UE3 - UDK Odd lighting/shadow issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TBK50

Mar 6, 2011
So I've been creating a little test level and going through some of the video tutorials and I created a moving door that slides into a groove made in the wall. For some reason, when the door slides into the wall, on one side it shows the outline of the shadow of the door while it's in the wall, but nothing on the other side. I'm assuming this is a lighting issue but I don't have any work/cone lights shining into that wall and if it was the ones by the door I'd assume the shadow would show on both sides, anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?

Attachments

• shadow in wall.jpg
    shadow in wall.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 32

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?

The shadowmap is bleeding through the wall, this is a common problem with shadowmapping techniques and they pop up in a lot of engines.

In ue3 the dynamic shadows should merge with the lightmaps.

I don't know any surefire way to solve it, you'll have to ask someone else.
But do you have another (dynamic?) light shining onto the other side of the wall? Is the wall itself bsp or mesh? Switching those could perhaps do the trick.
Otherwise you could try having some open space for the door to slide into. Backface culling might be causing it also.

Last edited:

TBK50

Mar 6, 2011
The wall itself is bsp, but it's hollowed out in the middle for the door to slip in.

Foufoune_Rose

ǝsoɹ‾ǝunoɟnoℲ
I came to the idea that it couldn't be solved in UT3. For the french speakers, it's here.

It's stupid that the UDK don't offer another choice of dynamic lighting.
That's the main problem with it, is that the engine seems to be using a PCF in stencil buffer, without back culling (for performance's sake, I guess) but with a tricky cut using the BSP.

Deal with it. Unreal Engine has his weakness. It's one of them.