Resetting a router, will it affect WEP password?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Hey peeps once again.

I have a ZyXEL P-660HW-D1 router and I've forgotten my administrator password. Now, I've read in the user manual that you are able to reset the password to 1234 just by holding down the reset button on the router.

The main thoughts I've had with that is, I have a WEP based password to connect to the internet, but if I'd reset the router, would the password be reset to something else or completely disabled? If so, how could I set up the same password for the router again?

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
So you're saying I reset the router, connect to it via cable and log in using the password then, 1234, go to internet password somewhere, put in the password and put it on WEP and I'm good to go? And enable AFAIK wifi?

Last edited:

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
So you're saying I reset the router, connect to it via cable and log in using the password then, 1234, go to internet password somewhere, put in the password and put it on WEP and I'm good to go?
Right. And enable the WiFi if necessary.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
If you use WEP, you may as well not use it. It takes less than a minute to break WEP encryption under good conditions.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Are you saying I should rather use WPA? Or are you saying I should just have WEP encryption off? What are the prons and cons by doing so?

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
It's not horrible broken as far as I know so yeah. My personal preference is still cables though.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Just to make this clear, I reset the router, make it start again. Then, I connect to the web-based configurator via cable with the resetted password 1234, type in the old password for the internet, use WPA or just nothing as encryption, change the administrator password to something better and enable WiFi if necessary? Sounds easy enough.

Last edited:

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
Of course it's easy :)
By the way WEP is better than nothing. It's possible to hack WEP, but it's simplier to not hack at all :). And WPA offers good enought protection. However, it can reduce speed a bit.

P.S. After you set up the internet access (connection type, login, pass), you can ask us via cable about WiFi, WEP and other things. ;)

Last edited:

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Ohh, I got one more question, do I also have to rename the network itself? It's name now is Vodafone_Xi3, would I need to rename it to something else or just that name when I reset the router or does it keep the network name?

EDIT

Ahh doesn't matter now XDXDXD I found that the password was just admin. Mwaha XDXDXD

Last edited: