Who want to join their army ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you want to be in your army ?

• Yes, I will be or maybe. I would like that.

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No, never! Keep that in INF

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • I was. This time is my past know.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I cannot. (Health, etc..)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Hey I'm still in it !

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
RogueLeader - I love you man. You do know that they will never let you in a jet unsupervised...

I can't join anything. I have asthma. I can't even join the boy scouts.

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
Rostam: Would it really kill you to type to insted of 2 and for insted of 4 etc? Maybe it's just me but that is F<B></B>uckin' annoying!

oh and my answer to the question is, I'm thinking about it but i'm not sure, the major draw-back is that i would have to move about 2000km north, and i like it where i am now :( . But hey i might get there one day :) .

Iceman.

RavenStarSinger

I can make you die laughing or just shoot you
May 30, 2001
On the grassy knoll . . .
Visit site
My situation

I would love to enlist. I have always WANTED to enlist. My prob is two-fold.
1) I am overweight, and despite my attempts to lose the weight (including nearly starving myself and running nearly ten miles a day!!!) have failed miserably. I went to a doctor, only to find out that i AM one of those people who has a serious physical problem. My metabolism is so slow that I don't process the food I eat for months. I have managed to keep the same weight, but losing it is nearly impossibly aside from maybe surgery, or expensive chemical treatments to right the metabolic issue.
2) I broke both knees in a skiing accident, and they are both pinned. I was on a bunny slope, first time I ever went skiiing, and my instructor was too frickin busy talking to a snow bunny to instruct me. Needless to say, the guy just said "Yeah, just point down the hill, and turn from side to side" and sent me on my merry way. I ended up on my back on top of a 1994 (which was brand new, since it was December of 93 when this happened) BMW. Broke four ribs, my left arm, snapped both knees, my legs actually twisted about 180 degrees from the knees down... took me two years of therapy to walk correctly, and during that time, I put on a majority of the weight I carry now.

Still, I took the tests, and found that I was, other than the physical aspects, quite capable of Nuke Navy. They wanted to put me through "crash training" (I lied about my knees) to get rid of the weight, because they wanted to put me in training as a nuke engineer. Also, I spent some time with my brother, who enlisted in the Marines (fell of an A-Frame on the confidence course. . . the rope wrapped around his leg and broke it, then snapped and he fell another 45 feet or so onto his back, broke it in two places) and his recruiter, Staff Sargeant (sp?) Briggs, at the shooting range. He was very impressed by my marksmanship. I shoot an older Remington .30-06 bolt action, with fairly cheap Bushnel 6x optics, and was still putting in a nice 1x1 inch grouping at about 450m or so. His EXACT remark after our day at the shooting rank was "Son, if you weren't such a fat body, I would recommend you for the USMC Sniper Scouts. Keep shooting like that and get that fat ass in shape, and talk to me in a year or two."
Oh well, maybe some day.

RavenStarSinger, sorry about your knees. If you keep trying, you'll eventually enlist. Sniper core sounds awesome, but are you a good survivor? ;)

DLL, you <b>can</b> still join the military in the United States. Alot of my relatives are in the military, and some of them have asthma. I myself have quite a serious case of asthma, but when you are active, it doesn't affect you. Just run around alot, sure you may wheeze the first couple of times, but after that it becomes second nature :)

I have three choices when I graduate and become part of the armed forces. I have always wanted to join some branch of the armed forces, and I still do now. I would become either an Air Force pilot (preferably piloting F-15s, F-14s, or F-18S). Or I would join the USMC (United States Marine Corps) as either a riflement or some kind of special ops (Marine Force Recon). Of course, I know since I have asthma, I <b>might</b> not make it. So in that case I would join the army.

I am almost certainly going to sign up for some branch of the military when I get older. I just have a question for most of you former military guys. When you join up, did you do so before/after college? And if you didn't go to college, did the military influence your thingking?

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Elite soldier, you're on the french ground. Why not enlist in the foreign legion ?
clin.gif

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Elite_Soldier, how old are your relatives? The military is surprisingly selective nowadays; when I have my physical for the Army the little medical history sheet I fill out won't exactly be accurate- according to my recruiter the fact that I *USED* to have athsma problems might get me disqualified. I'm completely healthy now, but the fact that I wasn't so healthy 10 years ago is somehow enough for the doctor in Pheonix who my recruiter says "keeps cutting our balls off left and right with rediculous DQ's". And I'm supposed to be the type that the Army actively pursues; I've gotten a call from recruiters for every branch of the US military saying that my ASVAB scores were really high and they want me for their branch... even after I told them I had decided on the Army, they tried to tell me about jobs they have that are similar to being a ranger/special forces (which is what I plan on being). The Navy guy downright irritated me; even after I told him I hate cold and I hate water, and that my mind was made up, he still said "I dunno, I think you'd like being a SEAL more..." :rolleyes:

Whoops!

I stand corrected on my parents being in the military. They <b>were</b> in the military. Most are about 40-50 years old, so maybe it is outdated :(

Thats what stopped me from wanting to be a SEAL :) I am a godawful swimmer... part of the reason I don't want a huge part in the Navy.

Asthma doesn't really affect me all that much nowadays. I may need an inhaler about once a month if I do alot of heavy running on a day, but next to nil when I am doing nothing. They actually ask you if you have asthma? As a specific question?

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Where is the option: "screw the army, i'm going Navy" ?

I'm going to try for officer in our Royal Marines again, if i fail maybe i'll go army, but I hope it won't come to that.

BTW rostam, dutch marine corps is quite capable, if you ae serious you should try going for that. I know I am :)

As for as illnesses... LIE, LIE YOUR ASS OFF. Really they dismiss people if they tell em they have asthma, but if they manage to sneak it past them once they are hired they can get their asthma drugs at the local farmacy, and the service pays. kinda weird.

Last edited:

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Originally posted by Iceman
Rostam: Would it really kill you to type to insted of 2 and for insted of 4 etc? Maybe it's just me but that is F<B></B>uckin' annoying!

that wouldnt kill me but it types a whole lot faster! and i got used 2 it... really hard to type in different now that im used to it, but i will try...:D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
depends on how you translate it, Army is often interpreted as a countries entire military force.

For instance in Holland people often say leger (army) when they mean strijdkracht (military force).

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
WTF?!

"strijdkracht"

man, i will be very happy if i could say that word!
You dutch people have such a strange languge (where is that spell check!?)

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
I am almost certainly going to sign up for some branch of the military when I get older. I just have a question for most of you former military guys. When you join up, did you do so before/after college? And if you didn't go to college, did the military influence your thingking?

You want to fly fighters, you're going to have to go to college. You could do this while on active duty, utilizing the tuition assistance program (it pays 75% tuition). I only went to college for a year, right before I joined the Marines, and have not gone back since (I've been in 6 1/2 years now).

Did it influence my thinking? Hell yes. Before I was about a worthless human being who thought I knew it all (screw grammer, you get the idea:D ). Now I am a Great Human Being Who Does Know It All! j/k. Basically, you really tend to get wise to the ways of the world with a little traveling and time put under your belt. Besides, ain't quite nothing like putting a 20 year old Corporal in charge of $2.8 million worth of comm gear.

And there is no brainwashing. I am still an individual with individual likes, wants, and needs. If you're looking for brainwashing, go join a religious cult, because it just does not exist in the US Armed Forces.

Last edited:

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
I Still dont see the "No, I dont want to join the army and shave my head and be stripped of any individuality that I once had" choice :D :D

fighttheest.gif