UE3 - General .u files - decompiling them

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

owenisred

Sep 9, 2010
Hi everyone - I'm totally new here - and I'm really sorry about this if I have posted in the wrong area, sure a mod will move it if I have.

Anyway I have been working for DAYS on a way to import VERY old .u files into some program and extract its contents in a way modern games can use. I tried to import them using udk, but there was an error message.

Does anyone know a way?

Thanks a LOT,
Owen.

WhirlWindWabbit

Level Designer
Aug 13, 2010
Slovenia
Seeing as noone answered you, I'll just say that I don't really think there is a proper, or even legal way to decompile these files. I'm not 100% sure, you might be able to extract something from them (usually some meshes), but those things are prone to errors and can mess up your final result. Like I said, I'm not really sure. You might want to check up with the guys at Unrealsp.org, they're bound to know more.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
Depends on what exactly you are trying to do, but I would attempt to use either BatchExportCommandlet (a commandlet that comes with many Unreal Engine games) or UTPT (UT Package Tool).

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Actually, decompiling doesn't give you default properties, but viewing the script does. I guess that if the code is stripped you can't view it, though.