unreal wont run in xp opengl

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
i've had this problem ever since i upgraded to xp. if i try to start unreal in opengl mode, it simply disappears. if i try to change unreal to opengl mode, it disappears as well. it does this in v226 and v225f. v224 works fine, but GOD opengl is ugly as hell. i have to turn my monitor's contrast down about halfway for it to stop looking like some speed-induced color trip. there's also about a 30-40 fps difference between opengl and d3d, so thats why im not too keen on using d3d. i have the latest drivers for my video card. i've tried running unreal in compatibility mode, which doesnt do jack crap for anything else either. anyway, here are my specs:

p3 866 384
winxp home
gf3 ti500 w/latest det drivers (more recent than the 23.11)
1280x1024 32bpp desktop
1024x768 32bpp ingame

someone help me :(

*added*
btw, i also tried completely reinstalling unreal. no luck.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
btw, the difference between d3d and opengl is huge. i wish i could run d3d with opengl's performance. on ME, there wasnt any difference in quality between d3d and opengl, at least not such a pronounced one. what i noticed now though is that v224 also gives me screwed up artifacts in d3d, such as the ground showing through the weapon.

compare screenies taken in more or less the same area:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I run UT in opengl with XP and a GF3 Ti200 card and get 150-450fps depending on map. D3D just looks too bad....opengl is the only thing that looks good in my machine. Also I do not run the optional opengl patch avaliable so many places....just 436 with no .ini changes.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Windows XP doesn't include open GL drivers as default, after all, it's Microsoft's humble opinion that Direct X is god... yeah right!
anyway, just make sure that when you installed the dets, you allowed it to forcefully install, even though the driver isn't certified, and it should be fine. if re-installing the drivers doesn't help, try using the next detonator down from the one you're using now, just in case it's a compatability issue with that cersion