UT requires no skills?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
Some friend of mine declared that UT DM, along with HL2-DM required no skills, and were just 'jank'fests. I googled up jank, and it basically means skilless, chance-based kills, I think he is wrong, what are your opinions?

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Well tell your friend if it doesn't require skill, then he should be able to beat the players who consider themselves "skilled" 50/50 since it's based on luck. Amirite?

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
try to win a deck16 dm match on a good server and see if skills are needed or not.
i am a good insta dm player..really but i saw players on regular weapons deck16 server who played like unbelieveble magic i tell ya.i realised i am just a noob in ut still after all the years.

also skillz are needed on bunnytrack/mh maps.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Some friend of mine declared that UT DM, along with HL2-DM required no skills, and were just 'jank'fests. I googled up jank, and it basically means skilless, chance-based kills, I think he is wrong, what are your opinions?

Your friend are probably just bad at UT so they write it off as being luck based. What do they usually play? CS or WoW

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Thoughts on the subject: (Warning, official Epic boards)

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702265&highlight=major+luck

'Course, that's UT3, but similar concepts apply.

To be fair FFA always has a decent sized amount of luck attached to it compared to any other gametype.

However just because someone is good at one gametype doens't mean they are good at all of them, even if the gametype you are good at is a type of subset of another. In FFA there are a ton of variables that are impossible to control unlike duel. A strong fragger can do extremely well in FFA but completly fail in duel because they have no strategy.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
@ Firetaffer

Your friend has got it all wrong. UT does require extreme skill.

Your friend simply hasn't developed his skills in UT. That's all.

Last edited:

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
To be fair FFA always has a decent sized amount of luck attached to it compared to any other gametype.

However just because someone is good at one gametype doens't mean they are good at all of them, even if the gametype you are good at is a type of subset of another. In FFA there are a ton of variables that are impossible to control unlike duel. A strong fragger can do extremely well in FFA but completly fail in duel because they have no strategy.

Yeah, I hadn't read the thread in a while, just adding information for consideration.

I did like the comment about Poker vs. a skill game, though... :D

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Thoughts on the subject: (Warning, official Epic boards)

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702265&highlight=major+luck

'Course, that's UT3, but similar concepts apply.

To be honest I have noticed some of that stuff. I do combos, pretty close to other guy, he gets like 20 damage. A guy shoots a combo at me, barely touches me with it and it does 70 damage. Same with rocket splashdamage and flak...

But the dude should calm down and learn to dodge rockets (or play less **** publics)