Any chance at UT live?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Does it really matter any more what the hell anyone calls it? As much as I loathe the UT99 moniker, as there was no mention of "99" in the game other than the year of publishing, I say let the imbeciles call it what they will. But anyone who says the name is officially UT99 is truly not a real UT fan or player. Believe me, I've had someone tell me that it IS called UT99 on the box.

Back on-topic, I'm not sure what purpose such a business model would do for Epic. Is it an indication that giving away a "free" game will bring in more dollars when those same freeloaders decide to actually purchase a game? Hardly. Is it the potential for advertising dollars that could open Epic's eyes? I seriously doubt it. Their big cash cows are the Gears series and licensing and supporting the Unreal Engine. Supporting a browser-based UT game of any old-school flavor does not fit in their operation, as there would be little, if any, payoff.

id, on the other hand, has a much different vision. They appear to have a model in work that may be similar to Steam, in that you have a user client to connect and then you enter the game application. Several game companies are going this route, but not by using the same methods. The only difference is that Quake Live is free for now. But what about in the future when they may want to use this operational concept to release a new Quake game on a new engine? You think that will be free? Nope.

As for UT Live or whatever it could have been called, at least we can live with the idea that it would NOT be called UT99 Live.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
So it's you guys that cry in the tags!? xD

Unreal Tournament = UT99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT3

How else (specially when talking in a non-UT99 forum) do you want people to figure out you're speaking about the specific title rather than the franchise as a whole?

Calling it UT when it was released and the only title in the series worked, doesn't work now though.
Get over it :)

I added the "no it is not UT99" tag as answer to it is UT99 tag, but that "it wasn't called UT99" I never added, dunno who adds that.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
When comparing Quake Live to Unreal Tournament you can clearly see how far ahead Quake Live is when it comes to graphics and server browsing. Why the comparison? UT and Quake III Arena was both released 1999.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Quake 3 had a terrible server browser, the Quake Live server browser is nothing like the one they had in Quake 3. Also the engine has had a tune up, which is probably the reason why it doesn't work well on my laptop (that or it simply doesn't like the geforce 420 go). Anyway, the Quake Live server browser doesn't even come close to the server browsers of UT or UT2004.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
So it's you guys that cry in the tags!? xD

Unreal Tournament = UT99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT3

How else (specially when talking in a non-UT99 forum) do you want people to figure out you're speaking about the specific title rather than the franchise as a whole?

Calling it UT when it was released and the only title in the series worked, doesn't work now though.
Get over it :)

This is only the second time I had put in the tags "it is UT99". I didn't mean to post it in the thread, my bad for throwing the thread off topic.

I agree with what you said about the name thing, to the franchise is UT.

UT Live would be awesome, but it would never happen. I am not surprised by ID doing it, that is the kind of company they are, but not Epic.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Anyway, the Quake Live server browser doesn't even come close to the server browsers of UT or UT2004.

I have not logged on since the closed Beta, but i really liked the browser for Quake live. I liked everything about the game as well, I liked the site. THe only problem was I was not used to the game play, I am so accustomed to 2k4 movement, that I have a hard time in fast paced shooters now.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Tell me what is so great about the server browser in there? It has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen!
It just picks you up matching matches, but only if the skill system worked right, it didn't and it didn't count any matches I played for me and I doubt they fixed it all...
It randomly took me to some matches and that is great system? No it is not, I want to be able to play at any server I choose, not at generated list of stupidity.

borsdy

Apr 12, 2004
I would play a browser-based UT99, too bad it will not happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
does she know your using it
?

Yes. She was looking at my "tattoo help" thread and we got to talking about avatars and she did not like having another womans breast as mine, so I said "let me use yours then". She doesn't think people pay any attention to them, I told her that people notice when they are boobs. So there they are :D

I got nothing to be ashamed of, I love them :p If i could get everyone to use it, that would be awesome. Just so I could see her reaction. priceless.

Last edited:

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
Is there any way we can get a pic with less clothing? I'd use it as my avatar then. Maybe a skimpy bikini and some jiggling in an animated GIF.

UT99.jpg

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it either, but I also place the chances of it happening at slim to none.

What I'd rather see is them making the original game 100% free, even if they do some in-game advertising to backup the server costs.

A wet dream would be for them to release the source code in even an extremely limited manner, but seeing as parts of UE3 still use UE1 code (Core.u...) I doubt that this'll ever happen, which is a shame, because it's starting to get harder and harder to run UT on newer systems. It's nigh impossible to enjoy the game without Chris Dohnal's enhanced renderers, for example (game runs too fast) and on Vista you need to install a hack for the server browser list to work (as otherwise it goes way too slowly.)

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Is there any way we can get a pic with less clothing? I'd use it as my avatar then. Maybe a skimpy bikini and some jiggling in an animated GIF.
]

She is not to keen on nudity, i have been trying for a while. Granted, I could pull some old party videos, but that would get me in trouble.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Unreal Live! I like it already.

Oh, and that thing about seeing more of her. You could buy her a fancy mask to cover her face and give her a pon star name with a decent generator. This is for anonymity and role playing. You should get her some nice underwear too, but nothing really beats nudity. All this might sound a bit kinky, but the more you think about it, the more you want to do it. Of course you can take pictures too. When she feel comfortable enough being nude in front of a camera you can ask her to reveal her face by removing the mask. It's important that you make her feel wanted and adorable. Tell her that she have a beautiful and lovely body. She want to do this the right way, so make her feel secure.

Now, can we go back to Unreal Live?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Time to revisit this thread.

I spectate Quake Live matches on a daily basis. It's a very precise game and interesting to watch.

With official servers only, everyone would be able to observe every game played online. Just go to the Godlike servers and watch the pros play like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.