UT buddy system... the wait is over!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Good Points...

Fear the Beard:: Much Thanx for the Uscript tut's

M4dm4N:: I will look into extracting the umod file so you can manually install it.. I created the umod using the umod creator...*hhmmm*

Swedix|PuF:: Good Point! Currently I have UTbuddy as a partial mod (the in-game browser). It installs and works like a mod... CSHP does not give me a problem. This is probably cuz I only wrote Uwindow classes (for the browser). However, if I start playing with the "game" Uscript classes, then CSHP will probably detect it.. Ill have to keep that in mind.

Much Thanx for all the input gang! Keep it coming.. you have an idea? think it would be a cool UT mod? ...or a standalone app? think something should have been in UT and wasn't included? Tell ME!

-peace-

. ..:: StonedMonk {CiC}
. ..:: UTbuddy@hotmail.com
. ..:: UTbuddyID: 8
. ..:: http://www.phused.com/UTbuddy
. ..::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
I've installed UTBuddy and its working great, I can find my friend Rh71 all the time now. We used to have to sit in the ingame IRC channel and check back, always getting timed out etc. Good job StonedMonk!

MM

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Thanks

Im glad people are getting use from UTbuddy.

If any one is having problems running UTbuddy please email me at: UTbuddy@hotmail.com

PLUS:: dont forget, if you want to tell a friend about UTbuddy, use the link at the top of your buddy list in the client/browser.

..much thanx & peace..

seventhsinner

Jul 24, 2001
uk
www.seventhsinner.f2s.com
Nice One Stoned !

The UTBuddy system is a great idea... Works well too.

So lets get this straight. You just get home from work and fancy fragging some mates. But where are they ???

IRC is a pain, they're not answering the phone, the UT GUI just doesn't help in anyway.

But, oh yeah, we installed UTBuddy. Look there they are now, cool. Join server and fragtastic !!

It's ideas like this that need all of us to support it. It works. So if it works for you, tell everyone you know about it. Eventually game makers might consult some of us, before they release.

Cool.

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
working on it...

M4dm4N:: I will extract the umod and send you directions on how to install it manually. The in-game UTbuddy browser is a MUST for any serious fragger / UTbuddy user. Thanks for using UTbuddy! As they say in New York: "You Da Man!"

..much thanx & peace..

M4dm4N

InstaGib Man
Jul 20, 2001
Visit site
Thank you very much, please send it to xxmadmonkxx@aol.com. You should probably have a non UMod zip file on your site, in case this happens to someone else. And are you making a MAC version? THe UMOd should work but not the regular file. And I think in the next version let us talk to our buddies! It would be useful when you are waiting for those damn servers to ping. And one more idea, on the actual list you should have online and then in-game so we know if our buddy is in the game, or if he's just UTBUddy and available for chat. Great job!

I just thought of another question, how do you make a batch file? And how would I make one that loads UT and UTBuddy at the same time?

Last edited:

Frik_A_Frag

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
Is there any way to make it start minimized, so it goes right to the system tray? If I could do that I'd just let it load with windoze.

Also, I tried a batch file, loading UTbuddy first. But UTbuddy always makes UT go to the background when it is done with whatever it is doing. Can you make it stay in the background so it doesn't knock UT to the background. If I could make a 5 second pause in the batch file between loading the two it would probably work but I don't know how to do a pause for a certain length of time in a batch file. Anyone know how?

Also - maybe you could make it work so that when I click a hyperlinked server in the buddy list it starts unreal tournament with that server OR right click functions to do that. At this point I don't think I can ever copy the ip can I? That would be helpful too...

Don't get me wrong - the program is great and I'll keep using it and am working on my friends too...

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Whoa... my apologies

Very sorry folks for the delay in getting back to all the UTbuddy users out there. My inbox overflowed with messages.. UTbuddy had a GREAT response! These are all good problems :)

Now, on to it::

M4dm4N:: First, thanks for your ideas.. I'll note them for any future releases. ;) An email is on it's way to you containing a zip file. The zip file is the UTbuddy package for the in-game mod but it's not in .umod format. Just unzip it into your UnrealTournament\System directory and you should have the in-game browser. Also, as you suggested, I'm putting this zip file up for download in case anyone else has this problem with umod files.

MAC Version?:: heh, wow... this is cool. I am chatting with someone about getting a MAC version. Check the website from time to time regarding this. (plus, Ill post here..) :)

DOS Batch File:: Good questions!
basically to create a batch file to execute UTbuddy then UT you would open notepad (or you favorite text editor) and do something like:

C:\<path to UTbuddy>\UTbuddy.exe
C:\<path to UnrealTournament>\System\UnrealTournament.exe

then save the file as "RunUT.bat" (or whatever) and make a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Randy_M:: As far as the timing issue, I'll have to consult my BatchFile programming guru in the office about this one. Good point tho. Next release, Ill make an option to have it lauch minimized. :p

Hyper-Linked:: The Hyperlinked server IP addresses that are displayed in UTbuddy are URL'd with unreal:// so this should launch UT and connect you to the game if your system is set to "associate" the protocol.
To test this, goto:: Start->Run, type:
unreal://<ip address of a UT server> press enter.
UT should fire up and connect you to the machine. If it doesn't you can add the association by opening up your registry::

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unreal.Link]
@="Unreal Link"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unreal.Link\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\UnrealTournament\\Help\\Unreal.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unreal.Link\Shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unreal.Link\Shell\open]
@="&Play this Unreal level"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unreal.Link\Shell\open\command]
@="C:\\UnrealTournament\\System\\UnrealTournament.exe \"%1\""
*NOTE: BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY!

Finally, the in-game browser should allow you to connect to servers from within UT but just clicking on the server IP address.

Okay... I think I got everyone.. If there are more questions, please post them or send in email. Much thanks to everyone running UTbuddy & thanks for your patience!