Can your system handle UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What framerates do you usually get while playing UT3?

• Total voters

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
When in spectate mode at the start of a bot game in Shangri La I get a minimum of 17fps, but that goes down a little during firefights. I've seen single digit numbers in some maps at worst during a game, and some custom maps often only get single digit minimums. I've only got a single core Athlon 64 3800+ though, so that won't help. Also only 7900GS, although I have 2Gb system memory. I play at 1024x768 with detail at 5/5, no AF or AA.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
There is another thread about framerates. A poll with more choices, but stricter requirements. Link

I didn't want to influence the results before, there have been complaints about the number of options and so on and there is a reason for keeping it simple. Either you have 60 fps or you don't. With 60 fps you should be comfortable playing the game and this is a way to check up on Epic if they designed a product that meets general system requirements of the public. They are steep, but you can kind of play with a lesser system too.

You can do my nightmare conditions test and see for your self how well Epic designed and tweaked their masterpiece to fit an average system.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Nothing, it's just that there's something wrong with me. I was apparently so stupid as to expect that buying a top-of-the-line nvidia graphics card when it first came out (8800GTX) would allow me to play an old "the way it's meant to be played" title like ut2k4 with a stack of mods at full detail, and burn the place down with stellar performance.

It turned out that for two years, ut2k4 was plagued with terrible, wretched stuttering problems because of a flaw in nvidia's drivers when running under WinXP. It was unplayable in most situations. They finally fixed the stuttering issue a few months ago, but a tech told me it would be at the expense of overall performance, which I think is the reason why it runs poorly now. It runs no better than with older hardware, I could have just saved my frickin' money.

Setting your weapons to hidden and turning off dynamic lighting solved that problem for most people I think.

As for UT3 I'm at 1024x768 ( ;x ) texture detail 3 and world detail 1 and all the BS fluff stuff turned off. The game still looks nice thought. I've capped my fps at 125 and can bring it down to 105 by moving my mouse around everywhere outside, but the minimum is 120 in one spot if my view is still.

edit: with everything maxed out I get 77fps in DPs trouble spot @ 1280x1024

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Setting your weapons to hidden and turning off dynamic lighting solved that problem for most people I think.

Like I said, that issue has been fixed in the drivers, but I think it cost in overall performance. I used to play with dynamic lighting off, which sucked, but I never wanted a hidden weapon.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Mine runs above 80 average, everything maxed out in 1280x1024, no AA, no blur too.
That's on a 8800GTS 512 and an e8400 with 2Gb of ram and XP sp3 32bits.

@ Sammael : I don't really think they fixed the stuttering at the cost of overall performances : on my 8800 UT2k4 runs butter smooth even with a lot of AA etc. I get like 1000+fps when looking on a wall D: And above 100 average in a botmatch on almost all maps.

zd.Osiris

Aug 20, 2008
115 FPS
resolution 800*600
minimal world details and bloom, blur and other effects off :)

System: Core2Duo 3.0GHz, GeForce 8600GT, 2Gb RAM

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I really don't think you'd notice much difference beyond 60 fps - it's just crazy wanting the game to run beyond that tbh

Lruce

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
I really don't think you'd notice much difference beyond 60 fps - it's just crazy wanting the game to run beyond that tbh

Lruce

You're wrong, it's easy to notice the difference actually. In UT3 framerate affects a lot my mouse accuracy, but also the overall feeling.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, I'm talking visually - you just don't need those kind of frame rates.
If you need 100+ fps for mouse accuracy then you really must suck at the game.

Lruce

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Yeah, I'm talking visually - you just don't need those kind of frame rates.
If you need 100+ fps for mouse accuracy then you really must suck at the game.

Lruce

I do suck at the game, even with 100+ fps D: but... I guess it's time to post this again :c http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

The human eye DOES see more than 60 frames per second. Actually the human eye doesn't even see simply see "frames" :p

zd.Osiris

Aug 20, 2008
I feel the difference between 115 FPS and 60 FPS. But not only by my eyes.
And besides, on some matches FPS can be lower, because of too much people playing or, heavy decorated map. That's why having FPS 115 is better. In that case your fps will be ~60, not 25 (what can happen, if your normal FPS=60)

2) The more FPS you have - the less time tooks processor to draw new picture, after receiving data from server. So FPS affects ping a little :)
Read this to understand:
http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I can understand a pro wanting super high frame rates and everything turned off, anything to give him/her that edge but seriously, any casual gamer would be happy with say 60fps, anything above that is just computer cock waving as far as I'm concerned.

Lruce