Mass Effect 3 "exclusives" are starting to pop up.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Gamestop: You get the N7 "Valkaryie" Rifle and Defender Armor.

710x330_ME3.jpg

Bestbuy: You get the Argus Rifle

f_mass3gun120101_03.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat262100050006&type=category&h=387

Amazon will probably get something soon, it may be a 10$ gift card but I'm hoping it's something really awesome in-game to offset the price of the SE since everyone seems to be doing this stupid retailer exclusive shit Let's just hope that the origin copy doesn't get anything exclusive.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
All I want is for them to put the fracking game on Steam. I honestly don't hate Origin, but I honestly don't particularly like it either.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Exclusive DLC nonsense is just damaging for the consumer in the end. It discourages competition and puts the indie retailer in a pointlessly poor position :/

This is true, but there is also an upside for the savvy and less-than-legal consumer; via piracy, it is (usually) possible to acquire any and all "exclusive" pre-order DLC even if you didn't pre-order the game.

Pre-order exclusives never seemed worth it for me anyways; they seem to be more of a gimmick than something that noticeably increases value.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
The Witcher 2 made all their pre-order dlc free for all registered users after a while, that's how it should be done.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Exclusive DLC nonsense is just damaging for the consumer in the end. It discourages competition and puts the indie retailer in a pointlessly poor position :/
So agree, nevermind the fact that most DLC is WAYYYYY overpriced and completely worthless to your game experience.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
The Witcher 2 made all their pre-order dlc free for all registered users after a while, that's how it should be done.

Same with Valve and L4D2. The baseball bat was initially a pre-order bonus, which would guarantee the bat as a melee weapon in the beginning of each round. Then they removed that and the bat became a standard weapon.

Edit: I couldn't care less about any exclusive DLC in ME3, all I do care about is if it is Origin-only or not, which it most unfortunately likely is.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
IDGAMFS (I don't give a mo**********g s**t) if it uses Origin, GFWL, StarForce, SecuROM, or my late grandma upgraded to 2.0 -- any kind of DRM is bad to the bone. I'll buy it only when there's a crack to apply to it.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The amount of pirating that's going to happen with this game from it being Origin exclusive is going be hilarious.

It still baffles me how EA thought Origin was a good idea.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Baffles me too, but here's something. EA didn't stop Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning from going on Steam. That's an EA title. I know, doesn't make any sense, right?

Also: If you do play through the kingdoms of amalur demo, you get some gear for ME3. Chakram Launcher and some shitty armor that doesn't worth a damn.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The amount of pirating that's going to happen with this game from it being Origin exclusive is going be hilarious.

Really? Because I don't think so. And it's not Origin exclusive, it's just not on Steam.

Baffles me too, but here's something. EA didn't stop Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning from going on Steam. That's an EA title. I know, doesn't make any sense, right?

Looks like Kingdoms of Amalur is an EA Partners game rather than wholly owned subsidiary like BioWare. Could be that there's a different approach to publishing as an EA Partner.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Really? Because I don't think so. And it's not Origin exclusive, it's just not on Steam.
No matter where you buy it from it requires Origin, so I'd say that's pretty much an "exclusive". I don't know what the piracy rates will be, if they are high, though, they won't see it as a sign of what they've done but of what they need to do.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mass-effect-3-figures-include-exclusive-dlc

Let's see how far EA are going to go with this.

Awesome: There are four action figures coinciding with the release of ME3.
Sucky: They each have exclusive DLC tied to them. They're $18 each.
Dbl Sucky: They are only available in the USA.

I'm willing to be the DLC is the ability to use that character in ME3. Guess which four it is. That's right, the important ones from previous games that you probably want to import from ME2:
ab1143f409af3266c6a58935dae0f65f.jpg

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
In equal measure I hate pre-order exclusives for both existing and for "ending up free later anyway"

Pre-order bonuses, especially when they're exclusive to retailer are fifty-two shades of stupid. They punish the consumer for not researching something fully that the publishers themselves wont fucking tell you about, you simply have to visit each store and hope they've bothered to include their pre-order bonus if they have one in the description.

Also if it's going to end up free anyway wtf makes it exclusive? I'm happy to not have to pay and even happier to have non-exclusive content but if i pay to get something early so i can have a bonus "exclusively" only to find out i would've gotten it later anyway, I just wasn't told by the damned publishers, then that developer can fuck right off in future. Exclusive early-access should be a new term coined for games offering future DLC as pre-order incentives imo, especially as by the time it's released you couldn't give a crap about having a different shade of yellow on your assault rifle or whatever

Look at Batman Arkham City for example. Depending on where you bought it you got either a Exclusive Joker's Carnival challenge map, a Penguin's Iceberg Lounge challenge map or Robin as a playable character.(Which they don't mention is only useable in challenge maps but was fairly obvious in truth) Also there was an array of places you could get alternate Batman textures as well.

So which do you buy? One of the map versions? Personally I wanted the Joker map but if i pre-ordered for that i'd have to pay significantly more due to the store marking it up, same goes for the Penguin map(though that was a "collectors edition" or something) the cheapest pre-order i could get was the Robin one and I always kinda preferred him in theory anyway so I got that. Shortly after the games release Robin is offered as paid-DLC, no mention of the maps. Did i miss out?
Nope, turns out, against the odds, i made the right choice, the Joker and Penguin maps ended up getting released bundled, everyone who bought the pre-order with one or the other had no choice but to pay for both to get the other.
It took a ludicrously long time to release however, far longer than most people were still playing the game i suspect. Why can't these things be announced properly, upfront, by the publishers, isn't that their blasted job? It's like publishers just want to make the whole purchasing process tiresome.

Don't get me started on the recent Mortal Kombat game that had different bonuses depending on which country you are but had identical descriptions/prices but far poorer quality products to offer.

As for Origin, I'm not touching that with a barge-pole once i've finished playing BF3. It's been a massive pain trying to perform the simple task of playing a game simply because of that arbitrary bit of software and i refuse to go through it again.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
and I always kinda preferred him in theory anyway
:p

I've got my own DRM rant to share: EA has been pissing me off lately. I bought the Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition for my brother on steam. Ultimate Edition means it comes with the expansion pack Awakening and all the DLC. Why can't that just be the end of it then? Buy the Ultimate Edition -> get the Ultimate Edition -> play the Ultimate Edition...
But no, first I had to register the Ultimate Edition on some Bioware website. Ok, so far so good. Kind of annoying but what are you gonna do...
You'd think that was it then, but even though you specifically registered the Ultimate Edition (i.e. the one with the DLC) you have to "redeem" the DLC separately!
Why. the. eff. do I have to register the DLC separately and authenticate it?
Ok, so I did that too, but I still couldn't access it! It just said "unauthorized" ingame. So I spent a significant amount of time googling the problem and the solution is that I go to the service manager and activate the Dragon Age Updater service manually... Ok, did that. Stuff finally worked. So the next day I present the stupid game to my brother, he loves it, plays for a while.
The next day he wants to play on but the game won't let him because his save game is using DLC he doesn't own.
How is that possible if he has the Ulti-effing-mate Edition and I spent half a night getting the effing DLC authorized? Well, turns out that every time he wants to play the service has to be started up manually or the game won't let him access his DLC... We bought it on steam ya dopes. We registered it on your dumb website. We let you screw around in the innards of our system with your stupid "service". Could you leave us alone now? Jesus.

It's just one giant, completely unnecessary cluster-eff.

And all the while, while you're sitting there at night, working to get something working you just bought, you have just one thought racing through your mind: Pirates don't have to put up with this.:rolleyes:

Last edited: