UE1 - UT Question on exporting.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DoppelGamer

Feb 28, 2010
Is it possible to extract or export UT99 skeletal meshes with their animations from a .u file or through the editor? If so what programs could be used? If not, thank you for replying.;)

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
If you use Umodel, you would have to recompile the resulting PSK and PSA files.

UTPT and WOTGreal do not work for exporting Skeletal meshes/animations. UTPT usually breaks models and animations for me when I use it.
I only use UTPT for exporting textures and sounds and WOTGreal for exporting Static Meshes to OBJ then Milkshape to export it to Unreal .3D.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
man, I finally was able to export UT99 meshes with the UModel thing. It was hard to figure out how to use it since there isnt specific steps for doing so. Sadly, I have no use for them anymore lol... just wanted to try it out to see if they come out right, which they did.

Another thing, I wanted to export UT2k4 weapon meshes with UModel but I have it installed on another drive (E:). For some reason DOS is not recognizing it when I use "cd E:\Games\UT2k4\". Any ideas on how to do it correctly for drives other than C:?

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Move Umodel.exe and SDL.dll to the UT2004/Animations folder and export the package from there.

I already managed to port the Shock Rifle and Assault Rifle to UT :p

wivzgk.jpg

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
The problem is that I have it on a separate drive and cant get DOS to recognize the path. I really dont want to install UT2k4 on my C: drive just to get the models but I do want to port the weapons to UT99. I was also wondering if it is possible to set the polies from psa/psk to translucent, masked, modulated, etc, like you do with .3d files using UnrealFX.

btw, what did you use to run the commands for UModel and how? I ask because I had to do it different than that tutorial they had to get it working.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
You don't need to install UT2004 on the drive with uModel, just move the two files to the UT2004/Animations folder where you installed UT2004.

Then, open a command window there (On Vista or Win7, Hold Shift + Right-Click in the folder or CD there for XP users) and type the following:
Code:
Umodel -export weapons

This will export all the PSK and PSA files of the weapons. If you want the new UT2004 weapons (Assault rifle, link gun, shock rifle, sniper rifle) replace weapons with UT2004Weapons and for the Onslaught weapons, look for the Onslaught weapons package (Can't remember it's name.)

As for the style of the models, I don't think you can adjust it with Skeletal meshes. I've never even heard of UnrealFX, I'll look into it.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I was finally able to get it running on the other drive directory by using the following command on the command prompt: cd /D E:\Games\UT2004

I exported the weapons meshes with UModel with success and imported them into MilkShape and noticed that all the animations and bones imported as well. This is gonna be good because some weapons like the RocketLauncher, Minigun, AssaultRifle, need some rotating animations for a UT99 conversion. I just wonder if MilkShape will screw up the uvmapping of the models as it always do though, but you could probably just need the psa file.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
ok, I'm having some trouble with importing the psk file materials. Everything imported properly except for the 2nd material. It seems that something is not being recognized because it links the 1st material with the 2nd material which uses the same skin for both as if the model was a single mesh.

I checked the model out in Milkshape to see if the parts of the model show up as separate groups and they did show up correctly. Then, after having imported the model in UT99, I opened my file with UTPT to check it out and I noticed that it also showed two separate groups and not just one. I'm really confused as what's happening here, if it is a glitch or maybe something I missed in the commands for import.

I imported the ClassicSniper model that has a skin for the main model and another skin for the scope part. I'm pretty sure I did it right because I have imported psk/psa files into UT99 before and didn't get that glitch when I did. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong here since I can't find a solution and please post the commands you use to import the models as well.

here are the import commands for the ClassicSniper that I used:
Code:
// 1st person animated mesh PSK/PSA
#exec MESH  MODELIMPORT MESH=ClassicSniper MODELFILE=Models\SniperRifle_1st.psk LODSTYLE=10
#exec MESH  ORIGIN MESH=ClassicSniper X=0 Y=0 Z=0 YAW=-192 PITCH=0 ROLL=0
#exec MESHMAP   SCALE MESHMAP=ClassicSniper X=0.1 Y=0.05 Z=0.1
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=ClassicSniper NUM=0 TEXTURE=NewSniper1
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=ClassicSniper NUM=1 TEXTURE=sniper2

#exec ANIM  IMPORT ANIM=ClassicSAnims ANIMFILE=Models\SniperRifle_1st.psa COMPRESS=1 MAXKEYS=999999
#exec MESH  DEFAULTANIM MESH=ClassicSniper ANIM=ClassicSAnims
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Still   STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=1
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Select  STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=8 GROUP=Select
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Idle    STARTFRAME=8 NUMFRAMES=16 RATE=4.0
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Fire1   STARTFRAME=24 NUMFRAMES=9 RATE=11.5
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Fire2   STARTFRAME=33 NUMFRAMES=9 RATE=11.5
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Fire3   STARTFRAME=42 NUMFRAMES=9 RATE=11.5
#exec ANIM  SEQUENCE ANIM=ClassicSAnims SEQ=Down    STARTFRAME=51 NUMFRAMES=7
#exec ANIM DIGEST  ANIM=ClassicSAnims VERBOSE

Last edited:

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Your code is fine, don't worry.

The models are exported with all groups grouped as one (Strange side effect of uModel) You need to open the .PSK in Milkshape, and simply export it again and overwrite the original.

Just opening it and saving it seperates the groups for some reason.

Also, is this the UT2004 Sniper model you are porting?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I did use Milkshape to export the psk in order to fix the groups problem. Later, I re-did the whole thing but this time I welded it and set the SmoothingGroups of the model in Milk and noticed that the file size was smaller, so my guess is that something is not getting exported properly by UModel which is causing that glitch.

People exporting UT2k4 meshes will need to use MilkShape in order to fix them. All you have to do is Unweld (Ctrl+Shift+W) the model and then Weld (Ctrl+W) it again so it gets fixed properly.

Also, I had to edit the ClassicSniper model because it was way too high poly for the engine which caused my fps and performance to drop. I deleted those useless buttons from the model and got it from 824 visible polies to 672 polies and it looked even better. I'm trying to drop the poly count so that it performs better but it will take me a good time experimenting with Milk to get it right.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
I've managed to export almost all the UT2003/UT2004 weapon models, the Juggernaught player models and the UT3 Linkgun and Rocket Launcher with no errors and no performance loss in Unreal 1 or UT (I'm running a 1.6Ghz Dual-Core 2GB or RAM and a bad gfx card)

I never needed to make any adjustments in Milky apart from opening the PSK and exporting it, but only if the model had more than one material.

EDIT: I'll upload some test models tomorrow (UT2004/UT3) and you can see if you suffer any performance loss from them.

Last edited: