UTXMP "should" be U2XMP!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
I apologise in advance for the bluntness and directness of this post but i believe it delves straight into the main problems of UTXMP.

Personally I believe even with the release of the 1a patch the game is still not at a stage to be called a beta and im tired of people complimenting the attainment level of the game. I compliment free monkey greatly for the effort they have put into this project but I cannot bring myself to even begin to compliment the game itself. Many more experienced players and clans have simply given up on UTXMP and returned to play U2XMP because it is fun to play.

XMP is not a concept where there are three classes and its capture the flag with 2 flags each, thats a minor mod for ctf...

XMP is a game! in fact, its the best game ive ever played. And I must say it is n00b friendly, of course players who have been playing for a week cannot beat those who have practised every day for a year but the learning curve for new players is incredibly fast.

XMP is a game made by its differences from other games, it had almost perfect balance, it had the most amazing movement and flair of any game and it had at least at the start one of the most friendly, accepting communities in the gaming world.

Surely UTXMP isn't made to attract elite ut2k4 players, it is made for the people who play XMP not ctf with 2 flags each :). Yes, U2XMP had problems, but they were all physical rather than in game, there was terrible lag and the master server was constantly down which harmed the game greatly but the idea and its implementation was almost faultless.

I dont wish to sound ungrateful for what we have received but to be completely frank and honest id rather not have seen it until it was ready. I would call this very much a beginning with graphics and some factors in place already but i cant bring myself to believe it to be a beta. Most betas that I have had experience of have been almost complete and this game is surely a long way away.

Well, sorry to have upset anyone but those are my honest views... back to U2XMP I go for now :)

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
^^ Another example of people crying to play the game, and play it NOW!!, then complain when it isn't done. Instead of being as cynical as me, try providing some HELPFUL feedback.

[_X_]DJBRIAND

[_X_]MatchMaker
Jul 28, 2004
Belfast
www.the-xclan.com
Fair play to ye!!

I would assume a lot of peeps feel the same way seeing as the servers are mostly empty.
At the moment UTXMP is unplayable for me,maybe it's because of my Geforce 4 card,maybe not,but I am finding it very difficult to get a feel for it.
I have great appreciation for what the FMI guy's are doin',and I'm not trying to criticise them.
I hope UTXMP gets better for everyone who feels it's not right,until then I will be playing U2XMP.

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
^^ Another example of people crying to play the game, and play it NOW!!, then complain when it isn't done. Instead of being as cynical as me, try providing some HELPFUL feedback.

1. I never asked to play the game NOW, hence i dont play it now, id rather have waited longer for something fun to play

2. This is helpful feedback as im saying UTXMP needs to be exactly like U2XMP or at least as close as possible to be good fun to play for the desired community

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
Laf.

If you want UTXMP to be exactly like U2XMP, then why develop UTXMP at all?

As far as I'm concerned, that "desired" community who wants UTXMP to be exactly like U2XMP should stay with U2XMP because...UTXMP CAN'T be exactly the same.

And yes, your feedback is total crap.

If you want me to explain why your feedback is crap, I'll give you many analogies - but I think I've made several posts about what helpful feedback is and quite frankly - your's useless.

And you're the prime example of a sh!tty community member. Yes, I'll play the end result - the gold, but won't help out with the beta development. I'll just play u2xmp while everyone helps out constructively and when it's perfect and everyone says it's gold, I'll play then. If you're going to sit here and bitch about UTXMP, you better be helping. Otherwise, STFU.

Leech on dude.

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
[tH]Angelus said:
1. I never asked to play the game NOW, hence i dont play it now, id rather have waited longer for something fun to play

that's .........why......they......called.......it.....a.........beta
don't expect to play it, it's a beta.

how much did you pay freemonkey for utxmp??
look at all the other games like valve's recent releases: they are all sold with the expectation that they'd have to be patched almost immediately.
freemonkey isn't a great big corporation; if the nice community you mentioned has to put a bit of work in testing the game in a million ways fm'd have missed anyway* that's a small price to pay. We also get a game we've helped create ! i'm not awfully keen on its current state but believe it will be good when it comes out, and not necessarily exactly the same.

and fireball's right with the descriptive feedback thing. it's meaningless to say "the doors are all wrong" and constructive to say "if the player hacks a door it won't open until he leaves the trigger zone for the door and re-enters it. this is repeatable"
it's even more meaningless to say utxmp has "problems"...

write a post in the bug section describing what you believe would make it better and why, and lo: the release version will be a step closer.

--------------------------------------
*for example i found that a tech can't recharge mg turrets if he's holding a rocket turret. it's pretty trivial, and i'm not surprised it was missed by fm.

You sir suck!

These aren't guys who get to spend 15 hours every single ****ing day programing, and testing, and making content for UTXMP. You really piss me off, and if it were up to me, I would get your stupid ass GTAN'd. Don't be stupid. You don't have to ****ing play the game. If you don't like it, **** off. Keep your stupid ass mouth shut about how you don't like something. I don't like you. Do you see me making ****ing posts about how you need to be fixxed, and how your not what I think you should be? No! Because there's no ****ing point in having stupid goddamn worthless **** on here. All your doing is sucking. I honestly don't want you to play UTXMP. If you can't accept a ****ing game, piss off. Please stay with U2XMP. I can tell you now, that noone wants a ****ing retard to play UTXMP. Of course it's not perfect. It won't be either. If you don't like it, make your ****ing game. Goddamn, you really piss me the **** off. I am so very greatful to FMI for doing this. If anything it has brought some more people into U2XMP. And your ****ing stupid post about how you don't think this should be a beta....well what the ****. Do you want them to make a box and call that "alpha stage". afjl;a;dsafdsafkladsghlaghnajklh !!!!!!!

****ing idiot

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
The Jackal-XMP said:
Y15 hours every single ****ing day ...t, **** off......g stupid goddamn worthless **** ...... a ****ing game,.....****ing stupid post ....****ing idiot

<puts hand on jackal's shoulder>

breathe.......

breathe........

...AndRelax.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I could reeally rant in this thread if I felt like it.

But I'm too lazy.

Suffice it to say that XMP is a concept and if you don't think it is you have a serious mental blockage. The reason it is a concept is because there are about a million other ways the game could be made (infitesimal team/weapon combinations that I won't go into here, but will gloss over the fact that it was originally SUPPOSED to be Skaarj vs. Humans) and it would still be the same game. The whining that is going on here is nothing short of amazing to me. Every single person here that has been a pretty involved Unreal community member saw the UT->UT2003->UT2004 progression (especially on AtariCommunity) and ought to realize how pointless it is to complain. The fact is, no innovation == no income == no point. If UTXMP is going to be U2XMP, I would prefer it DOESN'T come to UT2004 and remains where it is. (Generally) Unsupported (by a developer or the community) and Unplayed (by pretty much anyone).

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
[DS] Calico said:
I kinda half agree with angelus but the other half I dont know I just dont really care enough anymore to even read it all but UTXMP should be like u2xmp thats what it should be if you take the job of converting it then yea it should but somethings are changed for the better so....

god im so lonely....

The difference between your point and his point is.

UTXMP "should" be U2XMP -> Angeles

UTXMP "should be like" U2XMP -> You.

The intial release of this beta was "like" U2XMP. UTXMP can not be the same because of engine limitations. It can always be "like" but not exactly the same.

Mar 6, 2004
[tH]Angelus said:
I apologise in advance for the bluntness and directness of this post but i believe it delves straight into the main problems of UTXMP.

Personally I believe even with the release of the 1a patch the game is still not at a stage to be called a beta and im tired of people complimenting the attainment level of the game. I compliment free monkey greatly for the effort they have put into this project but I cannot bring myself to even begin to compliment the game itself. Many more experienced players and clans have simply given up on UTXMP and returned to play U2XMP because it is fun to play.

XMP is not a concept where there are three classes and its capture the flag with 2 flags each, thats a minor mod for ctf...

XMP is a game! in fact, its the best game ive ever played. And I must say it is n00b friendly, of course players who have been playing for a week cannot beat those who have practised every day for a year but the learning curve for new players is incredibly fast.

XMP is a game made by its differences from other games, it had almost perfect balance, it had the most amazing movement and flair of any game and it had at least at the start one of the most friendly, accepting communities in the gaming world.

Surely UTXMP isn't made to attract elite ut2k4 players, it is made for the people who play XMP not ctf with 2 flags each :). Yes, U2XMP had problems, but they were all physical rather than in game, there was terrible lag and the master server was constantly down which harmed the game greatly but the idea and its implementation was almost faultless.

I dont wish to sound ungrateful for what we have received but to be completely frank and honest id rather not have seen it until it was ready. I would call this very much a beginning with graphics and some factors in place already but i cant bring myself to believe it to be a beta. Most betas that I have had experience of have been almost complete and this game is surely a long way away.

Well, sorry to have upset anyone but those are my honest views... back to U2XMP I go for now :)

As i was saying in another thread...bad fan support! go play u2xmp and don't come back to utxmp when it's finished! we don't need bandwagon fans like you around, we need people to SUPPORT UTXMP and not ditch it and wait for OTHERS to make this mod complete. You may think "how am i waiting for others to make it complete" but it's true, the mod doesn't get fixed untill people TRY the game out and find things that need to be fixed and you're gonna wait for that rather then help yourself! you ditch the mod, the ONE thing that will make u2xmp and utxmp gain people, you ditch it because xmp is more fun? you obviously don't want xmp to improve, so why play a game you don't wanna improve? if you really liked xmp you would STAY playing UTXMP and try and improve it for other people who will share both U2XMP and UTXMP but no, you run off like a little cry baby.

The people at FMI have worked their asses off to bring everyone a way we can get more people to support and play this game and have another home besides XMP to go to and there are people like YOU who decide "nah i'm not gonna play anymore", all that hard work and they don't need little whiney sh*ts like you around, you define a bad fan of a game, not everything is perfect, not even XMP is perfect but you work at it and make it as good as you can, not run away! now go play U2XMP! oh and i have no respect for you now.

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
Couple things:

1.) Obviously the Raptor issues need to be fixed. It's real annoying when you grab an arty, jump into a flaming raptor, gutblow someone, and try to jump out fast to beat the grenade. Then you run over yourself, and it turns out the grenade missed anyway. :mad:

Its better than before, but still there.

2.) I can't quite figure out why, but the Ranger's pistol seems a lot more spammy.

3.) I think the shotgun is a *tad* too powerful. Seems like techs are dominating more to me.

4.) When I exit a vehicle, many times my boosters activate even though I didn't press 'jump'. Takes some personal energy that might have been the difference between life and death in an immediate duel.

5.) The controls still aren't completely 'smooth'. For some reason I hit jump only once but sometimes the boosters activate anyway.

6.) Mantling isn't smooth in first-person. It works, but its one moment you're at the ledge the next moment you're on top of it. Other than that the third-person animation fits fairly well.

7.) I still can see through the smoke grenades.

IMO, the gunners' rockets send vehicles flying altogether too much. I mean harbinger juggling.

Also, I didn't check yet, but do conc grenades tip vehicles yet?

:::EDIT:::

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the manned turrets. The Roundhouse turrets don't work first of all. The LowLandsGiant turret has the UT2004 Goliath tank hit rock effect. The Swingarm turret has too similar to Link Gun projectiles and moves too slow. The Winged turret also doesn't work. Those are the only ones I tested.

Also, all the manned turrets seem to do little or no damage whatsoever and their only purpose seems to be momentumtransfer.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So why the freak did you post this here? This is a whiny "troll". You were giving feedback. Not congruous!
T-Shinzon said:
2.) I can't quite figure out why, but the Ranger's pistol seems a lot more spammy.

3.) I think the shotgun is a *tad* too powerful. Seems like techs are dominating more to me.
To me personally it seems like Rangers are still the "dominant" class. I personally think it's too easy to shoot people with the Sniper Rifle without zooming in, and it does too much damage. The pistol seems just like it was in U2XMP...spammy and too accurate and too hurtful. However, I think that isn't a major problem as long as the Sniper was fixed. All my opinion though.
4.) When I exit a vehicle, many times my boosters activate even though I didn't press 'jump'. Takes some personal energy that might have been the difference between life and death in an immediate duel.
I noticed this too, quite annoying.

MadMan2k

Aug 2, 2004
[tH]Angelus said:
well, I did, and I did it quite loud - so blame me.
But isnt it better to be able to play some any version of UTXMP than not bein able to play it at all?
Isn't it an advantage by taking part of development process and being able to give FMI feedback, just like jou did right now?

So, would it be ok for you if we call this release an alpha?

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
I think i'll start answering these posts in backwards order, seeing as most of you are backward anyways. And maybe i'll start being less constructive and even more honest in stating my opinions.

Isn't it an advantage by taking part of development process and being able to give FMI feedback, just like jou did right now?

Shouldn't the closed "beta" testers have done that anyways?

So, would it be ok for you if we call this release an alpha?

Maybe a pre-alpha but yeah ok.

I personally think it's too easy to shoot people with the Sniper Rifle without zooming in, and it does too much damage

The sniper rifle needs very little fixing as it is almost the same as the U2XMP one except for the scope.

the mod doesn't get fixed untill people TRY the game out and find things that need to be fixed and you're gonna wait for that rather then help yourself!

If you watched these forums more you may have noticed that I have already posted suggested changes and I agree with the majority of the community, at least at the start of their posts like the "movement isnt right" thread which started off with some honest opinions which i totally agreed with then morphed into a stupid bitching competition between people who had good views of the game and people who wanted to change this into some kind of crap mod for ut2k4. This is not ut2k4 its XMP!

not even XMP is perfect

I beg to differ

oh and i have no respect for you now.

more than I have for you kid ;)

UTXMP "should" be U2XMP -> Angeles

get my name right

The intial release of this beta was "like" U2XMP. UTXMP can not be the same because of engine limitations. It can always be "like" but not exactly the same.

UTXMP is nothing like U2XMP. I understand there are some engine limitations and obviously those cant be gotten round, but there are major issues such as movement and game feeling that im sure arent caused by the engine.

there are about a million other ways the game could be made and it would still be the same game

err... no it wouldnt... by what you said it would be different, nice one lad, rofl.

If UTXMP is going to be U2XMP, I would prefer it DOESN'T come to UT2004 and remains where it is.

So you dont even like U2XMP then?!?

You sir suck!... ****ing idiot

1. chill out a sec, lol
2. I am very happy and grateful for what FMI are trying to do but I am not happy and grateful for what is in front of me at this stage.

And yes, your feedback is total crap.

No, my feedback is going to be the most helpful thing that has been said on these forums. Im saying we have to listen to people who want UTXMP to be as similar to U2XMP as possible, because U2XMP was perfect, UT2K4 is far from it, I dont want UTXMP to die within a month of its birth and if its like U2XMP it wont! because FMI cant aim to please the UT2K4 community with the mod simply because the UT2K4 community cant be expected to budge from their respective game eg ctf and ictf. Therefore the people which FMI have to aim at is new players and ex-U2XMP players and to please them we have to listen to the experienced and known players of U2XMP.

Your best bet in that case is continue playing U2XMP.

I am doing for now, but atm the master server's down again... one of "the real" xmp's only two problems and servers are quite laggy (its second problem) so there are few players, but the ones that are left nearly all have UT2K4 and dont want to play UTXMP so I think there lies the proof of a loss of community potentials by differing from a simple port.

Thank You :)

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
[tH]Angelus said:
atm the master server's down again...

ahh, try this thread - i'm keeping a list of all the servers i find running u2xmp, then adding them to a folder in qtracker. it works well. but yes, there aren't so many players. hopefully see you there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.