stuff, they get a decently optimized game out of it and the perks probably got most of the players into the game. But when you think about it, in the end, if they'd be removing all the perks about now, I think it would make the game much more balanced to at least a minimum, and better. We got to mess around it enough now, no one cares about what you use and how your P90 w/steady or AK-47 w/Deeper Impact aim is so cool. You only get called names for using perks people really hate.

If everyone would be to use Last stand and martyrdoms, it would be abysmal. Last games I've played yesterday, no one used them. It was a miracle. not a single RPG shot, not a single person using Martyr or Last stand, and no one using claymore either.

****ing claymores.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Claymores are never a problem in "hardcore" mode, man. Since you should be using the M4 like everyone else, you don't need any extra ammo, and since frags are overrated, use Bomb Squad instead. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Claymores are never a problem in "hardcore" mode, man.

Sure they are not. I mean, I go building to building surviving from people shooting at me, when I get this ****ing device blowing up behind me.

Or yet, you just entered a building, you focus on those claymores, while you do, your enemy won't help at all. I mean, come up logic! Claymores are for pussies who can't aim properly. Mostly lately more from people who use a P90 rather than actual snipers, lololol.

I dropped the P90 and I use a M4 obviously for a while now, Like Slayer told me to get a "real gun". Someone like him supporting the claymores is hilarious to me. :)

Slayer :fluffle:
Anyway, I may consider replacing Bandolier for Bomb Squad.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Dude, P90 isn't very good. Low damage, moderate fire rate, questionable sighted aim due to highish recoil, etc. The only thing that's good about it is its clip size since you can clear an entire room without reloading. I find the M4 much easier to use overall since sighted kills occur most often.

Bandolier is pointless if you're using a gun everyone else uses. M4, M16, G36, AK47, MP5, and AK74u are very popular, so you're pretty much guaranteed to find ammo.

Besides, it's not just claymores that are for people with no aim -- it's hardcore mode in general. It doesn't matter which gun you use, if you can't aim well enough to get kills in normal mode, you move to hardcore. The average skill level is lower on hardcore servers than it is elsewhere. It's not rocket science. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Dude, P90 isn't very good. Low damage, moderate fire rate, questionable sighted aim due to highish recoil, etc.

That's entirely false to my personal experience, and I've been playing with this weapon like a mofo. The damages are very decent due to the fire rate (hardcore hardly 3 bullets w/silencer unless Juggernaut), and the recoil really isn't a problem for me. It's perfect for clearing buildings, the only thing that sucks about this gun is the environment penetration. You'll probably not believe me, but this weapon with a silencer attached, it can get more efficient than a M4 overall.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sure, the P90's better for close quarters where you fire from the hip, but the M4 is one of the top two easiest guns to control when sighted due to its low recoil. The only gun that's easier is the Skorpion -- there's almost no recoil with that one. For maps where most of what you do is sighted (ie not Vacant), it's pretty much impossible to beat the M4/Skorpion.

Of course it's "hardly three bullets" considering no shot from any gun at any distance does less than 20 damage. Without extenuating circumstances (Juggernaut or walls), every gun has a two-bullet maximum in "hardcore" mode. That's what makes it the land of the aim-free. :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Some of you worry far too much about damage ratios and pure winning and losing. I just choose guns on which ones I need to use to complete an achievement or which one I think would be more fun to use in the situation.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Meh. I was going for all golds for awhile, but I only made it as far as the gold AK47 before giving up. Even under hardcore mode where more headshots are lethal it was really quite difficult to get consistent headshots with some of the SMGs (the Uzi, mainly, but the P90 is hardly any better on the recoil side of things).

As for the ratios and whatnot, all I'm saying is hardcore removes the need for most of the game's content and waters it down to one thing -- the ease at which you can control a gun's recoil has the ultimate say for how good it is. Power is altogether obsolete since every gun can one-shot within its proper range and no gun does more than a two-shot (without Jugger/walls). D:

Whereas something like the AK47 has its place in normal mode because it's the only automatic rifle that does that kind of damage (same as G3 and M16), in hardcore mode its power is of no use to you. Therefore, it's strong recoil does nothing but hurt you unnecessarily. This applies to most of the guns, actually, including the shotguns, LMGs, snipers, and the semi-auto rifles.

I've even found that the SMGs are mostly pointless too because being able to kill with one bullet eliminates the advantage they have in being more accurate in close quarters due to their tighter spread. Thus, the only two guns that truly stick out as good are the M4 and Skorpion. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've been trying the UZI today in HC, it's a very decent weapon in close range, however, his low capacity and huge ass recoil makes me want to trow it away for long range. I tried a Red dot then the silencer, I'm definitively moving back to the Red dot sight. The silencer completely nerfed the entire weapon efficiency by like, 50% or more.

T2A, I'll try the Skorpion too.