Alright... I've had enough of headphone cord twist death, so...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
[SCREENSHOT]http://darkpulse.project2612.org/CordTwistDeath.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

...I'm looking for a good wireless headset.

Usually I'm fine with a pair of $20 cheapies, but they inevitably die within 18-24 months because the cord twists itself to death. Why the hell can't they make these cords thicker, or at least twist-resistant? I'd gladly pay an extra $5-10 just for that.

But since they don't, and since I'm sick of plunking down 20 bucks every 18-24 months on something that should last considerably longer than that, I'm seriously thinking of buying some wireless ones.

Newegg's currently got a whopping 3 wireless headsets:

• This one from Microsoft, which is $60, and single-ear, so thus useless to me.
  • This one from Logitech, which is $80, and has fairly good reviews. Downsides: Not USB charging, and Mic response is only 100 Hz-10 kHz. Approx. 6 hours of battery life.
  • This one from Creative, which is $100. Similar level of reviews to the Logitech, USB Charging, and better Mic response. (100 Hz-16 kHz.) Approx 8 hours of battery life. Downsides: Apparently can be painful on the ears with extended time, since they sit on the ears as opposed to actually covering them.
An alternative would be to buy a more expensive wired headset, such as Sennheisers, but I'd much rather replace a $20 cheapie than a $60 quality one if they're both going to undergo cord twist death.

Any advice? Are the cords on an expensive pair less likely to twist? Or should I go with a wireless? If wireless, are either of the two I picked good for the money? If not, are there any recommendations?

Any help here would be appreciated. I'm sick of this crap. Usually I don't mind buying parts, but getting a new headset after a year or two due to an incredibly stupid problem just plain sucks.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Any help here would be appreciated. I'm sick of this crap. Usually I don't mind buying parts, but getting a new headset after a year or two due to an incredibly stupid problem just plain sucks.

Agreed. I've killed 3-4 headsets so far (2 logitech, two another brand) and I'm getting tired of this problem. It's likely that I'll get a proper headset from Sony without a mike as I mostly need sound for making videos and music.

P.S: Got the same model as the one on the photo. Managed to bend the minijack, there's a problem with volume and the cable along the plastic bit that goes around the head keeps dropping down. They're not worth the price imo.
P.P.S: Trying to fix PC headphones are a pain as the wires are tinted with something that stops solder from bonding and the signal doesn't seem to get through.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Can't you just, you know, un-twist them?

Or are you that ****ing lazy?

They retwist themselves after a while and, sooner or later, the solder joints on the ends break. It's poor workmanship in my opinion.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
If you don't like wires you should definitely go wireless.

There is a big difference between a $20 pair of headphones and a $100 pair though.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Sony has some that the cord is wrapped in cloth instead of rubber. I use them at the gym and actually have a knot tied in the cord to shorten it up.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I never really had any cord issues with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106931
The only issue I have had is the mic goes to hell after a while, tho rough guess is a year+ lifespan

[Edit] After reading the reviews, seems the mic going out isn't unusual, but it seems I have had luck with both sets returning a long life on it

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I am having same problem, but now I am trying to keep it not twisted and this one lasts so far, the problem is that not it is twisted, but that the tiny wires get damaged and it won't work later...

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Can't you just, you know, un-twist them?

Or are you that ****ing lazy?
If it were that easy, do you think I'd be bitching? What Azura said is the case. One pair I used Electrical tape to force it not to retwist, and the twists simply moved to the un-taped portions of the cord. It's not that simple, or I wouldn't have gone through 4 or so headsets in the last 5-6 years.
If you don't like wires you should definitely go wireless.

There is a big difference between a $20 pair of headphones and a $100 pair though.
I don't mind wired ones, but I'm sick of every headset I buy going to hell because of the cord twisting and thus eventually shorting out wires. At the same time, if I'm going to buy a $100 headset, I expect it to last 2-3 years at least, thus my reluctance to buy some pricey Sennheisers. As I said, I'd rather replace a cheap $20 Logitech headset than an expensive, $60+ pair of Sennheisers.
Dirty old speakers and desk.
Thank you for the decorating tips, Kantham. Feel free to buy me a new desk and pair of speakers if you'd like. The desk is 10 years old and the speakers are probably nearly as old, but since I very rarely use them this is not a problem.
I never really had any cord issues with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106931
The only issue I have had is the mic goes to hell after a while, tho rough guess is a year+ lifespan

[Edit] After reading the reviews, seems the mic going out isn't unusual, but it seems I have had luck with both sets returning a long life on it
Eh... Mic working is pretty important to me. I've used those sets before, though. They're decent. Problem for me is the cord kills itself, rather than the mic.

Still looking for suggestions or opinions. For now I've Jerry-rigged my current headset (The issue seems to be the connector at the base of the headset rather than the actual twisted cord) but once it begins to die, it's just a matter of time. Hopefully I'll get at least a hundred bucks for my birthday, and I can then replace it.

Of course, if anyone feels like buying a pair for a birthday present, that works too. You have until July 31st. :p

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just wondering if it was possible to buy a pair you know the wire connections is not the issue and then just use electrical tape along the whole length to keep it from twisting. I haven't used these things in a long time, but you mentioned the tape so was just wondering if it would work and be practical.

Funny thing is the night after this thread started I just opened Rosetta Stone and a pair came with it, so this could be interesting.:)

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
I suspect those with twisted wires are rotating them as they pick the up to put on and again, in the same direction, as they take them off and put them down. Try to figure out which way they're being rotated & give them a couple of turns the opposite way as you put them back down. Great for those with OCD. :D

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Just wondering if it was possible to buy a pair you know the wire connections is not the issue and then just use electrical tape along the whole length to keep it from twisting. I haven't used these things in a long time, but you mentioned the tape so was just wondering if it would work and be practical.

Funny thing is the night after this thread started I just opened Rosetta Stone and a pair came with it, so this could be interesting.:)
I tried that with the pair I mentioned using tape on (it wound up being mostly taped over.) In theory, it might work, but as my tape applications were small segments at a time, it inevitably wound up re-twisting eventually anyway. Using a whole roll and applying it in one shot might, however, make it more resilient. Feel free to try.
I suspect those with twisted wires are rotating them as they pick the up to put on and again, in the same direction, as they take them off and put them down. Try to figure out which way they're being rotated & give them a couple of turns the opposite way as you put them back down. Great for those with OCD. :D
Hmm. Could be a cause, but unfortunately, that likely won't solve anything, as once you forget to do it enough it begins twisting, and then it's too late.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I've never had any kind of problem with twisting cords. Even on console controllers, I just get those tangled with other console controllers, but not twisted by themselves. :p

Right now I'm using some Senns though, but I would like to try out or get some wireless headphones just because the wire does get in the way when I'm doing certain activities with my hands...

but DP! You won't be able to hear as fast because of the lag time. Oh noes :(

I'm actually pretty supprised that my ut2k4 headphones have lasted as long as they have. I constantly roll over them, and they do get twisted up. But I just hold them in the air and let the cord untwist. Then it's fine.

I actually wouldn't mind a nice set of cordless ones, however, I'm curious as the weight on them must be pretty good to hold the batteries. Which is one of the main reasons, I never got a set.

That and the lag time of hit scan weapon sounds.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
I've never had any kind of problem with twisting cords. Even on console controllers, I just get those tangled with other console controllers, but not twisted by themselves. :p
Oh, I've never had that problem with controller cords. They're thicker, for one, so they very rarely twist upon themselves.

As for the lag time... that is something I'm a bit worried about. That's one of the several reasons I posted this topic.

Unfortunately, I get people telling me how dirty my speakers are, instead of actually helpful information. ****ing useless Quebecois.