UE2 - UT2kX Problems with the vertex lighting, lines from one point

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dusky

Feb 25, 2010
Hi all,

a while back i posted about making this museum digitally. Well now im finished modelling and im importing it into unrealed. Now ive got a verticle problem (im guessing). It seems that the lines going through one point are visible by the shadow casted on the wall.

Ive added some screenies to show you what i mean. So far my efforts to clean it up by smoothing or seperating surfaces has been unsuccesfull.

Im wondering what the best way is to fix this problem?

P.S. Entire level is build in Cinema 4d using Static Meshes, Zones are divided, the area ive added consits of 4 static meshes: right, middle, left, entrance. This is probably the most detailed part so its most visible here.

Any help would be appreciated greatly because as im more used to high poly, dont give a **** modelling where clean models arent required. Therefore i have no idea how a fix would go.

Thanks for any insights,

Kenneth van der Werf

Attachments

• vert_problems.jpg
    vert_problems.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 11
  • vert_problems2.jpg
    vert_problems2.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 7
  • vert_problems3.jpg
    vert_problems3.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 9
  • vert_problems4.jpg
    vert_problems4.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 7

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Weld the vertices, if they aren't welded already, then use smoothing options. If this does not fix it, subdivide the problematic surfaces so you get more vertices per side that can receive lighting information.

Dusky

Feb 25, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for the quick tips, however theyve not helped so far. Im not quite sure how to use welding considering its now breaking my entire object because it melts points or vertices together. This however cant happen because im already at minimum vertices to keep the polygon object together. I tried subdividing but that actually makes it worse and almost crashes the engine.

So far im thinking smoothing is the way to go, however i cant get the smoothing to work. Think it might be a cinema 4d issue however i could use some more enlightenment on this.

Did you also have this problem? Do you have a before and after pic? How you cleaned it up? Fixed it?

Right now im thinking the biggest concern maybe that its all going to one point but im just not sure and i cant realign my whole model.

Greets,

Kenneth

randomreduction

Oct 25, 2008
Can't you just make the lighting in Cinema 3D and render it to texture? Vertex lighting doesn't look so good with simple static meshes.