SF 1.40? Gimme a break!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VEX-1034

Apr 11, 2000
Mission Viejo, CA, USA
Visit site
Howdy y'all

When I read that SF 1.40 was out on this very site, I was really excited. I immedeately went to the SF homepage to download it, but I noticed the size of the package and practically vomited. 103 MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a bit big, don't you think? Well, I clicked the download button anyway, and the estimated time on my 56K modem was 67 hours, 11 minutes. Almost 3 days. I cancelled right then. I know they put a lot of effort into the mod already, but couldn't the SF team release a smaller version for those of us with smaller modems? Ugh.

Fortune

Feb 11, 2000
Visit site
Maybe you should try posting that to the SF forum. That way they could explain to you their reasoning. All of the maps from previous builds were redone for the much improved bot support, plus there are 11 new maps.

Oh, and ever here of GetRight? Just download over night or something.

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Yea!

They really don't think much of the 56k'ers out there. I mean they could make like a RAR archive or something. I'm just either gonna wait for it to go out on CD, or have my friend download it and network it off of him...

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
Ouch. You guys are right. It should come out on a PC Gamer disk or something. 103 MB will take my brother just over 5 minutes with Download Acc. + while he reads his mail... but it seems like the more they add (brand new models, skins, sounds, game types, etc.), the less within reach it becomes for modem users.

I remember a question like this on one of the forums, and the mod developer answered that he was looking into charging a few bucks (just for shipping) for a CD-R copy of the mod. That might be an alternative

I also realize some 56K users *can't* download over night or while at work, it's just not gonna work for whatever reason (isp, bad connection, family needs phone).

How big (file size-wise) is the final CounterStrike? That game is insanely popular, and surely more feature-packed than the current Strike Force and Tactical Ops.

Also, by my calculations, my old dial up would have fetched SF in right about 5 hours and 45 minutes assuming no discoes. Not terrible, certainly a lot more manageable than 3 days. Some may get it in under 5 hours.

VooDoo-EoS

Apr 17, 2000
The Netherlands
Visit site
True, it's a b*tch to download this puppy with a 56K modem, but there are some things to consider before making rash statements.
1. All the complaints here are valid for the bandwith-impaired, but I've seen 2 possible workarounds already.
2. Everybody wants loads of features and weapons, that's what you were given. It's only logical the filesize increases.
3. CounterStrike has 16 maps, whereas StrikeForce has 20.
4. Demo's and TC's nowadays are rarely smaller than 70 Mb (CounterStrike is 70 Mb).

I know it's frustrating, annoying, etc...having to wait before you can play, but I think the StrikeForce team has done a great job. Once StrikeForce is installed on your system I'm sure you'll agree :).

And then there's the additional cost of the phone call (for those of us who have to pay it). My phone bill is already sky-high without adding this kind of cost to it.

So, the bandwidth impaired will wait in the hope it will be released on a CD coverdisk, and when it finally is, the mod team will probably release v1.5, which requires ANOTHER 70+ meg download. And so the cycle will continue :)

Ah well, guess I'll be uninstalling UT after all.

Caspian

Aug 16, 2000
Visit site
I have a simple plan...

I'm planning on going to a friend who has DSL and taking my burner with me! I guess I'll have to back over there when the new version of TacOps comes out though :(

Ritz

Cracka
Nov 10, 1999
miami, FL
Visit site
ah but wait

counterstrike full version is 70 megs...but they also release an 'upgrade' patch with each new version if you already have an old version installed, and its only 30 megs...strike force should do the same

Fortune

Feb 11, 2000
Visit site
Like I said if you would post this to the Strike Force forums(what a concept huh?) they would tell you their reasoning. They would also tell you that they are going to try to get on a few magazine cds.
Also they are releasing it in 2 parts. The second part will contain even more maps.

Half of their beta testers are on 56ks too...