Proof of Alien Life?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
We don't even know that for certain. We just assume that the probability of life on those planets is low because we can make educated guesses about the chemical compositions of the atmosphere and surface of the planets.

And moons, such as Europa and Titan. And Rhea if I'm not mistaken.
I mean, what lies beneath the surface of these astral bodies?

There are plans to send a probe to Europa (ten-twenty years from now probably), drill through the ice and perhaps stumble upon a hidden ocean or so. And if there is liquid water on Europa, who knows what it might hold.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Haven't we already found a couple of earth sized planets orbiting sunlike stars in just the right distance?
yes we have.

but just because we have "found" them doesn't mean we know anything about what is actually happening on their surface. for all we know they could be teeming with alien life whether its advanced or primitive, flora or fauna, or both. they could just as easily be totally barren and void of any life, nothing has taken root.

point is: we don't really know.
even the closest Earth-like planets are still hundreds of light years away. all we can do right now is add them to our list and take some crappy satellite pictures from (really) far away.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, there is the gliese581 system (red dwarf) which is "only" at 20 lightyears distance and presumably has two out six planets in the "habitable" zone. C and G iirc. However, the existence of G is debated isn't it.

But yeah, 20 lightyears equals about 188 billion kilometers...

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
yes we have.

but just because we have "found" them doesn't mean we know anything about what is actually happening on their surface. for all we know they could be teeming with alien life whether its advanced or primitive, flora or fauna, or both. they could just as easily be totally barren and void of any life, nothing has taken root.

point is: we don't really know.
even the closest Earth-like planets are still hundreds of light years away. all we can do right now is add them to our list and take some crappy satellite pictures from (really) far away.

What I'm sayin is, out of the couple of thousand planets we have found, there are already ones that probably have earthlike conditions. Now we have only found planets around close stars. But if even on the few stars where we found planets, there are planets with possibly earth like conditions, that means that there have to be billions of them. Now if only on a very small percentage of those life evolved, that would still be a huge number of planets with life on them.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Somewhere..out there...

20tlzs2.jpg

milkywaygalaxysun.jpg

e5id5z.jpg

[screenshot]http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/six66picupstyxx/hubble-ultradeep-desk-1024.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/SkyDragonOne/Hubbles%20Look%20into%20Space/HubbleImage99.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/nhansu/thien%20ha/heic0615a.jpg[/screenshot]

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
even on the few stars where we found planets, there are planets with possibly earth like conditions, that means that there have to be billions of them. Now if only on a very small percentage of those life evolved, that would still be a huge number of planets with life on them.
oh.
I see what you are getting at now.
and you're right. that's another good way to look at it.

and you're only talking about planets with "Earth-like" conditions.
there are still countless other planets and near limitless combinations of environmental conditions which are capable of supporting different types of life.

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
A probabalistic analysis of the state of life on earth and how it was formed lead us to come to a few conclusions that can be held as facts:

1. It is possible that life can come about on a planet. This is evidenced by the fact that there is life on earth.

2. We live in a very large universe that has many trillions of stars. We are discovering now that many of those stars have planets, and thus logic would dictate that spread across these many many planets there would be some planets with similar conditions to Earth.

I would agree that probability is in favour of the existance of extraterrestrial life, and I would consider such a discovery inevitable. I, however, am a man who sincerely believes in science and I do not draw conclusions without evidence. Probability is not science and it doesn't decide the truth of things. Regardless of how likely something is to happen, there is a possibility- however remote- that it won't happen. As such I wouldn't be so brazen as to assume that life must exist merely because probability says so. Until we have concrete, irrefutable evidence that life exists elsewhere in the galaxy I don't believe that there is.

I should clarify, however, that I believe in extraterrestrial life. I don't think that intelligent life is likely to have made physical contact with us, but I still believe that life- in some form or another- is out there. I maintain an understanding, however, that what I believe and what I know are two very different things. Beliefs can be well reasoned or not but facts are indesputeable.