Request for comments on a new M203 aiming method

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
I really don't like the idea of selecting the range form a fixed set of ranges like the current implementation of the HK nade launcher. Remembering yurch's weapon alignment addition to RA got me thinking of a new way to aim the M203. I'd like to see a mutator that if you held down the alt fire button while the M203 was selected the weapon would enter tilt mode. While holding the button you could move the mouse up or down to tilt the weapon and select the range. This could work just like Beppo's Zoom mutator if fact the zoom mutator is not all that useful on the M203 as it sits. Hey yurch how hard would this be to do?

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
I see what you're saying. Kind of like a "tripod/bipod" effect. Yeah, that would be nice, but doesn't aiming "up" with the mouse essentially do that? That's how I aim even the HK69. I just have a natural "feeling" when I use the nade launchers. Good idea though.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Aiming up with the mouse normally makes it really difficult to fire accurately at longer ranges because the weapon gets in the way of what you are shooting at. You can move it between shots but that makes it difficult to adjust your fire onto the target.

Yeah, this method of adjusting the tilt sounds good.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
spm1138 said:
Aiming up with the mouse normally makes it really difficult to fire accurately at longer ranges because the weapon gets in the way of what you are shooting at. You can move it between shots but that makes it difficult to adjust your fire onto the target.

Yeah, this method of adjusting the tilt sounds good.
You do realise what the change weapon mode key does on the HK69? Now, if the M16/203 had ladder sights, I believe the same sort of thing would apply.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
This is an interesting idea. You would essentially have to align the ladder sights manually. I'm not sure if it's really necessary though. I guess if your target wasn't exactly 100, 200, 300, or 400 meters away you could tilt the gun so compensate, instead of having to aim with your target not belonging within the holes of the sights and being obscured by the spaces in between.

I think the M203 really needs to be accessed with the grenade launcher/weapon switch keys instead of the activate attachment key. How else are you going to switch between fire modes, ladder sight settings, ammo types, and other M16/M4 attachments all at once? We need to free up as many keys as possible. As it stands now, there's no button available to adjust the ladder sights if they were implemented. Plus, once this is done the key commands can finally be consistent with the HK69 instead of being illogically reversed.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Crowze said:
You do realise what the change weapon mode key does on the HK69? Now, if the M16/203 had ladder sights, I believe the same sort of thing would apply.
As I said before I don't really like this method of aiming. To me it feels really artificial. IRL you tilt the weapon to achieve the correct angle. I'm still somewhat curious as to how doable this would be, assuming someone created the correct ladder sites. Even if they didn't you could still eyeball it.

Last edited:

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
jayhova said:
As I said before I don't really like this method of aiming. To me it feels really artificial. IRL you tilt the weapon to achieve the correct angle. I'm still somewhat curious as to how doable this would be, assuming someone created the correct ladder sites. Even if they didn't you could still eyeball it.
I think "short of keys" shouldn't be an excuse... I don't think there should be a problem adding new keys for future versions, or am I wrong? :p

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
gal-z said:
I think "short of keys" shouldn't be an excuse... I don't think there should be a problem adding new keys for future versions, or am I wrong? :p

I was thinking of coupling the tilt function with the ALT Fire button. That is to say if you move the mouse up or down while holding the ALT Fire button the weapon tilts.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think this is a great idea. That same mutie should change the HK69 also. I hate having to block my view of the target in order to angle the gun enough to hit. Hipping can get around it a little, but you lose a lot of control over shot placement.

It would be nice to be able to simply aim the gun up, or to hold down altfire and use the ladder sights by tilting the weapon.

Streaks

Crunchings and munchings!
Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
jayhova said:

*scratching head*

Um...but when you use the ladder to aim the HK...it IS tilting the weapon. Try it and watch the weapon model, it moves. That's how the ladder sites work and all. :)

Streaks

Streaks

Crunchings and munchings!
Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
spm1138 said:
We're on about making it analogue and for the M203 as well.

Hrm.....well, personally I'd dislike it. I mean, ya it'd be cool to do all the aiming like that, but then we'd need two mice and foot pedals as well as a full HOTAS for each hand :)

If you want to aim it analogue then just impliment a way to site down the weapon with the ladder closed and use iron sites or something. Or just don't use the sites at all and it IS analogue :D

Streaks

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Streaks, you are TOTALLY missing the point. You don't need extra keys or anything. When the altfire button is held, the m203 can be aimed by tilting it. Moving the mouse up will tilt the weapon up, down will tilt it down.

The reason for this, is that when tilt-aiming, the weapon's sights will be able to be aligned on target. Normally, you have to look to the sky to shoot the nade far.