Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
I love the HOLP pack :p And playing that basically highlights that too many maps are fancy-graphic orientated rather than gameplay focussed, so basically the core of the game is very fun, but blighted by some rather average (in terms of gameplay) maps. Last night when I tried the pack, it was the most fun I've had playing any map in UT3 so far. The only stock DM map I've particularly liked was just Shangri-La. So I am lovin' it.

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
We are just getting our server up and working. We have had a lot of growing pains with UT3. That said the TAW clan is really loving the game. We are keeping our practices open right now and we are always having pubbers jump in and enjoy the fragging fun. I hope to have the redirect and webadmin up and some mutators in the future but, so far the CTF and TDM game play has been great. Completely insane action and games going back and forth. "I LOVE IT!!" We hope to see all of you around the servers

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
After discovering that I can't play with more than 12 unique player models (bots) on any map for any gametype my feelings have really taken a downward turn. I have been able to accept a lot of bugs in the PC version that greatly affect Offline players who loved the great bot and team configuration options of UT2K3/4 but not being able to even have the team I want is really bothering me. I can't get over how we are not able to create large teams ... I mean a 6 person limit on each team ... for Warfare and VCTF maps especially ... that is absolutely crazy. That we have to just accept that all other characters past 12 will be that ugly default male Iron Guard model is lousy. Not being able to set up 10v10 Epic scale (and some would laugh at that even) with the characters I have is mind-boggling. Yet another area where Epic took two steps back.

Edit: Found out that I just needed to edit the game ini file and change the max allowed bots from 12 to 32 and now I am in business. Now I can say that I am back to having a really good time with the game but I can't understand why Epic would even have such a low number of bots to use set as the default. And then they don't provide any documentation about it whatsoever.

Last edited:

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
Actually I was trying to find out about the custom characters. We are occasionally seeing custom characters but it's not consistent across the teams.
Do we need to install the tweaker or unlock all characters via the server?

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
1.) The art style. Love it!

2.) Movement and gameplay: What needs to be said? Nothing. This is awesome.

3.) The vehicles: The vast majority of these rock my nuts. And nobody's ever attempted vehicles as totally awesome as the Necris set. Which brings me to...

4.) The Necris: Finally, something that can stand on the stage with the uber-ccol Skaarj as an equal. Everything about how the Necris are portrayed in UT3 is great.

5.) CTF is fun again: I haven't played online CTf since I bailed on 2k3 CTF. It's just plain fun again. Oh, and the TL is better than it's ever been.

6.) Warfare: The stock maps are just great, but the potential for community maps is even better.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
This game is huge. There are so many user made maps now, I don't even have time to try the full releases of the deathmatch maps.

If you can't enjoy it, suffer well. Why not just love the game instead? I have loved it all the way.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I'm not normally a CTF player but I started playing it again just because of the bonus pack and I've had quite a bit of fun on one of the first 24/7 face servers ;p

SparksterºSanjulo

Mar 28, 2008
. And almost all of the vehement responses complain about the menu. The bloody menu. I don't think I've ever seen so many people being snobby about a menu.
That is only thing bad with the game I think, besides the lack of maps (Which can be easily fixed), I mean it's just... Ugh, it's not just the colors, but how they make require you to click through 500 things just to change the gamma or something..

If there was a mod or a patch or something to fix the menu to make it like the UT99 or UT2004 menus then this game would be pretty much flawless IMO.

I really love the new graphics, although the bloom is out of hand at times, I would love to know if there is a way to tone it down cause on some maps its way too bright and blinding, other than that everything runs smoothly and looks fine. I haven't tried it online yet, though.

I can't decide which gametype I like more, but I'm guessing along the lines of Warfare cause Onslaught used to be my favorite and this is the closet one, really dig the new Darkwalker vehicle and the new version of the Manta, but no remake I like more than the Scorpion, it's like, wow! I can actually drive these things without them turning at a 2 second delay to the keypress, also they don't just go FLYING allover the place with every single little hit, that always drove me nuts with UT2004.

Av4tar

Jan 19, 2008
Victoria, Australia.
UT3 lover.

I can say i officialy love UT3, everything just feels right. Apart from the UI (which doesn't annoy me that much), I can't see why people complain about it so much.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Actually I was trying to find out about the custom characters. We are occasionally seeing custom characters but it's not consistent across the teams.
Do we need to install the tweaker or unlock all characters via the server?

The default guy bug is still there, unfortunately, which is probably what's causing the frequency of non-custom characters. There is another patch coming, so we'll see if it gets addressed.

For bloom control: set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=value,bloom_interpolationduration=value)

I'm not sure what the second option does, and it's typically unnecessary. bloom_scale accepts a wide range of values, including negative values. Play around with it and see if it's useful to you.

Using a combination of the mouse wheel and Enter on the keybaord, most of the menu can be navigated quite efficiently. It's only the top bar that I haven't been able to access other than via the mouse pointer. You can get better control over the gamma via the "gamma" console command anyway... :p

If I can get the game going w/o crashing, I'll tend to play for hours, until I get too hungry to focus...

I decided back in 2k3 that hate was overrated, anyway. Opinions and preferences have their use, but adaptation and evolutions tends to be more fun.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I recently found a very effective way to boost the fun factor of the entire game. I changed the settings to suit my computer better. I totally maxed out all graphics settings. I still play at 1280x960 but I reduced texture details to 1. Loadingtimes are fantastic and I absolutely love it. I almost can't wait to play more.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Epic to the power!
UT3 have bugs but they wiil adress it, I see this game like the best in the Unreal series Is very balanced and well planified

Epic go! :2thumb: :D