Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Really? I liked the last one. Looks like something straight out of STALKER.

Liz, are these settings built right into the camera, or did you do post processing?

I like the last one too. Kind'a looks like a painting. Surrealistic.

No, there is nothing built into the camera for this stuff.

You take a number of shots at different exposers and then combine them in a program called Photomatix.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Really? I liked the last one. Looks like something straight out of STALKER.

Liz, are these settings built right into the camera, or did you do post processing?

Well I guess I just like more vibrant photos, y'know, and stuff that captures the moment. Seems like these HDR things are mostly overworked to the point that they just look fake and un-believable. Kinda like Igoy's photos of herself. ;)

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
That's the whole point - to create other worldly, surrealist creations from photographs, like with painting. Well some people use it to show off their e-peen, but yeah. :p

From Peterhof:
2801621088_aebef16d9a_b.jpg

Just as a reference to what I said on the flickr page, here's the original RAW:
Un-processed.jpg

Edit: Not related with the HDR discussion - new page lacks pics. ;)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I like HDR as a way of improving the tonal range of a photo for that correct-exposure-everywhere look (like this).

I hate HDR as a way of making highly unrealistic pictures where colors are exaggerated and blown out (like this). Photomatix is largely to blame for this style of HDR.

I agree completely. Although there will be some who like the exagerated artsy look, I always prefer to keep it real.

I'm sure we have all run up against a scene where there are extreme ranges between the shadows and highlights (thanks to our sun) recovery is difficult but not impossible. I see HDR as letting us bring all that together to make a more pleasing scene. I don't want people to know I used HDR. I just want people to see an excellent photo.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I would say over 95% of the HDR photos out there are way over done. Also, it's such a pain in the ass to do I think. Is there a way to set the camera up to take at least 3 photos at different exposure settings consecutively?

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
I like the last one too. Kind'a looks like a painting. Surrealistic.

No, there is nothing built into the camera for this stuff.

You take a number of shots at different exposers and then combine them in a program called Photomatix.

The last one kinda looks like the effect you get with those pictures where they show you some sort of negative picture for 20 seconds and then change it for the same pic in greyscale and you sortof see the colors
(edit: like this one: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/266709/color_illusion/)

I like the second (Colorful HDR) picture best though :)

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Is there a way to set the camera up to take at least 3 photos at different exposure settings consecutively?

With my D300 it's really simple.

First you set the camera to "Continuous" mode. (Pressing the shuttle release takes shots until you release the button.

Then you turn "auto bracketing" on, and tell the camera how many shots you want (3,5,7, or 9), and what exposure steps you want (1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV).

In the posted pictures I setup the camera to take 3 exposures with 1ev steps. When I pressed the shutter release the camera took three rapid images, the first exposed at what the camera (or I) decided was the proper exposure, the second was -1ev and the third was +1ev.

Photoshop has a "Merge to HDR" option (File -> Automate -> Merge to HDR) . So you basically import the images into Photoshop using that opotion and then you use the Photomatix plug-in to "Tone-map" the image.

HDR-HowTO.jpg

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
With my D300 it's really simple.

First you set the camera to "Continuous" mode. (Pressing the shuttle release takes shots until you release the button.

Then you turn "auto bracketing" on, and tell the camera how many shots you want (3,5,7, or 9), and what exposure steps you want (1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV).

In the posted pictures I setup the camera to take 3 exposures with 1ev steps. When I pressed the shutter release the camera took three rapid images, the first exposed at what the camera (or I) decided was the proper exposure, the second was -1ev and the third was +1ev.

Photoshop has a "Merge to HDR" option (File -> Automate -> Merge to HDR) . So you basically import the images into Photoshop using that opotion and then you use the Photomatix plug-in to "Tone-map" the image.

HDR-HowTO.jpg
I've been following the HDR topic for a while now and it's very interesting. I've seen these hardcore HDR pictures before but never really knew how to create them. I first thought it was all Photoshop wizardry and therefor I've never been able to take it very seriously. However, subtle usage can lead to very beautiful results, as I can see from the picture of this shack.
I wonder if I can do something like that with the Nikon D40, which is the camera I use (I still didn't have much time to fully study all the possibilities of this camera, when you come from a "Coolpix" range camera they seem to be endless ;) )

Wow, it's really the same one!

----

Oldcommunals.jpg

(There is some graffiti at the top - "Scully and Fox!")
I can't tell why, but that picture looks interesting to me. Where has it been taken?